Club Passim New Years Shows 12/30/09 - 12/31/09

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

bonuela

Re: Club Passim New Years Shows 12/30/09 - 12/31/09

Postby bonuela » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:48 pm

AndaleOrbea wrote:
Flynn and Don playing together was a sight to behold and really a wonderful experience to witness. What a really fun couple of days.

this was a highlight for me. seeing them both so casually moving onstage was striking. i kept thinking that between don's recent leg injury and flynn's broken back years ago, it was a miracle to see.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:06 am

Bonnie that is SO true... what a nice thought ....

Did you happen to capture that on video... I know I can get an audio copy..but seeing is believing...
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:32 am

I tagged Ellis and Don in some videos on Facebook. I got short clips of Light of Vegas and the covers. I was right under the keyboard, so the view is terrible, but the sound isn't bad!
I was glad to hear so many new songs, since I've had the cd on constant repeat for weeks now.
Richard and Jela, it was nice to meet you! :)
-Katie

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:46 pm

Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't written before now. I had a late-afternoon flight home yesterday and by the time I got home-home, it was 8:30pm and after a quick bath, I went right to bed. :)

Catching up on stuff today and had my grandson here for a few hours. I've enjoyed reading the posts. Dean, thanks so much for your kind words. The friendships that have developed as a result of this board and EP's music is such a joy. It was so fun hanging out with you all. Let's do it again next year! :)

I took setlists but I know Dean did too.....so I hereby officially delegate him to the task of posting them. ;) (Or at least one, since the 4 shows did not vary much.)

I loved the banter between the guys....and Mike Clem just added fuel to the fire. :)

All three openers (Seth Glier, Mike Clem and Flynn) did an outstanding job. I must admit that the highlight for me was the Journey cover! I have adored Steve Perry for a long, long time and EP simply nailed the "Don't Stop Believin" vocals. And Don and Rad and Mike were incredible in support! It was impossible not to get charged up by all the energy in the room.

So.....how long do we have to wait for the YouTube videos? I've been continually checking today - waiting in anticipation! Pleeeze hurry! :D

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:03 am

Hey Karen:

Looks like we already have the 7 pm show for Ellis from 12/30 and the 10 pm show from 12/31, so I'll put the other two down:

from the 7 pm show on 12/30, this is what I have for Seth Glier, yet I don't think I have the titles correct:
1. Do the Next Right Thing
2. I've Got to Get Away from Here
3. Walk Katie Home
4. I Don't Need You
5. No Place to Land
6. Someone Else to Crown

from the 10 pm show on 12/30
Michael Clem (Eddie from Ohio) opens (again, I'm not sure of the song titles, but this is what I have down):
1. I Can't Have You
2. Sits to Pee (? I really have no idea)
3. Little Green Houses
4. I Pat Myself on the Back
5. Run to the Lord in Fear
6. Christmas Story (Poem)

Ellis' setlist:
1. Once Upon A Summertime (solo on keys)
2. Lights of Vegas
3. Maria’s Beautiful Mess
4. Walking After Midnight / Change
5. Rose Tattoo
6. Take All the Sky You Need
7. Alice’s Champagne Palace
8. Dragonfly
9. The Day After Everything Changed
10. Snow in Austin
11. I’ll Be There - Michael Jackson cover
12. She’s Gone - Hall and Oates cover
13. Hurricane Angel (Ellis on keys, Rad on accordian)
14. Annalee
15. World Ain’t Slowing Down
Encore: Don’t Stop Believing - Journey cover

From the 7 pm show on 12/31:

Flynn's setlist:
1. I Wouldn't Want It Any Other Way (?)
2. Emerald Dream
3. Desert Angel
4. The Answer's Not Enough/Strange medley
5. I'm Loving Angels Instead - Robbie Williams cover w/Rad on keys
6. White

Ellis' setlist:
1. Lights of Vegas
2. Maria’s Beautiful Mess
3. Take All the Sky You Need
4. Rose Tattoo
5. Walking After Midnight / Change
6. Alice’s Champagne Palace
7. Dragonfly
8. The Day After Everything Changed
9. Annalee
10. Snow in Austin
11. Blacktop Train
12. I’ll Be There - Michael Jackson cover
13. She’s Gone - Hall and Oates cover
14. Hurricane Angel (Ellis on keys, Rad on accordian)
15. World Ain’t Slowing Down
16. 3,000 Miles
Encore: Don’t Stop Believing - Journey cover

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:01 am

I'm sure I saw those earlier setlists but promptly forgot they were there! :oops: Thanks Dean and Jeff for posting them! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:42 am

Karen wrote:

I must admit that the highlight for me was the Journey cover! I have adored Steve Perry for a long, long time and EP simply nailed the "Don't Stop Believin" vocals. And Don and Rad and Mike were incredible in support! It was impossible not to get charged up by all the energy in the room.

Who knew they were Folkin' Gleeks?

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:16 pm

Sue Ellen wrote:Who knew they were Folkin' Gleeks?

Too funny Sue Ellen.

I would like to go on record as saying that as part of the "End of Year" shows, I like the covers. They are fun, and fit the spirit of those shows. Perhaps when I am going to an Ellis-only show at Iron Horse or Stone Soup or TCAN, I might want more Ellis songs - or at covers that fit that sort of a show better - but I think this year's covers were a lot of fun.
Jeff

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:44 am

Jeff, I think you hit the nail on the head and agree with you 100% about the NYE shows.

It's party time and they reflect this - I went to all four shows and thought that the energy built up with each show, culminating in the late NYE show, was just great - so lively and full of fun which just what NYE should be!

I like the anticipation of the covers - each year we think 'what will they do this year' they keep it a closely guarded secret until they actually start playing them on stage. It takes a lot of work arranging the covers and rehearsing them - I say 'keep them in' for these shows.

I had no idea what the 'Don't Stop Believin' song was but from the first note the audience went wild for it - Richard turned to me and said 'what is it?' I said 'I have no idea' but could see that we were the only ones who didn't recognise it (I know, I know that it's the most downloaded song ever) - we're obviously deprived in our listening habits :lol:

We have had a great time and it was lovely to see so many from the board over the past week - thank you all for making us so welcome.

Jela

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:30 am

The covers have to stay...I think they are perfect for New Years..
Jela I think the cheering might have been due to the Rock Star pose Ellis was striking right at the begining of the song.... :D

any youtube versions yet... :?:
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:30 am

club passim posted a few videos on facebook. since ellis is tagged in them anyone who is ellis' "friend" can see them. i know they have the midnight countdown/silly string fight, and at least one of the covers. not sure which one.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:25 pm

Too funny! :D According to the Journey discography article on Wikipedia, in 1981 "Don't Stop Believin'" peaked in the US at #9.....but the song peaked in the UK at #7....in 2009! :) I guess the Brits are no longer deprived! :)

Wikipedia: Journey discography
Wikipedia: Don't Stop Believin' (song)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela wrote:I had no idea what the 'Don't Stop Believin' song was but from the first note the audience went wild for it - Richard turned to me and said 'what is it?' I said 'I have no idea' but could see that we were the only ones who didn't recognise it (I know, I know that it's the most downloaded song ever) - we're obviously deprived in our listening habits :lol:
Jela

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:38 pm

My videos from 12/30 are on FB, too. They should show up on Ellis' or Don's walls.
-Katie

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:18 pm

...and today I read that 'Glee' is going to be shown on TV over here starting this month! Perhaps 'Don't Stop Believin ' will enter the UK charts again???

Katie - it was nice to meet you too at Passim.

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:40 pm

Just found this on YouTube Midnight @ Club Passim Dec 31st and it made me recall what a great time I had.

Been back in the real world now but what great memories - thank you all for making our trip such fun!

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:19 pm

I wrote a review of the late show on 31st December for Maverick and it will be in the issue which goes on sale later this month.

Here's an advance copy. As usual, photo by Richard.

You might also notice that the following review of Sarah Borges is mine too - two great shows on consecutive nights in Cambridge.

Jela
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “3000 Miles”