Me and Thee Coffee House - Marblehead, MA - 5/01/09

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Me and Thee Coffee House - Marblehead, MA - 5/01/09

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri May 01, 2009 6:12 pm

Folks, still time to catch Ellis Paul's return to Me and Thee Coffee House in Marblehead, Mass. tonight. Hope someone there will be able to post a report and setlist on the show. Youtubes are greatly aprreciated, too! :) Opening for Ellis tonight is the amazing Chuck E Costa.

Here's a little more about Me and Thee in Marblehead, Mass.
Wecome to the "Church of Folk Music"
by Scot Alarik
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

care

Re: Me and Thee Coffee House tonight -- 5/01/09

Postby care » Sat May 02, 2009 9:45 am

Hey all :) I will post the set list - i apologize for not getting around to it with the antje one- but i have my book in front of me and here we go :)

I think this was one of the best ellis shows i've been to - and i've been to a few ;) marblehead is this great hole in the wall town and the me and thee is located in this great unitarian universalist church. the audience was fantastic! they welcomed chuck e. costa with a HUGE burst of applause and were full of energy when ellis came on.

here's what i got from chucks set...

1. (not sure of title name?) Color of my Restless Heart (maybe?)
2. At the Drawing Board
3. (didn't get a title) song for a childhood friend of his who was the best hockey goalie on his street in NY who grew up to be a firefighter for NY and fought the fires during 9/11.
*i heard some people talking at intermission that this song really moved them*
4. Answers
5. (not sure of title) had the lyrics "If I don't get what I want I guess I dont' need it"
6. So Many Things.

Ellis w. Mike Clem on bass(from Eddie from Ohio)

1.Ellis started on the piano with Hurricane Angel
2. Rose Tattoo (new song w/ harmonica :) )
3. Alice's Champagne Palace
4. Maria's Beautiful Mess
5. Anna Lee (?spelling) - Ellis unplugged and played in the audience for this one, he talked about his new record and that Hurricane Angel and Rose Tattoo were going to be on it.
6. Summertime (piano)
7. 3, 000 miles
*what struck me with this song was how long it took people to pick up on what it was - the "passim" crowd knows from the first chord :)*
8. Take all the Sky you need
9. Jukebox on my Grave (Johnny Cash was risen from the ashes singin "Boy Named Sue")
10. Blacktop Train (audience participation on teh "ooooo's" and stomping on the old church's floorboards :))
11. (new song) i think he's going to call it "Waking Up to Me" but Mike wanted to call it Driving All Night (he did make the point - Do we really need another driving song?!)
12. The World Ain't Slowin Down (plugged that jack ingram will be releasing it as a single)

At this point he asked for requests and I was ready ... and he did mine ...

13. Speed of Trees :) :) (MIke did a great job even though he didn't know it- and I realized I haven't heard this song played much recently - he didn't play it at the New Years Passim show i was at)
14. (also by request) Galileo

"this next song is requested by the bass player who will be playing guitar" and did a FANTASTIC job of it

15. (cover song) Johnny Cash's "the Night Hank Williams Came to Town
*anyone know how many songs EP mentions hank williams?)
16. Sweet Mistakes (broke a string)

Encore:

Words

Great show!!! :) :)

paddyinthepub

Re: Me and Thee Coffee House - Marblehead, MA - 5/01/09

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat May 02, 2009 11:47 am

You Rock Care!!! :D

#1 -- When I asked Chuck's manager a few weeks ago for a song title she relayed that he's writing so many these days she can barely keep up. Can hardly wait to hear this one for the first time!!! :wink:

#3 -- The Goalie is the song about the childhood friend who played hockey......very moving tribute! :cry:

#4 -- What You Wanna Hear ~ the answers may not be so clear they may not be what you wanna hear

#5 -- In the Weeds is my favorite new Chuck E Costa song ~ if I don't get what I want...I guess that I don't need it
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat May 02, 2009 2:08 pm

Thanks so much for the report - sounds like another great show. Super selection of songs and the news that Jack Ingram will be releasing TWASD as a single is fantastic! Hope it goes to No1 in the country charts and earns EP lots of $$$$$$

Jela

KSB

Postby KSB » Wed May 06, 2009 2:10 pm

I wouldn't exactly call Marblehead a "hole in the wall" town. We like to think of it as a cool, hip, quaint, historical and extremely groovy town and one of the main reasons is the presence of the me&thee coffeehouse which has been operating for 39 yrs. Our season ends this coming Friday.... Check out our website and read all the cool interviews or go to our You Tube channel: www.youtube.com/metheeTV. I'll be posting Ellis videos when I have a chance.

8)

Kathy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed May 06, 2009 2:54 pm

Kathy,

Welcome and thanks so much for the wonderful link! :) (We loved the link to the Me & Thee interviews too!)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed May 06, 2009 3:39 pm

Kathy....love your interviews found on the me and thee website....lookin forward to the youtubes!!!

Welcome aboard!!! 8)

Although it seems like you've been around forever as we've linked your interviews with artists that have graced the me and thee stage. I've been doing a little research on Marblehead since Sunday when I saw Chuck E Costa at a house concert in Maryland and he told me about his guitar not making into the car for his trip home to Connecticut and subsequently the Shenandoah Song Festival in Luray, Va. and then of course Gambrills, MD. where I learned of his misfortune. Although, it's interesting to me that he has a song he played that day titled I am Good Fortune. Anyway, doing my part behind the scenes to help him track it down and in doing so have learned a great deal about your little town through websites and various photos. I definitely have Marblehead on my list of places to see and will keep an eye on the me and thee calendar for next season. :wink:

Just to reiterate what happened to Chuck's guitar, in the hopes it might help in some small way:

Got another chance to see Chuck E Costa today at SusiesHouseConcerts and will post the setlist after this very special request to anyone who attended the Ellis Paul show with Chuck E Costa opening on Friday night May 1, 2009 at Me and Thee Coffeehouse in Marblehead, Mass.

Chuck set his guitar down on the street behind his car and long story short, drove off without it. It was two hours before he realized what he had done, and by then the guitar was picked up. He's hoping someone picked it up and is trying to get it back to it's rightful owner. If anyone saw an acoustic guitar in a hard case about half a block from the Unitarian Universalist Church located at 28 Mugford Street in Marblehead, Mass. please contact Me and Thee Coffeehouse or Chuck E Costa through his website.

Chuck told me the story within minutes of seeing him today after I asked him how his show in Luray VA went and also the show in Marblehead Mass at Me and Thee opening for Ellis Paul. He said he was really well received by both crowds but before he could go into great detail had to admit there was a bittersweet tale to tell about the guitar not making it into the car with him after the show in Marblehead. He's really hoping it turns up...and shared the sentimental value the guitar holds for him. Let's just say I hope, for Chuck's sake, a concert attendee saw it after the show at Me and Thee and picked it up for safe guarding. Being that it's the weekend, we figure maybe someone has it and that contact is forthcoming. Hope so. Thanks in advance for any ideas on Who/How/What/Where/Why/When we might advance the search should it not turn up soon.
paddy

KSB

Postby KSB » Mon May 11, 2009 10:10 am

I suggested that Chuck send a letter to the editor of the local paper and I sent one in this week (it's a weekly paper). I even offered a reward. We'll see if anything comes of it. I also went door to door in the area and put flyers about the missing guitar in mailboxes up and down the street. I don't know what else I can do at this point. I feel horrible.

Kathy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon May 11, 2009 10:18 am

Hi Kathy

Saw the newspaper letter to the editor last week and must say that was a great idea!!! I also like the idea of a reward offered. I was so hoping someone could go door to door, too, and you just made my day! :) I've read a few tales online lately of artists being reunited with long lost guitars so hopefully we can add Chuck's guitar and name to the list. Thanks for all your efforts. I just wish there existed a pawnshop network of newly taken in guitars so that a cross check to missing guitars could be easily referenced. The sad reality is that it could be sitting in a pawnshop almost anywhere in the greater Boston area but where would one begin? Thanks again! Still holding out hope...... :wink:
paddy

Return to “3000 Miles”