Ellis Paul opening for Sugarland! - Sept. 3, 4, 5, 2010

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Ellis Paul opening for Sugarland! - Sept. 3, 4, 5, 2010

Postby KarenZ » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 pm

Any of you planning to see Ellis open for Sugarland over Labor Day Weekend during their Incredible Machine Tour? Dates and locations below:

Sept. 3, 2010 - State College, PA - Bryce Jordan (Penn State) Center
Sept. 4, 2010 - Cooperstown, NY - Doubleday Field
Sept. 5, 2010 - Gilford, NH - Meadowbrook

Tickets available HERE.

A Road Trip may be in order! :-)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: Opening for Sugarland - Sept. 3, 4, 5, 2010

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:19 am

Paddy,

You're not that far from State College, PA. ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:05 pm

We have been talkin about going to the Pa. Show for some reason in my mind it was in the sweetest place on earth, Hershey, Pa. :oops:

But yes, I do believe we will be there!!! :)

Kind of late in the game so we will likely be sitting next to that guy that does the tv commercial where he is up in the nose bleed section....

Good old Bob "in the front row!" Uecker. :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:38 pm

Well.....the stars aligned and I'm going to the show in State College, PA on Friday! :shock: Woo hoo! I am soooooooo excited I can hardly stand it! :mrgreen:

Yes, I'll report back and hopefully have some pictures and a video or two. :P

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:41 pm

Still workin on the boss! :roll: :wink:
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:23 am

Have fun Karen and if by any remote chance he and Kristian Bush do 'Paper Dolls' I hope that you get to video it :)

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:41 am

Jela,

Ooh-la-la. That would be the perfect encore number.....and a perfect segue too! I do believe in miracles! :D

KarenZ

Richard + Jela wrote:Have fun Karen and if by any remote chance he and Kristian Bush do 'Paper Dolls' I hope that you get to video it :)

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:16 am

I'm lovin the possibilty of the "Paper Dolls" duet and hope they capitalize on the chance to shine a soft light on their beautiful duet from the CD that, afterall, Kristian Bush produced. I say go for it!
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:40 am

I hope Ellis is reading this!

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:06 am

i am looking forward to reading the setlist. we were asking ellis about his setlist for these shows, and i know he is putting a lot of effort into choosing the perfect songs.

he only gets 20 minutes.

i chose maria's, but was vetoed. i also chose a few he said were on the list.

if you had to choose 5 songs for pop-country fans who've never heard of ellis, what would they be?
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:15 am

Bonnie,

Great question! Here's my 5 songs:

1. Annalee
2. River Road
3. Once Upon a Summertime
4. She Was
5. 3000 Miles

(I've changed my mind several times!) :-)

KarenZ
bonuela wrote:if you had to choose 5 songs for pop-country fans who've never heard of ellis, what would they be?

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:31 am

Yes, the list changes.. since he has a band with him I think they have to be part of every song or they would look akward just standing there.. so I guess Hurricane Angel is out ..

Annalee

River Road

Black Top Train

3000 Miles...

( Rose Tattoo is my slow song choice)

When Lori Mckenna opened for Faith Hill and Tim McGraw..on the last night of her gigs (which happened to be her hometown Boston show) the band was called back on stage for the encore .. but I don't think that stuff happnes all the time. everything is such a business decision.

So I guess Ellis won't be playing Kristian's Song :lol:
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:31 am

Great question, Bonnie!

1. Rose Tattoo
2. Annalee
3. River Road
4. Hurricane Angel (will EP play piano?)
5. Jukebox on My Grave

* would love to see Walkin After Midnight/Things Change

** Rollaway Bed would be fun, too!

*** whatever you do, Ellis, skip Calendar Man! :P
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:50 pm

With the audience in mind my suggestions would be:

Annalee

River Road

Walking After Midnight/Change

Rose Tattoo

The World Ain't Slowin' Down

...and then Kristian could call Ellis up during Sugarland's set to sing Paper Dolls.

When the audience isn't familiar with a musician's body of work, I think it's a good idea to throw in a well known/classic cover so Walking After Midnight would fit the bill nicely (?)

Most of the songs need to be from TDAEC but finishing off with TWASD would get the audience participating, even though they may not know the song, they'll pick it up quickly.

Yes, great question Bonnie.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: Ellis Paul opening for Sugarland! - Sept. 3, 4, 5, 2010

Postby KarenZ » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:14 am

Promotion for Sugarland's Labor Day weekend shows is starting to appear. Each mentions Mr. Paul, of course. :-)

(Friday show)Sugarland brings country rock to the BJC (The Daily Collegian)

(Saturday show)Sugarland will preview new CD in Cooperstown (Press & Sun-Bulletin)

(Sunday show)Sugarland returns to Meadowbrook on Sunday (Laconia Citizen)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:57 am

Great publicity for the shows and comments about 'sell-out' are so encouraging as it means that lots and lots and lots of people will get to hear Ellis sing.

So looking forward to your report Karen.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:40 am

We kept a close eye on the clock throughout the evening last night with conversation surrounding Ellis playing the first of three shows opening for Sugarland this weekend. At around 7 we were imagining Ellis backstage warming up and surely amped up for what was about to take place. It continued for the next 90 minutes or so....he's probably on now when it got to be 8ish and on to he's done it around 845. As I eagerly search for reviews of the show online or reports here I managed to find a youtube of Sugarland performing last night at Bryce Jordan Center. Wow!!!

Sugarland at Bryce Jordan Center closing for Ellis Paul

:D
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:37 am

Hi everyone,

Sorry I didn't manage to get a report posted any sooner. I will let the pictures and two videos that I shot tell the complete story. In a word, Ellis Paul was GREAT! :D He was joined on stage by Michael Clem (bass), Rusty Speidel (guitar), Stuart Gunter (drums), and Matty Metcalfe (accordion, banjo, electric guitar).

What a thrill knowing that so many people got to hear Ellis perform four of his amazing songs! 8)

We all did very well predicting the setlist!:

"River Road"
"The World Ain't Slowing Down"
"3000 Miles"
"Annalee"

I am so grateful to have been there as a witness! :-) Oh! And I got to meet Annie Clements - Sugarland's bass player - after the show! :shock:

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:17 am

What a wonderful experience for you Karen. Looks as if you had good seats too.

Thanks so much for posting; lots of us have been wondering which songs Ellis chose to play and like you said we didn't do so bad did we in predicting which ones he'd play.

monicar

Postby monicar » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:07 am

Great choice of songs and so glad all went well. Wouldn't have thought any different!!!!!!!!!!!!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:24 am

Last night after watching the videos a few times Pam suggested that Ellis should have played his signature song Maria's Beautiful Mess and I came up with a half dozen reasons why that would not have worked in this setting. She also wondered aloud how much thought went in to choosing which songs to play. The word that came to mind was PLENTY!!! I like the way they ended with Annalee, the first song on the new release. Perfect!
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:53 am

Penn State's The Daily Collegian published this review of the show:

Sugarland plays BJC by Hannah Rishel

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:00 am

You always save the best for last and the reviewer supports the notion with her comment that Bottom Line: Ellis Paul opened for Sugarland! :D
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:06 pm

I just love a positive thinker! :-)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub wrote:You always save the best for last and the reviewer supports the notion with her comment that Bottom Line: Ellis Paul opened for Sugarland! :D

emilyg

Postby emilyg » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:54 pm

Karen, thank you for posting all the press, youtubes and photos from the show. I can only imagine what an amazing experience it was!!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:27 pm

It sure was, Emily! Glad you liked the videos, etc! :-)

KarenZ

emilyg wrote:Karen, thank you for posting all the press, youtubes and photos from the show. I can only imagine what an amazing experience it was!!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:18 pm

Just saw this on facebook via Sugarland and had to share to give a bit more insight on the Incredible Machine Tour Ellis Paul just opened 3 shows for. Gives me cause to quote Mr. Paul, once again:

"once we're inside it's a carnival ride"

Sugarland Incredible Machine Tour Recap

8)
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:14 am

An article published in today's The Daily Star (see link below) says:

Ellis Paul was the opening act and he was very good;
:-)

More than 6,000 turn out for Sugarland in Cooperstown by Tom Grace

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:57 pm

Meant to set tivo for Sugarland on Today Show but forgot and missed it luckily we have youtube to rely on for instant gratification and I am not talking about the cheerleaders in near bikini attire!!! :shock:

Or am I??? :D

Sugarland on Today Show
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:03 pm

Folks,

Kristian Bush joined Ellis for "Annalee" at both the Doubleday Field and Meadowbrook Pavilion shows. Also, at the Meadowbrook Pavilion show, Ellis had a 30-minute set and played: "River Road", "3000 Miles", "The World Ain't Slowing Down", "Maria's Beautiful Mess", "Hurricane Angel" and "Annalee".

Here he is with Kristian at Doubleday Field. (I think these were taken during the soundcheck.)

KarenZ

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:07 pm

Nice pair of pictures of what looks to be a lot of fun. Thanks Karen !
Jeff

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:34 pm

This one just came across the facebook via Sugarland

The Bee Gees Sugarland Style 8)
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:53 am

Makes me wish I had gone to the concert.. they really look like they have a great fun time....

Did you happen to notice the color of Kristian's guitar.. looks a lot like the one Ellis took for a jump in the lake :shock:
Last edited by Patti on Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

Return to “3000 Miles”