Tin Angel - Philly - Jan. 8, 2010

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Tin Angel - Philly - Jan. 8, 2010

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:39 am

Guy walks in a bar with 2 words: Ellis Paul. Next 3: Where's Ellis Paul? I'm standing right there talking to Don Conoscenti. Next 4 floor me: Are you Ellis Paul? Well, I think, depends on who's asking.....

In the past, Ellis has spoke of taking the stage with a case of butterflies. Not cold feet, exactly, just nervous energy. I think that's all behind him. He took the stage tonight, asking if anyone else was as cold as he was as he rubbed his hands together in a "man, it's cold up in here" kind of way. Don Conoscenti had hinted at the very same thing 20 minutes earlier at the back bar. How cold it was during sound check. Ellis said he was going to try and get through this for us. He began alone onstage on a piano in a corner of the too small Tin Angel stage. Guitars are hung on walls floor space is so limited. Ellis begins Once Upon A Summertime.

By the time he's nailed that one, then brought the guys, Don Conoscenti and Mike Clem, up onstage to help nail Maria's Beautiful Mess, I almost shouted from our stage side barstools: Warm now, aren't you?!?!

Ellis and the guys spent the next 90 minutes giving the sold-out and sro crowd at Tin Angel what it had come for. Well, almost everything. I'm not sure we were expecting Sweet Home Alabama. Fitting since "Bama" just won the BCS......and an abrreviated hoot!

Great singalongs, we had the guy's backs with the na na na na na's for Lights of Vegas and the do doo do do doo do doo do do do doo's for The Day After Everything Changed. The crowd's 3000 miles echoed thru the room as Ellis once again took that bus trip across the country. I was standing at the back bar, a long long way from the stage, Amos Lee is in the audience with friends, when the guys, joined by opener Chris O'Brien, nailed Dragonfly. A woman sitting on a stool next to me said that's new, isn't it? I don't have that one! We all nodded yes, it's new. Moments later Ellis and Don and Mike and Chris had the crowd singing with them. What most in the house wouldn't know, is that the woman who barely knew the song, sang out from her spot in the far reaches of Tin Angel, a vocal performance worthy of being onstage with the Ellis Paul Band. I guess, in a way, she was. Not lost on me was the incredible smile on Ellis' face every time the audience sang his music, or the word "beautiful" he uttered each time.

I don't know why you
I don't know why you
I don't know why you
Came to me

"Are you Ellis Paul?"

Nah, that's him over there.

8)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

shari

Re: Tin Angel Jan 08 2010

Postby shari » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:30 pm

Hi Everyone,

It's been over a year since I'd gone to a show. The longest dry spell in about 10 years. What a great show to start back with and seeing Don there was a wonderful surprise! It made sense coming off New Year's Eve, but I wasn't expecting it.

Paddy has already given a great review of the show (great seeing you!), but here is the setlist in list form:

- Summertime
- Maria's Beautiful Mess
- Lights of Vegas
- Alice's Champagne Palace
- Take All the Sky You Need
- Rose Tattoo
- Hurricane Angel
- The World Ain't Slowing Down
- Dragonfly
- Walking After Midnight
- The Day After Everything Changed
- 3000 Miles
- AnnaLee
- Sweet Home Alabama snippet (?!?)
- Encore: Snow in Austin

:-)
Last edited by shari on Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:23 pm

Thanks Paddy and Shari for posting reviews of last night's concert.

Sounds like you both had a fab evening - but then who wouldn't at an Ellis Paul show?

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:50 am

Paddy, thanks for the great show report! Glad you made it! :)

Shari, thanks for the setlist! Nice to see you back and I hope the dry spell is over!:)

-3 degrees here this morning! Yowza!

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Return to “3000 Miles”