Circle of Friends Coffeehouse, Franklin MA 1/10/09

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

mm

Circle of Friends Coffeehouse, Franklin MA 1/10/09

Postby mm » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:22 am

Briefness now due to tiredness, but Ellis, as he always is, was an excellent performer in Franklin. Key images: snow, snowglobe effect behind windows on performer, wonderful songs, fantastic new ones, packed room despite said snow, Ellis with a bad cold but you'd never know it from his performance, great humor on stage, terrific young opener Seth, many good folks there (Rachel, Ralph, Betsy, Bonnie, Susan who is less sore and able to sit without a pillow, Lois my funny coworker and friend, my friend Kelly, the sound/light guys who I know, Jake who runs the show, etc.), and a SLOW, snowy drive home. There will likely be ten inches when I wake up. Bonnie, dear, hope you plugged in all those great new CDs and relaxed while you drove a mile at a time. Thanks Ellis for the GREAT night and spirits and making it back up north for the show!!!

bonuela

Re: Circle of Friends Coffeehouse, Franklin MA 1/10/09

Postby bonuela » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:49 am

Monica, thanks for the well wishes. I made it home safely. Slowly. :-)

Here is the setlist.

Rose Tattoo
Hurricane Angel
Once Upon A Summertime
Annalee ~in the audience
The World Ain't Slowing Down
Maria's Beautiful Mess
Alice's Champagne Palace
Take All The Sky You Need
Jukebox On My Grave
Three Thousand Miles
The Day After Everything Changed
Catch the Rain
Heaven's Wherever You Are * first time hearing this new song
Happy Birthday ~ it was young Emily's birthday
Waking Up to Me
Speed of Trees ~in the audience
Home ~ encore
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:19 am

Thanks for the reports from what seems like a snow covered state - great that you got to hear the new songs live and importantly, that you all got home safe and sound.

Jela

mm

Postby mm » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:05 am

I LOVED that song Heaven's Wherever You Are, on piano. Ellis said it was brand new....has it been out for a bit?

Also, Waking Up to Me is an absolutely gorgeous song, which I felt when I heard it before. And I think this is my first time hearing AnnaLee, which I think has huge potential for radio. Someone just needs to write a screenplay around it...Karen, maybe in your free time??

Bonnie, good to hear you're toasty at home. It was really great to see EP and the surrounding folks and good vibes.

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:34 am

Glad y'all enjoyed the show and got home safely. We cancelled the show at Stone Soup !? Parking ban was in effect for the city..performeres were a lesser known act(s), our audience (mostly Rhode Islanders) don't come out in "weather" Oh well.. I took the opportunity to go to the movies with my husband and some friends :P

Curious was it a full house in Franklin? They hold about 250...

Monica, I'm pretty sure Ellis played AnnaLee at Fox Run in the fall..??

Any word on when the CD is being recorded and set for release? :D
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:28 am

Dear Monica and Bonnie:

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the show reports! They're awesome. Nothing still on the horizon for us to see EP play in the Midwest, of course we're were totally spoiled in the fall.

The first record I have of hearing Annalee was in Traverse City, MI on June 20, 2008 - it was a 'snippet of a new song' at that time - of course it was 'Solstice Day' or very close to it, so we got that version of Calender Man, too. :?

We first heard 'It's Wherever You Are' or 'Heaven's Wherever You Are' at The Ark in Ann Arbor, MI on October 17 - but it is partially on the 'Sound Check' on the Live from WERS disk, too - If I recall correctly Karen called this 'The Happy Song' sometime before that.

So glad to hear that Susan's on the mend. I felt so bad for her that night at Passim. Thanks for reporting on that too.

We've been getting some snow in the south Chicagoland area, too, but not to the extent you folks are.

Thanks again friends.
Dean

mm

Postby mm » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:56 pm

Snow's stopped (only about 6 inches), roads are good, looks like Ellis has more shows today and tomorrow for those who are regional!
Awesome.
Patti, sorry to hear your Stone Soup show was cancelled and glad you had a well deserved night with Tim. Thanks for the input Dean too!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:38 pm

....read all about in the Sunday paper.....Sunday paper (Elvis Costello) :)

Thanks all for the sunday morning read.....stay safe and warm. :D

read all about it in the Sunday Forum.....Sunday Forum 8)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:41 pm

Well it's been pretty cold here too but nothing like you folks get out there....we also took the opportunity to go to the movies yesterday as it was sooo cold. We saw 'The Reader' and both thought that it was an excellent film - it's had great reviews here and they are thoroughly deserved.

There seem to be a lot of good movies out about now and it always seems that there's nothing worth going to see for ages and then all the good stuff comes together.

What did you see Patti?

Jela

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:31 pm

Very disappointed that we did not make it there last night. With 2 of the kids entering finals week, we made the unpopular decision to stay home and get some extra time studying in..... Looks like TCAN will likely be my next good opportunity.

Sounds like it was a good show - and that they switched opening acts up (weather ?). Very sorry I missed "Heaven's Where You Are."

And the snowstorm, though perhaps inconvenient for those driving home, was a bit of a dud here..... After the news folks were done hyperventilating over the 10 inches we would be getting - 4-5 inches was a letdown.
Jeff

Return to “3000 Miles”