The Flash - Kennett Square, PA - 05.09.10

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

The Flash - Kennett Square, PA - 05.09.10

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon May 10, 2010 9:27 am

Last night's show at The Flash in Kennett Square, Pa. was one that almost got away from us. I knew Ellis was due there in May. When in May exactly escaped me. On Friday, a facebook friend and fellow EP fan posted the obvious. Whew!!! Imagine waking up the morning after Ellis has played your town and ya missed it. I shudder to think....

It was an unusual night in the mushroom capital of the world. It's almost as if alternative mushrooms had seeped into the cosmic and karma mix and it would be a night like no other. First there was the matter of Where's Ellis? as the powers that be were nervously wondering as we entered the room around 545p for a 6p doors and 7p show. Phone calls were made and word came that he was, in fact, on his way.

He arrived with 2 guitars in hand right around suggested start time and made his way to the stage for a brief soundcheck. The electric piano sounded fine then. It was not to last the evening as gremlins invaded and provided attempts at comic relief as Ellis had Biff, the sound guy, onstage trying to shoo them away with various button pressings. No luck.

At the top, Ellis announced that he had played a big rock show on Friday night in Charlottesville. A benefit show for a local shelter. Full band. Seems he might have laid it all out there. His singing voice was gone. He said there would be alot of talking going on. He invited the audience to ask questions, and help him out on an array of singalongs.

Great stories abounded about singing with his dad for the first time recently down in Florida. Goodnight, Irene. About a high school friend that needed Ellis' help with a *cough* science project. He made up songs on the fly in tribute to moms in the audience. AND, A NEW SONG!!

Setlist

Love is a Curious Thing (new song, ROCKS!)
Rose Tattoo
Home
Rollaway Bed
Hurricane Angel
Jukebox on my Grave
The Lights of Vegas
Dragonfly
Alice's Champagne Palace
The Day After Everything Changed
Snow in Austin
Blacktop Train
The World Ain't Slowin Down
Angel in Manhatten
Once Upon a Summertime
Special Mother's Day song
Calendar Man
3000 Miles

Ellis thanked the crowd for making the night an enjoyable one. He said in over 20 years of performing it was the hardest it's ever been to sing. Lucky for us, his voice should be back after a little much deserved rest. Thanks Ellis, as always, for another one of a kind, most enjoyable show.

Puff, the magic inhaler, to find the key of C.... :P
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Tue May 11, 2010 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: The Flash in Kennett Square 05.09.10

Postby KarenZ » Mon May 10, 2010 9:57 am

Paddy,

Thanks for the report! EP was in my home state and I wasn't there. :oops: So glad we have reporters in the field! :)

YEE HAW! A new song! 8)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Re: The Flash - Kennett Square, PA - 05.09.10

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue May 11, 2010 10:55 pm

Just viewed a sad and depressing thread on Ellis' facebook page where he comments he blew his voice out Friday night and asks for advice or suggestions on how to treat it. There is currently over 30 comments on home remedies, elixirs, alchohol, teas, steam.

I have to say that it's just plain depressing to me. I can only imagine how Ellis is feeling tonight. Ellis said from the stage on Sunday night that he almost cancelled the show. Now, I wish he had.

I suppose there's a reason the show must go on, but I just feel selfish. The injury occured on Friday. Ellis' had a private event on Saturday, then the show at Flash on Sunday. I wish he had cancelled them both.

GET WELL SOON ELLIS PAUL

My favorite comment:

STFU!!! :P
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: The Flash - Kennett Square, PA - 05.09.10

Postby KarenZ » Wed May 12, 2010 8:34 am

I sure hope one of those remedies work quickly! :shock:
KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Return to “3000 Miles”