Greenhoe Theater--Putney, VT 24th May 2009

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

Sue Ellen

Greenhoe Theater--Putney, VT 24th May 2009

Postby Sue Ellen » Sat May 30, 2009 11:09 am

A bit of a lag here, guess it has taken me a bit to recover from a Memorial Day weekend of connecting with friends and family, music, and ALOT of miles, on my feet and on my Prius. After running a 4:10:31 marathon in Burlington (still tweaking the Ellis Paul billboard on my jersy), lunch in Middlebury with my brother, and playing with my nephews in Rutland, I continued down 103 to 91 into Putney (yes, Putney, not Poultney) to the Greenhoe Theater at Landmark College to hear Ellis, with Antje, and Anais Mitchell. I was pretty tired, so my notes and memory are sketchy. I did like this venue, a small auditorium with pretty good sound. Lori McKenna and MARK ERELLI will be there together on June 26th.

I knew of course going into this show what a treat it would be to hear both Ellis and Antje. In no way did I anticipate nor was I prepared for how blown away I would be by Anais Mitchell. I was absolutely mesmerized by her voice, her guitar, her music. Antje started the evening off, followed by Anais. After a short intermission Ellis was up, followed by all three on stage:

Antje:

1. Breathless
2. Vertigo (with Ellis and Anais)
3. Diamond on Your Hand (with Ellis)
4. Sex Band Aid
5. Dandelion
6. Diana's (Dina's) song (so sorry, I haven't heard this in so long, and I was so tired, I can't read my hand writing or remember Antje's friend's name)

Anais:

I do so apologize, especially to Jela, I just do not know this woman's music, and did not catch many titles if she gave them. I am hoping someone will have enough clues to fill in the blanks.

1. Cosmic something? Live Wire?
2. A song from Anais's Folk Opera (my knowledge of Greek Mythology is also wanting): this first song had to do with a conversation between lovers about how they would meet life's challenges (Lover Tell Me?)
3. A second song from the Folk Opera (We Build the Wall?)
4. The Sheppard (a new song I think, tragic and moving, heartwrenching, not just the lyrics but the performance)
5. I could tell you...something? with Antje
6. No idea...but I am certain it was beautiful

Intermission

Ellis (what an amazing professional, his presence was amazingly powerful and commanding):

1. Hurricane Angel (on the piano)
2. Rose Tattoo (with the harmonica)
3. Take all the Sky You Need
4. Maria's Beautiful Mess
5. Anna Lee
6. Summertime (on the Piano)

Trio: (I hate to admit, but I may have nodded off at points during this last set):

1. The new dragonfly song
2. a song by the Band
3. You were dead (?)
4. I Can't Make You Love Me
5. some Leonard Cohen song
6. one of Anais's songs
7. Way Over Yonder in the Minor Key
8. a duet by Antje and Anais
9. Sweet Part of Your Life (?)
10. Good Night Irene (encore)

Whew. That's the best I can do. I hope I spelled Anais's name correctly.
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

paddyinthepub

Re: Greenhoe Theater--Putney, VT 24th May 2009

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat May 30, 2009 11:37 am

SueEllen

Bless your sweet mistakes!!! :wink:

.....and thank you for the thouroughly detailed and joy to read report 8)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Sat May 30, 2009 1:49 pm

Thanks Paddy. Looking at Anais's website, I was able to decipher my notes on one song. I believe the last song she did solo was Shanandoah.

SE
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat May 30, 2009 2:17 pm

Sue Ellen - I love reading your reports and thanks for this one. I am so pleased that you liked Anais - she is just wonderful isn't she?

Re the song titles the best that I can do is:
1. Cosmic American
2. ? (unrecorded so I don't know it)
3. The Wall
4. The Shepherd - heard this live a couple times but it's an unrecorded song
5. Before the Eyes of Storytelling Girls
6.?

Now I am really green - Lori McKenna + Mark Erelli - would love to see Lori live and keep hoping that one of these days we'll manage to see her on a trip to Boston but no luck so far. Mark is over here in August :)

Hope that your legs have recovered from the Marathon!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun May 31, 2009 8:36 am

Sue Ellen,

Better late than never! :) Thanks for the detailed report! Loved being there vicariously through you. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Return to “3000 Miles”