Schubas, Chicago, IL December 19, 2008

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

AndaleOrbea

Schubas, Chicago, IL December 19, 2008

Postby AndaleOrbea » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:20 pm

Schubas! Schubas! Schubas!

We're renting a van and taking 11 friends (including their spouses) to the Friday Night Show (someone can't bring their spouse). Dinner at Flattop Grill and an evening of music from 'The Man'. Plus two more shows over the weekend thanks to Ellis' return visit to the Midwest.

Yee Haw!!! Road Trip!!!

Dean and Elaine
Last edited by AndaleOrbea on Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

paddyinthepub

Re: Schubas, Chicago, IL December 19, 2008

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:32 pm

Dean and Elaine...the host and hostess with the mostest!!! 8)

Sounds like a wonderful weekend is in store for you and a boatload, make that vanload, of friends.

I can hear the music in the van now........."we're on a roadtrip, a roadtrip, the miles on the dash....."

:D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:53 pm

Dean,

Safe travels in the road trip van and have fun! Looking forward to more field reports! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:07 am

Thanks Paddy and Karen!

We're having an unofficial holiday today at work. We're having an Ellis Paul Holiday! :D

Okay, now off to work.
Dean

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:46 am

What a brilliant idea! :)

Just spoke with Illinois Bill. He plans to be there tonight, but says it's snowing like crazy. I'm saying a prayer that the weather will clear for you all to get there safely.....

KarenZ

AndaleOrbea wrote:We're having an unofficial holiday today at work. We're having an Ellis Paul Holiday! :D
Dean
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:25 pm

....weather advisory...one for the diary, windy and cold, so stay off the road!!! :wink:

Dean and Elaine......thinking about you and your guests tonight....on the road.

Be safe... :)
paddy

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:24 am

Hey Ya’ll!

Nice Blizzard reference, Paddy!

Another fantastic show last night! To borrow a phrase from the Jazz age, and referencing a song by the group that Ellis played with two weeks ago “Steppin’ In It” – Ellis was Hitting on all Six! Totally awesome. Ellis mentioned that Schubas was one of his top five favorite venues to play in. And no wonder. The crowd was really into it. And he played many of his new songs, too, which was totally cool. Two of three Christmas Wishes granted (songs played) and plenty of surprises, too! And made promises I couldn’t keep, but that’s okay… Or at least it will have to be. Just ended up being a busy night and couldn’t get everything done I wanted to do.

Rented a ‘church’ van to take several colleagues and their spouses to the City for dinner and the Ellis show. Thanks, too, for your well wishes Paddy and Karen! The weather cooperated just enough for us to return home safely – plenty of downed powerlines around the area because of the freezing rain the night before – quite slushy all day. We stared off with 9 in the van and drove into the City to pick up one compadre’s wife who works in ‘The Loop’, then back out on Lake Shore Drive, to Belmont then west to Southport. And when we’re just driving up to Schubas, I saw Ellis’ car! From Virginia! He drove through that crappy weather earlier to come to Chicago for the shows. To borrow another phrase, he’s such a Road Warrior!

We ate dinner at Flattop Grill (a chain where you select your meat and veg, etc. buffet-style, and then they cook it for you like at a Mongolian Grill) while two others caught up with us there. Got a wonderful call from KarenZ, which was so nice! (I hope you don’t mind me saying that you called). I went over early to see if I could find Ellis, but when I walked through the door to the bar, I saw Rachel!!!!! And Ralph Jaccodine!!! [Rachel! Rachel! Went and cut her hair one day, Rachel! Rachel! Hair don’t sway no more ‘cause it’s short! Rachel! Rachel! Wear orange ‘bout everyday…. Sorry, I digress, but I love that sound check on the Live from WERS, and I love the color Orange…] Anyway, they are in town for business and to come to the shows. It was so nice to see her and get a chance to meet Ralph, too. I asked Rachel if there was a way that perhaps she could help me with getting seats for my group of 12 (which was my goal if I could have seen Ellis), and she was so nice to help me with that. [I hope you don’t mind me mentioning this on the discussion board, either, Rachel – it was so cool to see you there! And thank you for helping me – I know it was a bit much to ask, but I really appreciate that you would help me with that]. Then back to the Grill to rally the troops. Then back to the venue to get our seats and to say ‘Hi’ to Ellis before the show. Also got to see IllinoisBill there (and gave him a big hug for you KarenZ, and have a big hug to return to you from him when I see you in a just over a week!!! Yea! And don’t let me forget to give you your hug…)

Schubas is one of those venues that are really wonderful for musicians. Great room for sound and the stage is high enough to get to see the artist perform. And it certainly is one of the best venues for an EP show. It was my fourth time seeing him there. I asked Rachel if the show was being recorded for sale at the end of the night, but unfortunately not. The last two times I was there, someone had made arrangements to have the show recorded which was really neat. Perhaps next time.

It didn’t take long for Ellis to get up to speed, although he did seem a bit nervous. I say that because he didn’t start with Hurricane Angel – but with Maria’s Beautiful Mess, followed by Alice’s Champagne Palace – and that really got the crowd into it early on – of course there were so many lovers of EP’s music in attendance, including our 12. I felt Ellis getting into his groove. At one point, early, he asked the audience to raise their hand for anyone who ever had Ellis play at their wedding, a friend of theirs wedding, hired him in some way…. And about half of the crowd raised their hands! Then he joked that he would play Bar Mitzvahs and would even play a song or two at your divorce if you wanted (which brought a huge laugh from the crowd)! It was just so much fun…

About half way into his set list, Ellis started to commit to playing alternating new songs with old favorites, so you may see a theme below. Also Ellis brought his new guitar with him, but I don’t think he actually played it during the show – he did display it for the audience during the set. I must admit, it looked a lot like his old guitar, the one he plays most of his current songs on, just not so much wear near the sound hole.

Now for the setlist:

1. Maria’s Beautiful Mess
2. Alice’s Champagne Palace
3. Rose Tattoo
4. 3,000 Miles
5. Hurricane Angel
6. The World Ain’t Slowing Down
7. Anna Lee (acoustically)
8. Blacktop Train (acoustically, with audience participation on the ooo-ooo parts)
9. Waking Up To Me (aka Drive All Night)
10. Little Wood Guitar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
11. Take All the Sky You Need
12. Calendar Man
13. Walking After Midnight/Change medley
14. The Day After Everything Changed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
15. Rollaway Bed
16. Once Upon a Summertime
17. My Mother Popped Out [poem]
18. Jukebox On My Grave
19. Let It Be (Encore)

Schubas had another act booked at 10 pm, so we were ushered out right after Ellis set, and unfortunately we didn’t get to talk to him afterwards. I went to get the ‘church’ van and for about the 10th time that night Stepped In It (big ol’ slushy puddle), pick up my group and sang Christmas songs, first, just those off the top of our heads, then those from the radio on the way back to Indiana. It’s amazing what one can remember from Christmas songs of their childhood.

That’s about it for last night’s show. Today is the Family Show. We’re taking Elaine’s parents, and meeting her brother, sister-in-law and niece for that show, so truly a Family Show – thankfully we have a youngster to accompany us. Then it’s off to Indianapolis for tonight’s show. I’m not planning on posting a response until Sunday after we get back from Indy.

Yak at ya’ll later.

Dean [and Elaine]
Last edited by AndaleOrbea on Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:08 am

Dean........you were just what my morning coffee was missing this morning! :)

Thank you for the wonderful account of a night in Chicago to see Ellis Paul..... 8)

I was listening to 'Waking up to me' from the WERS session yesterday......wow!!! Glad that was in the set last night as it's fast becoming a fave around here. Enjoy the family show and all the weekend holds in store. Continued safe travels to you and yours.

Wait....how short did Rachel cut her hair??? :shock: :lol:
paddy

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:23 am

paddyinthepub wrote:Wait....how short did Rachel cut her hair??? :shock: :lol:
hehehehehehehehehe

It's grown back. You're so funny. Gotta run.
db

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:43 pm

Dean,

So relieved to know you all made it there and back safely. Thanks for another wonderful show report. I'm looking forward to hearing "Little Wood Guitar" and the other new ones. I love Schubas. :)

KarenZ

Return to “3000 Miles”