Jammin' Java, Vienna, VA: 6th November 2009

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

Sue Ellen

Jammin' Java, Vienna, VA: 6th November 2009

Postby Sue Ellen » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:00 am

What can I say that has not already been said? My bank of superlatives is not robust enough to adequately pay the dividend demand of another fine Ellis Paul performance. The show was worth every second of the two hour drive, or rather crawl, from Columbia to Vienna, a trip that typically takes a scant forty-five minutes. As the traffic flow came to a halt where 95 splits at the capitol beltway I wondered if the Terps were playing at home. As the traffic continued around the beltway, I wondered if the traffic lights in Montgomery County could be to blame. But no, the culprit was an accident just before the bridge over the Potomac that had closed two right lanes.

Jammin' Java is such a great venue, in spite of a pretty slim beer selection. Last night's show was an especial treat because there was not a later show booked after Ellis. Mary Hutchinson opened, but we had arrived so late that we were pretty focused on our dinner while she sang. The most I can say is that she has a beautiful voice.

Ellis opened on the piano for two songs, then moved to guitar and was joined on stage by Mike Clem for the rest of the 11 song first set. Robbie Schaefer (omg, is that spelled right? :lol: ) joined these two for the last five songs. After an intermission, Ellis began the second set on piano, and played another ten songs, older mostly, with Mike Clem on bass:

Set One:

1. Hurricane Angel (with lit one last smoke rather than took one last toke, about which I have some strong politically incorrect opinions)
2. Summertime
3. Rose Tattoo (Mike Clem joins Ellis on stage)
4. Maria's Beautiful Mess
5. Alice's Champaigne Palace
6. Take All the Sky You Need
7. Lights of Vegas (Robbie Schaefer joins the stage)
8. 3000 miles
9. Dragonfly
10. World Ain't Slowin' Down
11. Anna Lee (unplugged, in audience, nice harmonies)

Intermission

Set Two:

12. Home
13. Roll Away Bed
14. Jukebox on My Grave with Johnny Cash singing Boy Named Sue
15. The Hurt (go ahead, sue me, I know it's really "like a song I'd like to crank you." )
16. Angel in Manhatten
17. Let It Be (Mike Clem joins Ellis)
18. Did Galileo Pray
19. Walking After Midnight/Things Change
20. Black Top Train (must admit, no one stamps like Flynn)
21. Encore: When Hank Williams Came to Town (joined by Rick Someone from Charlottesville)

Great, great show. Pleasure to see Yetta and Bob, miss the rest of you though. Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

Richard + Jela

Re: Jammin' Java, Vienna, VA: 6th November 2009

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:13 pm

...and we miss you too Sue Ellen. Thanks for the wonderful report, you sure had a fab evening despite the traffic problems getting to the venue. Hope the journey home was uneventful :)

Jela

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:05 pm

Oh man, I realized as I was cooking dinner tonight and listening to Dragon Fly Races that I should have requested "Little Red Rose." I might have missed a rare opportunity to hear that performed. Even though that was all Ellis, I bet it would have sounded pretty good with Mike Clem and Robbie Schaefer. Darn. Darn. Darn.
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:45 am

Sue Ellen,

Don't you mean that no one stamps like Bonnie? :D

20. Black Top Train (must admit, no one stamps like Flynn)

Thanks for the terrific report. Try to get to shows a little more often, okay? :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:43 am

Sounds like you had a great show Sue Ellen. I was trying to get some friends of mine from Chesapeake to drive up for the show, but I think they were worried about how long the drive might take !
Jeff

Return to “3000 Miles”