Watercolor Cafe - Larchmont, NY - Aug. 8, 2010

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

sarshik

Watercolor Cafe - Larchmont, NY - Aug. 8, 2010

Postby sarshik » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:23 pm

What luck! I live in MA, and have seen Ellis more times than I can remember at the local MA venues, including his 20th anniversary shows at Club Passim. I have to drive to NJ on Sunday evening to be ready for a work meeting on Monday. Thankfully, this web site, as well as the WFUV web site, listed Ellis' concert in Larchmont on Sunday evening. How cool is that - to break up the ride - and get an out of state Ellis experience. My friend that I'm riding with has been eager to hear the song "Clarity" since he wrote it on a paper airplane at Natick Center for the Arts. I, on the other hand, would love to hear "The Speed of Trees". I'm sure you still have your lyric sheets from the 20th anniversary celebration! Looking forward to the show. Thanks, Carol

paddyinthepub

Re: Larchmont, August 8th

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:58 am

S E R E N D I P I T O U S :!:

Adj.

When Ellis is playing in a place you're going to be

8)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

sarshik

Postby sarshik » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:24 pm

I wanted to let everyone know how amazing Ellis was at the Watercolor Cafe in Larchmont, NY on Sunday night. It's a wonderful club - quite small and intimate - as well as having an excellent dinner and drink menu. We drove from the Boston area on our way to north Jersey, which made for a SERENDIPITOUS evening. We had wanted to hear the songs "Clarity" and "The Speed of Trees". So in addition to requesting them on this board, we brought visual props to represent each of those song titles. For "Clarity", my friend created a smiley face mug that was wearing sunglasses with the word CLARITY written on the lenses. For the "Speed of Trees", we brought a portion of a pine tree, which was standing in a wooden base. It had a sign on it saying "The Speed of Trees'. Ellis said he would use it for his Charlie Brown Christmas tree, as that's sort of what it looked like.

Ellis graciously offered to play one of our two requests, especially because we had driven 3-1/2 hours from Boston, and because we brought the props which sat on the piano. He even commented on the tree, because it had real pine sap, and it reminded him of being from Maine. When he said he'd play "Clarity", and then asked if we knew the words, and we didn't, it was almost a dilemma. Then I asked if he still had the wonderful lyric book he used at Passim's 20th anniversary concerts, and he realized it was in his car. He was so gracious and took a 5 minute break to go to the car and retrieve the book. What a class act! He played it beautifully, and my friend managed to take photos and apparently his camera can record audio (who knew?). He also performed "The Speed of Trees", and knew all the words without using the book! The Larchmonth audience was totally enthralled. So, I'm not sure if these videos are the sort of thing that could be posted on this site, but both songs sound great, and I bet others would enjoy hearing them. And you have to see these props to grasp how creative my friend was at making them - pretty funny. Hopefully Ellis enjoyed them and the spirit they were brought in. Once my friend gets registered on this board, he can post photos as well as the videos if that's permitted. Again, it was a great evening thanks to a great troubadour. Carol

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:19 am

Carol - what a fabulous evening you had AND you got to hear both of your songs!!! Good on you!

Yes do get your friend to post the photos and video links on here, love to see them. Might be a little while before his registration is confirmed as Karen (Admin) is currently away and doesn't have Internet access, so he'll need to be patient.

Look forward to seeing them.

Jela

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:27 pm

What a wonderful night, not really surprised that Ellis would try to accomadate your request, but sounds like he really went the extra mile for you. Though he might want to leave that book at home or he will be getting requests like that all the time !! :P He actually has said he is going to do a "nostalgia" at the begining of the year so lots of oldies will be heard.

Can't wait to see your pictures, thanks for sharing your story.
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

sarshik

Postby sarshik » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:52 am

He joked about the new speed of trees being 65 mph for 3-1/2 hours, because that's how fast and how long our little tree traveled from Boston to Larchmont. He was exceptionally accommodating. I hope he takes the book everywhere because it's so much fun to hear some occasional older songs. As soon as my friend is registered, he's eager to upload the photos and videos. Carol

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:45 am

what a great story carol!

some people upload their videos to youtube and then post a link here. but that means the whole world can see them.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:24 pm

Carol,

Glad it all worked out. Been traveling today for nearly 12 hours and just got home. Please have your friend re-register for the board and I will activate his acount pronto. Sorry for the delay!

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

sarshik

Postby sarshik » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:26 am

Thanks Karen - 12 hours is a long ride! Bet you're glad to be out of the car. Hope you had a great vacation. I will tell my friend he can re-register. Thanks, Carol

Return to “3000 Miles”