Sirius/XM Studio Taping: Washington,DC 5th April 2010

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

Sue Ellen

Sirius/XM Studio Taping: Washington,DC 5th April 2010

Postby Sue Ellen » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:35 am

We have had a lovely stretch of weather here in the mid-Atlantic that has painted the landscape with a magnificent pallette of yellows, pinks, whites, and greens. Our capitol is abloom with cherry blossoms and yesterday would have been the perfect day to stroll along the basin to drink in the most prefered snow covering of blossoms, a sunny day with temperatures stretching in to the mid eighties. However, nearly 50 Ellis Paul fans eschewed this perfect opportunity to gather at the Sirius/XM studios on Eckington Pl in North East, DC to attend the special studio taping that featured many of the songs from Ellis's newest CD.

Many of you had the opportunity to attend a similar show almost three years ago and will recall the studio as warm, intimate, and full of most fantastic sound. For this show, Ellis was joined by Michael Clem (from Eddie from Ohio) on bass, and Rusty Speidel on guitar. Ellis apologized up front, saying that this taping was only the second public performance of the trio, following its debut at a Bar Mitvah. Ellis also mentioned his awe a small degree of discomfort with the fact that Paul McCartney had performed in that very studio and may have played that very piano.

Ellis, as always, was the consummate performer, with voice, guitar, and piano as spell binding as ever. The accompanying guitar and bass, as well as the vocal harmonies, added to the soundscape, with some variations in timing and arrangements, most notably to me on River Road.

The set list consisted of thirteen and a three/quarters songs. I think Ellis is besought with the way the Buddha with a bottle whispers his name and totally forgot that he'd never find a kinder face than Alice's behind the bar, necessitating beginning Alice's Champagne Palace over when he missed those lyrics 3/4's of the way through the song.

As always, the set was seasoned with clever banter among the performers, someone clearly having thrown Michael Clem's switch into the "on" position. As Ellis tuned for "River Road" saying he'd tell the story "in a minute", Rusty's face revealed that his ear told him the tuning wasn't quite right and encouraged Ellis to keep at it. This prompted Ellis to dub Rusty as the "tuning police", which Ellis then stated might be a good name for the trio. I figured after playing with Don so many years, Ellis would be quite familiar with that kind of thing. In the meantime, Michael launched into a story about his childhood, saying he'd grown up in a the small town of Presque Isle, ME, the son of a potato farmer. His story was a pretty good imitation, but he revealed himself as from away when he made a reference to a "lack of creativity but a damn good potato and oyster stew." If he'd just said "clam chowder" it would have been a great story.

Here's the set list:

1. Anna Lee
2. Dragon Fly (audience sing along)
3. Maria's Beautiful Mess
4. Walking After Midnight/Things Change (Patsy Klein/Sam Baker cover)
5. Rose Tatoo
6. Lights of Las Vegas (audience sing-along)
7. Hurrican Angel (Ellis on piano)
8. Take All the Sky You Need
9. River Road
10. Once Upon a Summertime (Ellis on piano, solo)
11. She Was (solo, staff request, not rehearsed by Michael and Rusty)
11 and 3/4's. 3/4's of Alice's Champagne Palace
12. Alice's Champagne Palace
13. The Day After Everything Changed.

After this set, Ellis wanted to reprise Anna Lee because he felt the first performance was not up to task. Rusty then suggested they should redo "that song, the beautiful noise song." When met with query, Rusty said, "You know, Maria's Beautiful Noise," ...yeah, right...I'm sure someone will get him up to speed.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

Patti

Re: Sirius/XM Studio Taping: Washington,DC 5th April 2010

Postby Patti » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:39 am

Nice Review Sue Ellen, glad you got in the studio !!
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:20 am

Sue Ellen,

Thanks for the report! I couldn't help smiling at the stories about the "tuning police" and Mike Clem's oyster stew. :-) And it's good to know that "she Was" isn't totally forgotten! 8)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:15 pm

Thanks for reporting Sue Ellen. So pleased that you got to go and I'm sure that it was a lot of fun.

Washington, in cherry blossom season, sounds like a place to put on my 'bucket list'

Jela

Return to “3000 Miles”