SPACE - Evanston, IL. September 19, 2009

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

AndaleOrbea

SPACE - Evanston, IL. September 19, 2009

Postby AndaleOrbea » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:50 pm

Got home and getting ready to leave for tonight's show. We last saw Ellis there this Spring with KarenZ, BeckyG, Jester Fool and hub, and the ever popular IllinoisBill. Wish y'all (and more) were coming tonight. More later.

Love youz guyz
db

AndaleOrbea

Re: SPACE - Evanston, IL. September 19, 2009

Postby AndaleOrbea » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:57 pm

Ellis OPENS!!!!
:shock: :shock: :shock:
:(

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:46 pm

Well now that is news! Headstart program perhaps. Sounds like Ellis might have needed to rest up for the drive all night, half across the country, roadtrip, home.

Safe travels, and best of everything with everything.

Thanks again Dean, for showing us all the love, this weekend.

Right back atcha......You da man! 8)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:59 am

Dean, I'm getting spoiled obviously.....where's the love? :P

You go a through carpal tunnel on the way home tonight?

Hope the shock of Ellis opening tonight wore off and that you and Elaine had a great time as you wrapped a trifecta of shows seeing Ellis and Ari in 3 states.

rockstar
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:37 am

Dean,

I've gone to shows that were a string of co-bills....and the two performers usually alternate who goes first from night to night. Although it goes without saying that I'd go to Ellis Paul shows every night of the week if I could, I wouldn't necessarily want to listen to five straight nights of [insert name here].....so when I went to a string of co-bills, I was actually glad when Ellis went first....that way when he finished I could exit and go hang out in the lobby, at the merch table, or whatever. :-) So, Ellis as an opener has its benefits. ;)

KarenZ
AndaleOrbea wrote:Ellis OPENS!!!!
:shock: :shock: :shock:
:(
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:35 pm

Hey Guys and Gals:

So sorry for not getting the post up sooner. Had a bit of decompression and a day with Elaine's family, so we just got home from the Road Trip. I sure hope Ellis is finding his way home safely!!!

No carpel tunnel rockstar! Just a good ol' fashion case of lazy, and easier to type on the keyboard than the phone, but I do like that I can post quickly with the phone...

KarenZ, you are so right about listening to artists repetitively (except for the one we were there to see) While it was nice to get to hear Ellis first, we really couldn't leave because we wanted to hear Ellis for the encore, and other obligations. And really it was fun to stand in the crowd with Ellis (at least for a short while) while Ari's set was going.

I'll apologize now for not keeping better notes on Ari's set list. And to be honest, Ari's really not my style. He was okay for the first two listens, but last night was probably the wrong combination. Ellis totally had the crowd wound up. Tons of energy, good vibe, then Ari comes on and his style is really subdude. Nice guy, but really relaxed and it just seem that the crowd got somewhat bored. In fact there was quite a few folks that left over the course of Ari's set - perhaps Ellis fans who got what they were there for. I think it would have been better for Ellis to go last, and I wonder if the club was left with the same opinion. In review, it would have been better if this tour would have been one of those 'CD Release' tours, that featured Ellis rather than a co-bill. I guess I know what to expect next time and will plan accordingly.

I will say that many there laughed at Ari's song "I'll be there to make you miserable" and after a few listens, it is pretty funny, in a twisted sort of way. Let's just say the crowd in Evanston got it, where Ann Arbor and Cleveland were a bit more reserved.

Anyway, here's Ellis' set:

1. Hurricane Angel
2. Rose Tattoo
3. Lights of Vegas
4. Maria's Beautiful Mess
5. The World Ain't Slowin Down (now on hold with Tim McGraw!)
6. Jukebox On My Grave
7. Take All the Sky You Need
8. Alice's Champagne Palace
9. Home
10. Once Upon A Summertime
11. Annalee
12. The Day After Everything Changed

Encore: (after what seemed like an endless applause to try to get Ellis to return and the sound guy finally went to the green room to get him)
Nothing Left to Take (probably a good song to end on in retrospect)

Ellis made fun of a guy how kept hooting out during the show. He said "Thank You, and I mean you! And you know who you are and I know who you are" Then he introduced the song about Vegas and wondered why the guy who hooted didn't speak up quickly. Hummmmmmm... wonder who could that have been and perhaps he was a bit embarrased about the earlier outburst ;-) The hooter-guy is grateful that he played 'The Day After Everything Changed'

Anyway - here are the first of Ari's set:
My Philosophy (?)
The Wait
June
I'll be there to make you miserable
Ann Marie
Bird never flys
some song about a phone call
Cranberry Lake

then my notes stopped being taken - sorry.

I'm really glad we got the chance to see Ellis again - and for three nights, what a real treat. I can't wait until the next opportunity.

Catch you guys and gals later.
Dean [and Elaine]

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:43 am

This came to mind just now...

Tunnel of Love
Bruce Springsteen

Fat man sitting on a little stool
Takes the money from my hand while his eyes take a walk all over you
Hands me the ticket smiles and whispers good luck
Cuddle up angel cuddle up my little dove
Well ride down baby into this tunnel of love

I can feel the soft silk of your blouse
And them soft thrills in our little fun house
Then the lights go out and it's just the three of us
You me and all that stuff were so scared of
Gotta ride down baby into this tunnel of love

There's a crazy mirror showing us both in 5-d
Im laughing at you you're laughing at me
There's a room of shadows that gets so dark brother
Its easy for two people to lose each other in this tunnel of love

It ought to be easy ought to be simple enough
Man meets woman and they fall in love
But the house is haunted and the ride gets rough
And youve got to learn to live with what you can't rise above if you want to ride on down in through this tunnel of love

Rock on Dean ~

You made my livin vicariously musical weekend!! 8)

Thank You
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:42 am

Dean,

I'm sure some people think I'm crazy when I say I could listen to Ellis Paul seven nights a week....but I figure I'm in an elite group.....the "chosen ones". Blessed be! :)

Thanks for (another) terrifc report!

KarenZ
AndaleOrbea wrote:KarenZ, you are so right about listening to artists repetitively (except for the one we were there to see) While it was nice to get to hear Ellis first, we really couldn't leave because we wanted to hear Ellis for the encore, and other obligations. And really it was fun to stand in the crowd with Ellis (at least for a short while) while Ari's set was going.
Dean [and Elaine]
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

monicar

Postby monicar » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:51 am

Awesome recaps, Dean. Thank you!

Karen, I'll be the crazy woman sitting next to you 7 nights a week listening to Ellis. I, for one, am thrilled to be one of the chosen ones!

I'm waiting for my husband and/or one of my kids to ask me to stop playing The Day After Everything Changed!

:lol:

Monica R.

pre10der

Postby pre10der » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:36 pm

I too was at the show last Sat night. I had never heard of Ari before this booking but checked him out online and was quite impressed by his stuff, it is a bit different that Ellis' music. Still I enjoyed Ari's set very much, even purchsed a CD after the show.

I was surprised to see that Ellis was opening but I figured since it was a co-bill that they may rotate who opens each night. Ellis sounded fine but you could tell he was a little under the weather. Some people from the audance yelled out Swine Flu when he was blowing his nose, he said no not the swine flu, a sinus infection. He didn't tell as many stories or play very long, about an hour. I know he had cancelled the next nights show because of a family emergency. I hope everything is Ok.

I've seen Ellis just about every time he comes to the Chicago area and I wish he would throw some different songs into his set lists. I know that when he has a new album coming out that he will play several songs form that and I think that is great, I enjoy hearing the new songs. I just wish some of the olders songs would get back into the rotation and perhaps replace songs like Alices Champaign Palace and Maria's Beautiful Mess. I really enjoyed the encore with Ari, "I Can't Make You Love Me" written by Mike Reid and Allen Shamblin and recorded by Bonnie Raitt on her Luck of the Draw album from 1991. The harmonies were excellent.

I had a table up front and got some pics, I'll try and post them this weekend.

Take It Easy
Tim

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:12 pm

Thanks Tim and look forward to your photos.

I hadn't heard of Ari Hest but watching the YouTube vids which have been posted up from the co-bill shows, I have to say that I really like his voice and it makes me want to investigate his music further.

Jela

lewis300

Postby lewis300 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:05 pm

I too was a little surprised by the lack of banter and stories. But that didn't take away from a great show. Ellis never fails to disappoint, and his latest trip to SPACE was no exception. The show was a gift for the missus, and she was thrilled with his effort. (Husbands make a note... Ellis works WAY better than flowers!)

While it was weird to have Ellis open, I am glad I stayed for Ari. He's fantastic, though by the last two or three songs, a bit repetitive-sounding.

On a totally unrelated note, did anyone try the prioscutto and arugula pizza from the adjacent restaurant? It was deeeeelish!

Patti

Postby Patti » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:48 pm

Lewis said
Husbands make a note... Ellis works WAY better than flowers!)

You got that right, my husband figured it out years ago.

Just reminded me that way back when early 80's :shock: (before we were dating) my husband Tim asked me to go to a JT concert with him, (he knew I was a big fan..I said "thanks but I've had my ticket/plans for awhile"... so he went with someone else (a guy friend I think)
Well JT put on one of the worst shows of his life that night. not sure why but it was miserable and that was the last time my rocker husband attended a "soft rock" show... till Ellis came along Things Change, they change alot.
:lol:
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

Return to “3000 Miles”