Our Redeemer Lutheran Church Indianapolis, IN Dec. 20, 2008

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

AndaleOrbea

Our Redeemer Lutheran Church Indianapolis, IN Dec. 20, 2008

Postby AndaleOrbea » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:51 am

What more superlatives can one say about EP shows? Perhaps I should stop, but it’s so hard. Let’s just say that I’m sure you know by now how EP’s show was in Indianapolis. Yet another reason why we keep trying to make his shows, especially when he’s in the Midwest.

Very nice venue – but most churches are for sound. Lighting was typical of a church, not too much in terms of ‘stage’ lighting, and they had to keep the house lights up for the whole show. That was neat. Interesting point for my Irish friends, too – Beer sold in church!!!! OMG (can I say OMG?) Reminded me of the Fitzgerald show last January where EP talked that he didn’t want his show to seem like being in church – and ‘people’ shouted out ‘Hallelujah!’ And others shouted out ‘Amen’ – won’t name any names here… Ellis mentioned that he thinks this is the best venue in Indianapolis – and he said he played every venue here.

Ellis asked for the audience to at least show him a smile once and a while so he knew they were still interested in what he was playing. Well there was more than smiling was going on. At one point during Maria’s Beautiful Mess, Ellis spotted someone crying as he was starting the second verse. It made him stop playing so he had to start over again. He was such a gentleman too. He said he wouldn’t identify who was crying, only that they knew who they were. Ellis even got heckled after Jukebox On My Grave about what would happen if he were cremated. Lots of folks calling out songs they wanted to hear. And a nice intermission to refill beverages at church….

At one point he said he was thankful that he didn’t have a cross over his head while he was on stage. I didn’t mention to him that it may have been possible. If you stood or sat in the right place in the audience (stage left) while he was on the piano, well let me just say that it could have been possible.

I noted that in the song If I Could Catch the Rain, that he changed ‘insurance bills’ to ‘mortgage bills’ in the lyrics.

Ellis also talked about how much money he’d raised through his fundraising for the new record and said he should have done it sooner (everyone laughed at that – he meant for it to be funny)

Here’s the setlist:

1. Rose Tattoo
2. Hurricane Angel
3. Maria’s Beautiful Mess
4. Anna Lee (not acoustically)
5. Waking Up to Me
6. Once Upon A Summertime [piano]
7. Jukebox On My Grave
8. Take All the Sky You Need
9. Alice’s Champagne Palace
10. The World Ain’t Slowing Down

*** Interval ***
11. It’s Wherever You Are
12. If I Can Catch the Rain
13. Rodeo Clown
14. Snow In Austin
15. Little Wood Guitar !!!!!!!!!!!!!
16. Words
17. Walking After Midnight/Change
18. Let It Be
19. Did Galileo Pray?
20. Blacktop Train [acoustically]

Encore: Jingle Bells/Frosty/Rudolph

Second Encore: My Mother Popped Out [poem]

We stayed over in Indy. Had dinner after the show at Hard Rock – not somewhere I normally go, but it was close to where we were staying, and sometimes it’s fun to see artifacts from old favorites. Elaine’s a big Mellencamp fan, as you might think, so it was cool to see some of his stuff. There was also a room with a bunch of Michael Jackson’s stuff too, being from Gary, Indiana, you know.

Had a quick trip home today through high winds and very cool temps (-2 F when we got home at 1:00 pm)

That’s about it for this show. I hope Ellis has a safe trip and a good show in Louisville. We just couldn’t make that trip today as I have business travel tomorrow morning, and well we do have jobs, as much as it seems we spend time away from them lately.

Best Regards,
Dean [and Elaine]

Richard + Jela

Re: Our Redeemer Lutheran Church Indianapolis, IN Dec. 20, 2008

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:56 am

Thanks for all your reports Dean [and Elaine] just love reading them and learning what a great time you are having at the shows.

See you next week!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:11 am

Don't ever stop! :)

KarenZ
AndaleOrbea wrote:What more superlatives can one say about EP shows? Perhaps I should stop, but it’s so hard. Dean [and Elaine]
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:26 am

Ditto here!

:D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Return to “3000 Miles”