Seattle 03-27-2010 @ Phinney Neighborhood Center

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

GlennCase

Seattle 03-27-2010 @ Phinney Neighborhood Center

Postby GlennCase » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:08 am

It would seem that it's time for my annual west coast check-in. Hello again!

This is the 5th year in a row for Rachael and I to make the trip from Spokane to see Ellis! Typing this out from our hotel room, and I'm ready to sleep now, but I wanted to share this first.

First setlist:
1. Rose Tattoo
2. The Lights of Vegas
3. Hurricane Angel
4. Dragonfly
5. Annalee
6. The Day After Everything Changed
7. Maria's Beautiful Mess
8. Home
9. Alice's Champagne Palace
10. Take All the Sky You Need

Second setlist:
11. Jukebox On My Grave
12. Nothing Left to Lose
13. Let it Be (Beatles cover)
14. The World Ain't Slowin' Down
15. Once Upon a Summertime
16. Calendar Man
17. Abiola
18. Walking After Midnight/Change

ENCORE

19. The Night Hank Williams Came to Town (Johnny Cash cover)

One particularly funny moment took place during the cover of "Let it Be". Someone from the audience had talked to Ellis between the first and second sets, informing him about a thing called "Earth Hour" where people were encouraged to turn off their lights for one hour. So, Ellis came up with the idea of performing "Let it Be" in the audience with all of the lights off in the room.

So, he starts singing the song once the lights were off, and he starts cracking up laughing when he gets to the lyric: "And in my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me." It was unintentional, but he had picked the absolute perfect song for the occasion!

Ellis was incredible, of course. He always is, and it's always worth the 500 mile drive to see him play.

Would have liked to have heard "Heaven's Wherever You Are" and "Waking Up to Me", but we're quite satisfied with the show we saw. Choosing which songs to play was probably already tough enough even BEFORE the new album, and now he has a bunch of new great ones to add to the pile! It would be nearly impossible for him to play every song that everyone would like to hear without playing for many more hours. As it is, we got 19 songs between two sets and an encore, and it was magnificent!

ROCK!

Glenn Case

Patti

Re: Seattle 03-27-2010 @ Phinney Neighborhood Center

Postby Patti » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:07 pm

Thanks Glenn.. Love the Let It Be story... added a much needed smile to my day !!
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

john

Postby john » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:33 pm

It was a great show. I thoroughly enjoyed it and Ellis was smiling a lot. The lights out episode had us all laughing and Ellis having to stop because he was laughing so hard.

I got some good shots. I got there late but managed to find a aisle seat that was stuck out into the aisle a bit so I had a good view.

I'll link them when I get them posted.

Only wish he could come around more often. It's always a blast seeing him.

I was slow to react to the house concert tonight and missed out.

john

Kerry

Postby Kerry » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:11 pm

I was fortunate enough to see both shows this weekend. I took my 7 year old to the Phinney Center on Saturday, then went to the house concert with my husband Sunday.

This was my daughter's first "grown up music" show. She'd seen one of Ellis' children's shows a couple years back. She had a fantastic time and recognized almost everything he played - and especially loved hearing Let It Be in the dark! I'll take her response as a positive vaccination against all the Hannah Montana music out there.

Then there was the house concert. Ahh, bliss! As usual, Bill was a lovely host, and he always seems to attract a fun audience for the performers. Ellis figured out that a couple of us had seen him the night before, so he really went out of his way to mix things up a bit. So, we got All Things Being the Same, Eighteen, Angel in Manhattan, Nothing Left to Take, and Way Over Yonder in the Minor Key thrown in. Lots of fun interaction with the crowd, and a perfect Sunday night!

Now if we could only get him out to this part of the country more often!

Kerry

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:29 am

Thanks all for the reports from the west coast! I also stumbled across this blog review of the show:

Everything is uphill in Seattle

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Return to “3000 Miles”