20th Anniversary Shows! - Passim - July 9-10, 2010!

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

20th Anniversary Shows! - Passim - July 9-10, 2010!

Postby KarenZ » Mon May 03, 2010 11:21 am

Folks and EP Devotees,

Exciting news from the Ellis Paul Newsletter below!

Ellis Paul will celebrate 20 YEARS of making music at his home club, Passim in Cambridge, Ma. on July 9th and 10th. Both evenings will host 7 & 10pm performances, at which time Ellis will work through his catalog of songs from the past 20 years by playing two albums a show, four albums a night, eight albums total – all in chronological order. Songs that haven't been performed in over a decade will once again fill the room, with the album list as follows:

Fri, July 9th 7pm: "Say Something"/ "Stories"
Fri, July 9th 10pm: "Carnival of Voices"/ "Translucent Soul"

Sat, July 10th 7pm: "Sweet Mistakes"/ "The Speed of Trees"
Sat, July 10th 10pm: "American Jukebox Fables"/ "The Day After Everything Changed"

(Also, PARENTS - Sat July 10th – Special Family Show! 3:30pm, Songs from "The Dragonfly Races")

In addition, as a small thank you to all EP fans for 20 years of support, if you purchase a ticket to three of the four evening shows you will receive a ticket to the fourth show, free. (While tickets last.) Tickets go on sale on May 5th for Club Passim members, May 12th for non-members. You'll want to get your tickets early.. come celebrate with Ellis.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

PotatoPicker

Re: 20th Anniversary Shows! - Passim - July 9-10, 2010!

Postby PotatoPicker » Mon May 03, 2010 4:37 pm

Oh boy... now I know what I want for my birthday......
Jeff

monicar

Postby monicar » Tue May 04, 2010 9:18 am

Mother's Day gift for me!

My family doesn't need to put any thought into gifts for me at all! :lol:

Monica R.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed May 05, 2010 11:39 am

Just an FYI if you're plan is to get in on Ellis Paul package of Buy 3 shows, Get one show Free that it's best to do it by phone. I was just on the phone with Jim (Club Passim's director) and he told me he doesn't believe that the Ellis Paul Package offer is set up for online tix.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

jeannebruno

Postby jeannebruno » Wed May 12, 2010 1:29 pm

Hey Paddie in the Pub (my facebook friend). I am thinking of going to the 10 p.m. show on Saturday. Are you guys going?

Jeanne

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed May 12, 2010 3:29 pm

Jeanne, We're there both nights, all shows! Hope to see all the good folks from here at the shows they attend. We're stoked!
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Wed May 12, 2010 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed May 12, 2010 3:35 pm

Me too! Hope to see many of you then! :-)

Karenz

paddyinthepub wrote:Jeanne, We're there both nights, all shows! Hope to see all the good folks from here at the shows they attend. We're stoked!
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Wed May 12, 2010 11:15 pm

Hoping to go to shows both nights - but unfortunately my daughter's softball team is playing in a tournament that weekend so I have no idea of the schedule yet.
Jeff

john1977

Postby john1977 » Wed May 12, 2010 11:37 pm

Hey all,

So this is going to be amazing!

Unfortunately, I could only afford to attend one show so I picked the first night to see "Say Something" and "Stories" performed live. I have been going to EP shows since 1995 and gave up a long time ago on hoping to see some of my favorites from these albums performed live...but, now, WOW. I can't believe I'm going to finally hear him sing Don't Breathe! And it'll be great to hear songs that I haven't heard performed live in years...

Those two records are incredibly special to me...and I'll be armed with a box of Kleenex...and I'm more than willing to share! It's going to be an emotional night...and I can't wait. I just have to try and prepare my girlfriend for the mess that I'm sure to become! :)

And special swag?! Possibly VINYL versions of all the albums? That would be super cool!

Thank you Ellis for giving us an opportunity to revisit some old friends with you one more time...it's going to be a special night.

Hope to see some of you there!

John

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu May 13, 2010 8:17 am

John,

I know anniversary t-shirts are in the works and possibly another item or two. Vinyl?! That would be way cool! 8)

KarenZ

john1977 wrote:
And special swag?! Possibly VINYL versions of all the albums? That would be super cool!
John

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu May 13, 2010 8:34 pm

what would we do with vinyl?? I think I have a turntable in the basement but probably no needle to go with it. :cry:

couzies, you can't go wrong with couzies ( is that how you spell that ??) !!

I am very excited about hearing these oldies again too !! :P
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

john1977

Postby john1977 » Thu May 13, 2010 10:15 pm

Hey all,

I would love to have vinyl copies of Ellis's albums...anyone else? Does anyone know if any vinyl versions of his albums exist? I recently stumbled across a used vinyl copy of David Wilcox's "How Did You Find Me Here?" in a record store that sounds amazing.

While I primarily listen to music on CD and on my IPOD because it's more convenient, I personally prefer the sound of Vinyl over CD or MP3.

It's great that vinyl has been making a comeback! Many albums these days have a vinyl pressing that also includes a free MP3 download of the album or a CD tucked inside the sleeve. Many may consider it a novelty now, but I have bought many current albums on vinyl and love the sound and textures that the vinyl medium adds to a recording.

Here's an interesting article about the comeback of vinyl:

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/03/vinyl-r ... ck-big-way

Anyway, back to the topic...these shows are going to be incredible!

jeannebruno

Postby jeannebruno » Mon May 17, 2010 9:59 am

So, I bought my tickets for Sat. night 10 p.m show.. I would have bought tickets for both shows that night, but thought my husband would have thought that was too much... Cannot wait.. My birthday is July 4th so, this is my birthday present to myself!
Jeannie

care

Postby care » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:43 am

Hi Everyone,

Long time no chat, I"m so excited for these shows, the boyfriend and I will be going to the late night show on Friday, I would've liked to have gone to both shows, but like others have said $$ is tight.

hope to see you all there.

care

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:25 pm

Care,

Glad you can make it! I'm pretty darn excited about it too! Not far off now! :)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:52 am

Anyone going to the special VIP show the night before? July 8? WUMB was giving away tickets yesterday, I think. Sadly, I'm not arriving until July 9. :(

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:54 am

I just heard about this a few minutes ago on UMB! I'll be at Patti's Place listenin' to Don Con, as most of the VIP people will be! :lol:

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:56 am

monicar wrote:I just heard about this a few minutes ago on UMB! I'll be at Patti's Place listenin' to Don Con, as most of the VIP people will be! :lol:

yup. patti's place for me too!!
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

monicar

Postby monicar » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:19 am

And I'll be seeing you Monday night too! What a week it's going to be!!!!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:08 pm

Sounds like the VIP show isn't REALLY a VIP show. ;-)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:03 am

Folks,

The early show on July 9 is SOLD OUT. 8) Only TWO tickets left for the early show on July 10, so if you've been hesitating, hesitate no longer!

The majority of dinner seats for the other two shows are also gone, so don't wait much longer if you are planning on a dinner seat. General Admission seats are still available for the two late shows.

Get 'em while you can! :-)

KarenZ

SusanH

Postby SusanH » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:41 pm

I have extra tickets..

I have one ticket each for the Friday 10pm and the two Saturday shows.
Table seating, front row of tables. $31 each. Let me know if you are interested!
Susan

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:40 pm

Mags and I are going Saturday night at 10. Trying to figure out if my daughter's softball tournament finishes early enough Friday to catch one of those shows.... still hopeful. Would love to hear some of those old songs again.
Jeff

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:44 am

Ill shed some light on the mystery
Of why I kicked her out on Independence Day
With the fireworks burning I found myself learning
Couldnt lay in my bed the same way
Stand by me thats what she said if the shit hit the fan
Would you stand by me,
Stand by me
Well, here I am
Here I am...........

I'm guessing this song will get sung at about 7:42 Saturday night...

but that's just a guess :wink:

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:05 am

Patti,

I think you're probably right! :)

See you all in 3 days! Woo hoo! 8)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:25 pm

Ticket update!

7pm - July 9 - SOLD OUT!
10pm - July 9 - 3 dinner seats; 19 GA seats

7pm - July 10 - SOLD OUT!
10pm - July 10 - 8 dinner seats; 18 GA seats

Karen

pbears

Postby pbears » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:00 pm

LOOKING FOR A TICKET TO THE FRIDAY SHOWS?

I have one ticket to each show (7pm & 10pm) at Passim on Friday, 7/9. Dinner seating. You will be sitting with two longtime fans who are thrilled to be attending all four shows!

7pm show: "Say Something" & "Stories"
10pm show: "Carnival of Voices" & Translucent Soul"

SusanH

Postby SusanH » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:03 am

Ticket update!

7pm - July 9 - SOLD OUT!
10pm - July 9 - 3 dinner seats; 19 GA seats

10pm - July 10 - 8 dinner seats; 18 GA seats

I still have tickets to the 7/9 10pm and both 7/10 shows.
all front row of table seats.

$31 each or all three for $62!
Susan

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:25 am

Ticket update - 10am - July 8!

7pm - July 9 - SOLD OUT!
10pm - July 9 - 1 dinner seat; 14 GA seats

10pm - July 10 - 3 dinner seats; 16 GA seats

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:54 pm

Got onboard a west bound 747...then quickly realized my mistake.

Please come to Boston in the summer, Ellis is playing old albums and they've got lots of room. Well, they did. Can't wait! :D
paddy

sarshik

Postby sarshik » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:59 pm

Susan, If you still have an extra ticket for Saturday night at 7pm, I might be interested in buying it if I haven't had enough music after tonight, and last night, and Live at Noon today. I will be at both Friday shows at Table 10. I believe you're the person I exchanged tickets with last year when we swapped a Saturday for a Friday ticket. I'm not sure which table you're at, but if you can let me know tonight if you're still trying to sell your extra Saturday ticket, I'd appreciate it. I'm more interested in the 7pm show, but let me know what you have left. Thanks, Carol

SusanH

Postby SusanH » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:40 pm

sarshik wrote:Susan, If you still have an extra ticket for Saturday night at 7pm, I might be interested in buying it if I haven't had enough music after tonight, and last night, and Live at Noon today. I will be at both Friday shows at Table 10. I believe you're the person I exchanged tickets with last year when we swapped a Saturday for a Friday ticket. I'm not sure which table you're at, but if you can let me know tonight if you're still trying to sell your extra Saturday ticket, I'd appreciate it. I'm more interested in the 7pm show, but let me know what you have left. Thanks, Carol

Carol- the ticket is still available. tonight I will be at table 15 for the 7pm show and table 5 for the 10pm show. Yep, I think we exchanged tickets before...will be glad to do business with you again! See you later!
Susan

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:28 am

They did it, they really did it. Every song, hidden tracks included, to 4 CDS..

Pretty Amazing Incredible shows last night...really lived up to the hype.

So great to hear some of these gems of songs. Some arranged a little differently and just a few missed lyrics, but the crowd was right there in the moment helping when needed. The first show started just about 7:10 and ended 4 CDs later well after 1:00 am .

Ellis has lots to be proud of from what he was writing 20 years ago to where he is today. It was an honor to be sitting in the audience.

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:59 am

PS.. the THEY above is DON CON...

Sorry Don didn't mean to leave you out but your flowery riffages on so many of Ellis's songs left me speachless :wink:

Also a nice guest appearance by Jon Svetkey

sarshik

Postby sarshik » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:37 pm

Both Friday night shows, all four CD's worth of Ellis Paul gems, were absolutely spectacular. What an amazing combination of talent, heart, and grace to perform and write such wonderful songs. I still remember seeing you at the Colonial Inn in Concord, MA, years back when you enthusiastically told the audience you were excited because you were leaving for Paris the next day. The next time I saw you in concert, you were performing "Paris in a Day". It's truly incredible how you capture life's experiences and observations and create the most amazing music out of them for the rest of us to enjoy. Thank you Ellis for 20 years worth of terrific music.

mm

Postby mm » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:36 pm

How incredible the entire night was. I was immersed and amazed. It is hard for any of us to otherwise understand what effort must have gone into pulling out all these masterpieces. It shows too how timeless a well written song is. Excellent, excellent. That it was Ellis Paul Day in Boston was wicked cool too!
Don was amazing on lead guitar and harmonies, and he and Ellis and the audience quips kept us laughing a lot.
Lots of great spirits and company....the regular devotees (Patti, Pat and Pam, Karen, Sue Ellen, Susan, Monica R, Rachel, Hillary, Dave, and Ralph all there). I had lovely table mates who were tried and true fans, two of whom I had remembered I sat with at a past Passim show a few years ago.
Look forward to hearing the Sat night report! (Couldn't make it to those shows.)

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:59 pm

When these shows were announced getting tickets was a no brainer for us as we have long missed many of the songs that were resurrected for these special full length album shows. As the shows drew ever closer I began to doubt that Ellis could pull this off in a way that would leave fans believing they had just experienced something special. To be honest, I was thinking it would be near impossible to pull off. I was aware Ellis seemed to have a two week break from performing, all the better to prepare for the marathon. With a bit of a scare recently with his voice strain I was afraid he might have trouble there, too. Then we learned he stayed out in the sun a bit too long with his daughters. My first thought was that he would sacrifice a few layers to the sun gods to put off practicing what was monumental by any measure.

We landed at Logan Intl and heAded straight for Patti's Dalton's in Seekonk, Mass. where she and her husband Tim were hosting Don Conoscenti in a warm and intimate Patti's Place house concert setting. It was my first DonCon solo show and as expected beyond amazing. The only thing that scared me was hearing that Don also seemed to be *cough* putting off practicing for the marathon that awaited him, too.

There's a good reason we're all fans of Ellis Paul.

He was as singularly focused and intense as the first time we ever saw him play out in Kerrville the year after he won new folk. Don Con was onstage with him that night, too. I can recall the hair on the back of my neck standing up moments before Ellis took the stage. Rod Kennedy was going on about him and it was about to happen. Mind you, we travelled to Kerrville specifically to see Ellis Paul. The song Oh My God comes to mind.

That was 1995.

Stories had just been reissued. We got it the day it dropped. We had mail ordered Say Something about a week earlier. We were in musical heaven. And then we were road tripping to see him play. Who knew the years would roll by as fast as they have. Listening to Ellis play these songs in album order over 4 shows was like a trip in a time machine. A few sweet mistakes, sure, but overall, Ellis delived me, and Pam, and the rest of the Passim crowd to a musical place you hope still exists. It does.....

Thanks to Ellis and Don and all the players that helped make this happen. Special thanks to all the friends we've made here for warm welcomes. It was great to see you all.....leavin on a jet plane.

Seeya on down the road, thanks again!

On The Late Show with David Letterman Dave does a segment with Paul Schaefer called "Is That Something?" The curtain opens to reveal some form of activity leading Dave to ask Paul the obvious question.

In closing:

That was something!
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:40 pm

Yes these shows were all that and MORE....

impossible to pick a favorite moment or song...

Well maybe the Proclamatioin of Don Con Day in Cambridge on July 10th, the day after Ellis Paul Day. l

I did happen to notice that I was right on the money for my guess of when Independence Day would get played !!

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:14 am

Thanks for the reports - have so enjoyed reading them. Wonder if anyone did any recordings????

Jela

monicar

Postby monicar » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:32 am

My cult membership probably dropped a notch by only going to Friday's shows (HA)!

A wonderfully amazing night of music!

So nice to see everyone and get to share the EP experience!

Jela, I thought of you when I heard Angel in Manhattan. Mentioned that to Karen on the ride home and found out I have been mispronouncing your name for the last x-amount of years!

Learn something new every day!

Until the next time .....

Monica R.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:56 am

Monica - don't worry the name pronunciation police won't arrest you! As a child I HATED my name because no one ever pronounced it correctly when they first came across it - Jela with a J that's pronounced as a Y and a long 'e' ......Yeela - became my common response.

As I got older I loved the fact that it was different and after all it was my maternal grandmother's name so I'm very proud to have been named after her. Only met her once in 1975 as she lived in Yugoslavia and she's long passed.

Love, love Angel in Manhattan.......happy memories of Vermont 2008.

Jela

monicar

Postby monicar » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:02 am

It's a beautiful name and all the more so since it was your grandmother's.

For some reason, I was pronouncing it with a U instead of the long E!

I think I heard someone say it that way and just followed suit!

Glad to finally be on the right page! :D

Return to “3000 Miles”