S.P.A.C.E. - Evanston, IL - April 17, 2009

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

S.P.A.C.E. - Evanston, IL - April 17, 2009

Postby KarenZ » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:41 am

Folks,

I'm on a road trip again today and hopefully we'll be able to report live from Chicago. I know road warriors Dean & Elaine will be there. Hope to meet some other mid-west Devotees as well. :)

More later,
KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Re: S.P.A.C.E. - Evanston, IL - April 17, 2009

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:12 pm

Have fun and look forward to your reports from the road.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:26 pm

Safe travels to all on the road this weekend for music. 8) Look forward to reports from the side of the road. :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

pre10der

Postby pre10der » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:58 pm

I will be at the show in Evanston Friday night. There will be 4 of us, me, my wife, and a good friend and his wife. This is about my 12th show # 4 0r 5 for my friends.

Hope Ellis plays a few oldies....
Translucent Soul
Angel In Manhattan
and one that is not as old....
If You Break Down.

Karen you get the set list and I'll bring my camera and get some pics! :)

Take It Easy
Tim

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:14 pm

Tim,

You can count on me to keep the setlist. ;-)

See you then! :-)

Karenz
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

jesterfool

Postby jesterfool » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:04 pm

Can't wait to see the photos--what a wonderful venue! The spotlight was perfect with Ellis's shadow behind him...just perfect! : D
"Embrace what you have in common;
celebrate what sets you apart.
It takes more than the color
that you find on a palate
to turn humanity into an art." ~Ellis Paul

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:56 pm

I got the setlist!!! can't wait to see the pics:

James Curley (local musician opened)

Ellis' First Set

1. Rose Tattoo
2. Hurricane Angel
3. Maria's Beautiful Mess
4. Alice's Champagne Palace
5. 3,000 Miles
6. Jukebox On My Grave
7. Take All the Sky You Need
8. Annalee (acoustically - in front of Elaine - Ellis told her not to touch him - got some chuckles - too bad I couldn't grab his a** while he was walking away just to see what his reaction would be :shock: )
9. Once Upon a Summertime
10. Walking After Midnight/Change medley
11. The Day After Everything Changed

Interval

12. Nothing Left to Take
13. Blacktop Train
14. Way Over Yonder in the Minor Key
15. The World Ain't Slowin' Down
16. Angel in Manhattan
17. Calendar Man
18. Road Trip
19. Speed of Trees
20. God's Promise
21. Sweet Mistakes

Encore
22. Home

Great times - got to meet Ellis' sister the night before in Madison. She's so sweet!!! And a runner too! It was fun to talk running (I had a 10 miler to run this morning - as some of you know). More fun to talk running than to actually run.

L8R.
db

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:38 pm

Wow! 22 songs! That was some show and thanks for posting Dean - sure am looking forward to the photos.

Hope that you're not too sore after your 10miler.

Jela

pre10der

Postby pre10der » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm

I got some great shots, 400+. I'll sort thru them tonight and post the top ones later. Busy day today. Soccer at 8am, Community park clean up til 12 noon. Baseball practice 3-5 and a Daddy-Daughter dance tonight.

I'll post my experience yesterday and the pics later

Take It Easy
Tim

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:37 am

AndaleOrbea wrote:8. Annalee (acoustically - in front of Elaine - Ellis told her not to touch him - got some chuckles - too bad I couldn't grab his a** while he was walking away just to see what his reaction would be :shock: )

db

SECURITY!!! :shock:

Thanks for the laugh and the report from the road...... :lol:

Looking forward to the photos, too, Tim. 8)
paddy

pre10der

Postby pre10der » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:37 pm

First let me say that I tried to upload the Photos into the Fan Photos archive but there seems to be a problem with that link. Below I've written my Ellis Experience on Friday night.

My wife and I left our quiet little suburban home and headed into Evanston at 5:15. The Navigator said we would arrive at SPACE in Evanston at 6pm. The Chicago area Rush hour traffic had other ideas. We finally arrived at 6:45. My friends had seats at the Bar and just as we walked in the couple next to them left so we sat down for dinner and drinks, and let me tell that first Ale was quite tasty.

After dinner we headed back to the music room. The venue is perfect for Folk music. They have 2 types of seating, Reserved Tables in the front half and General Admission in the back half. I had ordered a Reserved Table the first day they went on sale and I was very pleased when they sat us front row center. I realized that I had forgotten my camera in the car and with such good seats I knew I’d be able to get some good shots. So off to my car I went to get the camera.

After the warm up duo I was heading to the restroom and saw Ellis near the doorway into the music room. I asked him if he could play “If You Break Down” he kinda twisted his head a little and said Nah, it’s been a long time. I asked how about Angel In Manhatten and said I can do that. My wife leaned in and said the only time we seem to get a Date night is when you come to town. Then I added that we always seem to see him next to the washrooms. (A couple of years ago we talked with him and Don Conescenti near the restrooms at Schuba’s).

Ellis said that at the other venues he plays in the Chicago area that he usually has someone playing after him and that since there was nobody after him that we were in for a long night of music. He then asked if we wanted him to take a little break or if he should just play straight through. A few people yelled out to take a break so that is what he did.

When he was playing the song Take All The Sky You need and he got to the the line..

"And if you need space... to fly... free …free eee"

The second free eee is so close to the first that he doesn’t do it when he plays solo. Well I sang it and I guess since I was so close that he heard it. He gave me a smile, a nod and a wink so I take it that Ellis thought is sounded pretty good. That was WAY COOL!! :D

His playing as great and his voice sounded fabulous as always but he seemed to talk less and tell fewer stories. Oh well with 22 songs and fantastic seats I really can’t complain… THANKS ELLIS FOR ANOTHER GREAT SHOW! Come back to Chicago soon my wife and I need another date night.

Take It Easy
Tim

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:28 pm

Tim

Great report from S.P.A.C.E.

T.H.A.N.K.S.

Seems Ellis and a few others get my wife and I date nights out, too. 8)
paddy

pre10der

Postby pre10der » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:25 am

I've posted a link to the photos that I took Friday Night at S.P.A.C.E. in the Photographs section. It took me a while to go through all the pics that I took, 440in all. I posted the top 20. Take a look and let me know what you think!

Take It Easy
Tim

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:36 am

My sweet friend, Freddie, wanted me to let you all know what a great time she and her friend had at this show and how nice it was to see Karen and Becky!

:D

Monica R.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:17 pm

it was great seeing Freddie too! She's my role model! :)

KarenZ

Return to “3000 Miles”