The Flash - Kennett Square, PA - April 3, 2009

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

The Flash - Kennett Square, PA - April 3, 2009

Postby KarenZ » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:53 pm

Wow....I started this thread this afternoon and it was gone this evening. Something very weird going on today with posts disappearing. I have NO idea why/how that is happening, and I apologize to those of you who have had posts disappear.

Paddy, we're still expecting a report from the road! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Re: The Flash - Kennett Square, PA - April 3, 2009

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:46 am

The Flash in Kennett Square, Pa. is just 10 weeks into it's run and already voted #2 for live music in the region by a local news source. Last night we saw exactly why the claim was made. The folks that run this non-profit were first rate at every turn. The night's emcee is the driving force behind the scenes and it's obvious he enjoys his work bringing fine musical talent to his patrons on a consistent basis. After seeing Chris Kasper perform a fine 30 min. opening set of original songs then Ellis Paul and Mike Clem (Eddie from Ohio) run through a sometimes tight sometimes loose set of EP staples and hand selected cover songs I knew this place would remain high on my list of venues to return to again and again.

The set had Mike Clem (from Eddie from Ohio) on acoustic bass most of the way. The rapport between these two friends was fun to watch. Mike Clem reminds me in the best way as kind of the consumate second banana, happy to hang back and play tastefully all the while able to damn near steal the spotlight with his loose comedic timing. At times, all in the span of a night, in Mike I saw shades of Pete Townsend and Keith Moon of The Who with just a hint of Nathan Lane here and there. Like Mike's appreciation for an audience member's help with a crossword clue from earlier in the day. How Ellis only plays the white piano keys.

Anyway.....great to get out to see Ellis Paul in concert again. The venue was sold out for this show and the line at merch in the lobby for Ellis Paul fans in the making was substantial. Lots of CDs and DVDs were sold from where we stood. One thing I happened to notice was a man ask Ellis to sign the new DVD just bought to his 2 sons. Then Ellis asked there names and ages and upon learning they were young Ellis asked the man if they had heard his Children's CD. The man responded by saying "oh, you have one?" as he looked towards merch for it and before you could say Wabi Sabi Ellis had picked one up off the table and gifted The Dragonfly Races to him saying "here, it's on me" 8)

Ellis has 2 shows today in Vienna, Va. at Jammin Java. The 11am matinee will be for the kids with songs off his award winning Children's album and then later tonight the regular show with the kids at home. Of the many reasons ya leave the kids at home was Ellis rendition of the song Calendar Man near the end of the set. Ellis took the time to talk about the song's cowriter and his friend, Don Conoscenti, about the bike accident that saw him airlifted by helicopter from Taos NM to Denver, Co. for treatment of his broken femur. He asked folks to google DonCon for info on helping out with medical expenses. Nice touch. Course he said if you're not offended by some of Calendar Man there's something wrong. And of course added you can email Don Conoscenti and give him a piece of your mind since he's partly responsible. :wink:

The Flash is a BYO and since Ellis and Mike brought none when Ellis asked for a glass of wine from the house he was quickly told they hadn't any to give. That's when audience members front and center came through in a hurry and quickly poured two glasses of their own red wine for the musicians in need! :P The connection Ellis, Mike, and the capacity Kennett Flash crowd developed was a sight to see. Ellis said he enjoyed playing there and would love to return and do it all again. I second that emotion! :D

The setlist...with Mke Clem along for the ride on most songs on 4 string acoustic bass....wow!!! 8)

hurricane angel
rose tattoo
maria's beautiful mess
take all the sky you need
alice's champagne palace
3000 miles
jukebox on my grave
walkin after midnight/things change (cover of patsy cline/sam baker)
summertime
anna lee (unplugged) funny story about muse royalties
waking up to me
blacktop train
the world ain't slowing down
angel in manhattan
let it be (beatles cover)
when we begin -- 2 girls up front had requested When You Break Down
calendar man
the night hank williams came to town (johnny cash)

At one point Mike chided Ellis about only playing the white keys on the piano and Ellis laughed and said "yea, I'm a segragated keyboard player" which garnered a sweet response from the only black man in the room who was seated right down front not five feet from Ellis. He'd been kind of quiet all night. But he did manage the crowd response line of the night when he said out loud " well, ya need to work on that " which made Ellis laugh all the more as he continued playing only the white keys. "I am, I am" Ellis replied! :lol:
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:50 am

Nice Paddy, very nice...

About how far from the Wayne area is this place, maybe I can check it out next time I'm in town?
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:32 pm

Patti

Just under 30 miles from Wayne to Kennett Square -- for reference it's just beyond the popular attraction Longwood Gardens. :wink:
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:59 pm

Paddy - great review - thanks very much for posting and you got to hear 'Angel in Manhattan' and 'When we Begin' two of my absolute favourites - you lucky dawg!

Rose Tattoo is fast becoming a big favourite as well.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:10 pm

Jela, I have to add that two girls in the front row asked for a song. Upon hearing the girls request for When you Break Down, Ellis said okay, ya want to hear that one? I'll try but i'm not sure I can play that one. One of us was having a senior moment. :P Was it Ellis? Was it me? You can add my wife's name too as on the ride home we talked about how we both heard the girls ask for When You Break Down. Now, in Ellis' defense, the song is titled If You Break Down so maybe he thought he heard them say When We Begin. He absolutely nailed it, of course, though to me and the missus' dismay. We were like, what? :shock:

red red wine it make me feel so fine...feel so fine all of the time! :lol:
paddy

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:00 pm

Ohhhhh Paddy! Thanks so much for sharing your show report.

You might remember that Ellis toured with Mike Clem in December through the Midwest, when Steppin' In It opened in Dayton, Bloomington, IL, and St. Louis. Elaine and I had a chance to talk to Mike around the shows. Really nice man, and really funny, too, even some of his songs makes me laugh - he's got some solo stuff that's a riot, and a wonderful musician. I'm glad he was with Ellis when you got to see him.

Perhaps Ellis will bring Mike with him to the Midwest again, in a few weeks - can you imagine being in a car with those two for hours and hours? It'd be fun to drive and listen to their stories...

Thanks again for your fine report! 8)
Dean

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:45 am

Dean

Think you might be in luck with Mike Clem onstage with Ellis. It was kind of odd for me to hear Ellis say at the start that this was the first time playing with Mike because I read a certain music forum on a rather regular basis that keeps me up to date on such things..... :wink:

Is it possible Ellis forgot those shows you posted about a while back where Mike joined him? I sure hadn't. :P It's more likely that Ellis was simply stating that this was the first show out on the current stretch of shows in what will be many to come. So here's hoping he's in for the long haul. 8)

Yes, I can imagine these 2 guys in a car travelling the country. Oh to be the producer wise enough to start that reality tv show....on the road with the story song boys.....ya see, Ellis made mention that he and Mike were passing the time on a beautiful drive up from Charlottesville that day by making a list of their all time favorite story songs. Ellis said they were going to make a compilation CD of the best of the best and if audience members had any good ones in mind to write the titles on a napkin and send it up. Not sure they received any, outside the one I offered prior to the napkin suggestion. "Cat's in the Cradle" to which Ellis said "yup, Harry Chapin is easily in my top 10" -- Tonight I'd add Hurricane by Bob Dylan. 8) Who knows, maybe we should start a thread to help the guys round out their list. :wink:

Lastly, who needs Crosby Stills Nash & Young when ya can have Ellis, Paul, Mike, Pete, Keith, Nathan & Clem.... :P
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:05 am

hmm

story songs interesting....

Love the movie the Hurricane with Denzel Washington, whiched made me read the book the movie was based on, which made me listen to the song that Bob had written. (may have heard Bob sing the song before but probably could not understand what he was saying.)

If Ellis is doing story songs.. he HAS to do a Dan Fogelberg song.. A few to choose from but I vote Tucson Arizona (Gazzette) off of Windows and Walls. To quote Dan, "a movie for the ears"

Ellis posted on FaceBook awhile back that he has joined a group of "Dan Fans" SO maybe just maybe he has heard this one!!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:35 am

The coffee is working wonders this morning. A few sips in and Patti's latest post has the old gray matter searching the memory banks and story songs are flying left and right. Just to clarify Ellis and Mike Clem's intention wih the story songs, the plan to create a compilation disc of the best story songs for their listening pleasure on the road......so less them putting together a CD of songs they hope to cover -- and more just songs gathered up on one disc...or Ipod...for fun on the road. Course it could just be a fun game to help pass the miles beneath them...... :D

Adding these fine story songs though it's likely some have already made the list.

Alice's Restaurant...Arlo Guthrie
The Red Headed Stranger...Willie Nelson
The Point...Harry Nilsson
30, 000 lbs of Bananas...Harry Chapin
The Ballad of Jamie B.....John Gorka
Gold Heart Locket...Jeff Black
Here Comes the Water....Chuck Pyle

I'll stop before Karenz cuts and pastes all this into a new thread of Story Songs for EPMC...... :P

Story Songs EPMC.....hey you know me!!! :lol:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:35 am

Paddy,

Thanks for the detailed report from the road!

Re: Mike Clem playing with EP, three possible reasons for EP saying it was the first time:

1. You misheard or misinterpreted his comment.
2. The mid-west swing that Dean reminded about may have been more "unofficial" than "official".
3. EP is having senior moments like the rest of us. ;-)

I suspect it's #3. :-)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:54 pm

yes senior moments, that must be it...

just like me and the cover song chaos... more like wishful thinking!!

I know years ago at the New Bedford Folk Festival (which Ellis will be appearing at this year :mrgreen: ) Someone from Eddie From Ohio, jumped up on stage with him.. Ellis looked a little surprised as I don't think it was planned at all, fun just the same!!
I think I even have a picture for proof!!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:23 pm

Hank Senior Moment
by John Gorka

Your heart is broke
Your liver too
Your stomach's turned
It's back on you

Lonesome and gray
You cannot say