Sam Bond's Garage - Eugene, OR - 3.29.2009

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

GlennCase

Sam Bond's Garage - Eugene, OR - 3.29.2009

Postby GlennCase » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:40 am

Hey y'all,

Time for my annual report!

This year marked our fifth annual trip to see Ellis in concert. Rachael and I are from Spokane and we normally travel to Seattle to see him. We kept looking for a Seattle show to appear in the tour dates, and we were starting to become concerned that there might not be one this year. Then we made plans to come to the Eugene show when it showed up on the site. Of course, a Seattle show finally did appear, but we had already made our plans by then. Would have been great to have done the Seattle/Portland/Eugene trifecta, but it just wouldn't have been feasible.

I'm so glad we came to this show. The venue's atmosphere was charming, the sound was absolutely fantastic, and we were treated to two sets of Ellis Paul awesomeness! It was a nice bonus to be able to hang out with Ellis for a while before the show, and to run the merch booth, too! Rach and I used our combined knowledge of the CDs to explain the differences between the albums, and it seemed to help.

Here are the setlists:

SOUNDCHECK
I Can't Make You Love Me - Bonnie Raitt Cover
(Couldn't identify second song. Lyrics included "Safe and Sound" and "Kiss the Rain")

SET ONE
Rose Tattoo
Hurricane Angel
The Day After Everything Changed
Maria's Beautiful Mess
Jukebox On My Grave
(New song? "She's History")
3,000 Miles
Once Upon a Summertime
Take All the Sky You Need
Walkin' After Midnight (Patsy Cline Cover)/Things Change Medley

SET TWO
Let it Be (Beatles Cover)
The Speed of Trees
Sam Bond's Garage (Impromptu song)
The World Ain't Slowin' Down
Alice's Champagne Palace
She Was
Blacktop Train
Martyr's Lounge
Waking Up To You

We got some video footage of the Sam Bond's Garage song, and Waking Up To You. Was thinking I'll upload it to YouTube in the near future. Will let you know when I do!

ROCK!

Glenn Case

Richard + Jela

Re: Sam Bond's Garage - Eugene, OR - 3.29.2009

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:45 am

Thanks for the report and look forward to seeing your videos in due course.

Jela

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:07 am

Thanks for the report!!

The new song is called Nothing Left To Take, but that is only because that title won the fan clap off at a show. The other options were, She's History and The Hurt. I wonder if that song will ever really have just one name. :D
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:52 am

Thanks for the report Glenn! :) After the miserable atmosphere I had to suffer through last night seeing Mark Erelli open for Josh Ritter (I could not bring myself to stay for Josh), it's nice to hear a venue described as having a charming atmosphere. I wish Club Passim would open franchises around the country....

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

GlennCase

Postby GlennCase » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:27 pm

Here are some YouTube clips from the show:

Sam Bond's Garage (improvised song about the venue).
Waking Up to You
Walkin' After Midnight - Things Change
Nothing Left to Take

We also took some pictures, but we need to check out of this hotel and get on the road. Yay for wireless internet!

[EDIT: Pictures posted! Check 'em out here.]

ROCK!

Glenn Case

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:28 am

Glenn - thanks for the videos and photos - you rock!

Reading your comments about the videos and in particular about the songs for the new CD, Ellis mentioned to me in Vermont last summer that Sam Baker's 'Change' was a possibility for the new CD and from your comments it looks like it's going to make the cut which is great news.

I think I'm right in saying that if it's on the CD it will be the very first time that Ellis has put a cover song on a studio CD - can't think of a better man than Sam Baker to start off with :)

Jela

GlennCase

Postby GlennCase » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:33 am

Richard + Jela wrote:Glenn - thanks for the videos and photos - you rock!

Reading your comments about the videos and in particular about the songs for the new CD, Ellis mentioned to me in Vermont last summer that Sam Baker's 'Change' was a possibility for the new CD and from your comments it looks like it's going to make the cut which is great news.

There were a few people asking about 'Walkin' After Midnight/Things Change' when Rach and I were running the merch booth. I mentioned this to Ellis, and he said it was going to be on the upcoming CD. :)

ROCK!

Glenn Case

Return to “3000 Miles”