Jammin' Java, Vienna, Virginia--4th April 2009

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

Sue Ellen

Jammin' Java, Vienna, Virginia--4th April 2009

Postby Sue Ellen » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:47 am

Uh-Oh, I don't think I can read my hand writing on this napkin, but I'll do my best. This show was opened by "Last Train Home." Great harmonies, and a trumpet. Ellis opened with Hurrican Angel on piano and then was joined by Micheal Clem from Eddie from Ohio on his bass...acoustic bass? I don't know, but it's a pretty thing, for "Rose Tatoo." I don't think I've ever heard Ellis play his harmonica until just then. It was great. Well, as best as I can decipher and remember, here is the set list (please excuse my spelling, I'm at a loss without spell check and too lazy to click over to dictionary.com):

1. Hurricane Angel
2. Rose Tatoo
3. Alice's Champaigne Palace
4. Maria's Beautiful Mess
5. Three Thousand Miles (with Robbie Schaeffer, also from Eddie from Ohio)
6. Take All the Sky You Need
7. Juke Box on My Grave (having Johnny Cash sing "Boy Named Sue")
8. Black Top Train
9. World Ain't Slowin' Down

Intermission

10. Summertime
11. Anna Lee, Unplugged
12. Waking Up To Me
13. Things Change
14. Calendar Man (just in time to celbrate Earth Day)
15. Road Trip (LOTS of Audience Participation)
16. America (again with Robbie Schaefer)
17. God's Promise (I thought I was going to hear Speed of Trees...but it came out as God's Promise)
18. Martyr's Lounge

Encore:
19. Nothing Left to Take
20. There was one more encore, but for the life of me, I can't decipher, and I can't remember...but I'll get back to you all if I can figure it out.

I was tickled pink to share this show with three newbies, a smart-ass group of international women who are dear friends. I think they really like Ellis, although I'm certain the Aussie was puzzled as to why no one was dancing. I'm going to try to get them all to Baldwin's Station in May.

Catch you all soon.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: Jammin' Java, Vienna, Virginia--4th April 2009

Postby KarenZ » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:14 am

Sue Ellen,

I'll be your spell-check/titles editor. ;)

Sounds like an awesome night of music. Wish I could have heard EP and RS collaborating on "America". ;-)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:57 pm

Thanks for the review and the setlist. My other local correspondent said that it was a great show, but she was a little light on the details. :-)

I love Jamin Java and their chili. It really adds to the music. :-)
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:29 pm

Somehow missed your show report til just this instant, SueEllen.

Great reading your report on the Jammin Java show.... :)

Can anyone shed light on the song America for me.....thanks.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

proflandry

Postby proflandry » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:17 pm

If I remember correctly, the last encore was "Speed of Trees."

To answer Paddy in the Pub's question, The three of them did the Simon and Garfunkle song "America." I was kind of hoping they'd do "Leon" from Robbie's solo CD, which Ellis sings on. But, "America" was cool too.

I thought the funniest part of the show was before "God's Promise," Mike Clem starts reciting Ellis' usual explanation as to how he (Ellis) came to write the song (Nora Guthrie, Woodie's daughter, approached me...).

Return to “3000 Miles”