Canal Street Tavern - Dayton, OH - Dec. 5, 2008

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

AndaleOrbea

Canal Street Tavern - Dayton, OH - Dec. 5, 2008

Postby AndaleOrbea » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:28 am

My Christmas starts tomorrow! Yea! Another Midwestern Road Trip for Elaine and me. Working a 1/2 day tomorrow and driving to Dayton for the first of a 5 show tour through the first of two EP Midwest December Tours :shock: Yep, we get an early start with 8 shows before Christmas. I'm hoping he's been breaking out Little Wood Guitar. And maybe he'll have some Christmas songs for the Family Shows. [insert emoticon of fingers crossed]

I promise to post show reports as soon as possible. There is a lot of driving involved and I don't know what the web service is going to be like at B&B's in Bloomington and St. Louis.

I don't how EP's going to do it - a 9:30 pm (EST) show in Dayton Friday, then a 1:00 pm (CST) show in Bloomington. At least he gets an hour back. Perhaps he starts the journey on Friday - but who knows. Heck... I don't know how we're going to do it - 4-2/3 hour drive and he still has to do a sound check.

Anyway, I'll be keeping you posted.

Best Regards,
Dean

Richard + Jela

Re: Canal Street Tavern - Dayton, OH - Dec. 5, 2008

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:52 am

Gosh - you guys are just brilliant!

Look forward to your reports from the road.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:00 am

Deand and Elaine,

Yee haw! Safe travels! Looking forward to more notes from the road. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:47 am

Go Dusty and Dean...Go! 8)

You too Elaine!

Have fun, be safe out there. Hope all your lil wood guitar wishes come true.

:wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:08 pm

Hey Ya’ll!

Sorry for the late show report(s). I was in deep cover – well more like I forgot to pack my wireless card for the laptop and didn’t try to find an alternate means to post reports on line. So I hope you will please forgive me for not posting sooner. Please don’t take my birthday away…

So much to tell.

Great show last night (written Saturday morning in Dayton). Not much time to post a show report. Steppin’ In It (minus one) opened for Ellis. A band from Michigan. Joe Wilson’s brother didn’t make the trip. Later Joe joined Ellis to play the straight steel, and well, I just don’t know what to call the instrument. I guess it was a guitar steel. (okay, I admit, I didn’t know that the first instrument was called a straight steel, I just tried to take notes). Anyway, he was a fantastic edition to Ellis’ music. The rest of the band joined Ellis later along with Michael Clem from the band ‘Eddie from Ohio’. Mike was really cool and we had a lot of opportunities to talk over the weekend. I’ll just say, please support him, too. He’s a great friend to EP and very funny, too. I hope you will enjoy his music if you get a chance to listen, he has a solo album out there somewhere.

Here are the set lists:

Steppin’ In It

1. Morris and Ella
2. Bessie May
3. Goodbye Betsy Brown (tentative title)
4. 12 String Rag (Eudlay cover song)
5. Triple A (refers to a road in Marquette County, MI)
6. Hitting On All Six
7. Shot in the Dark [?]

They’re great. Check them out if you have time. Perhaps Ellis might tour with them in the Fall 2009.

Ellis:

1. Hurricane Angel
2. Once Upon a Summertime
3. Drive All Night [fka Waking Up to Me]
4. Anna Lee (acoustic)
5. Cotton’s Burning
6. Maria’s Beautiful Mess
7. Alice’s Champagne Palace
8. Take All the Sky You Need
9. Rose Tatoo (new song)
10. Jukebox On My Grave w/Joe on Straight Steel
11. Walking After Midnight/Change w/ Joe and Mike Clem
12. 3,000 Miles w/Steppin’ In It and Mike Clem [aka. the whole band]
***Intermission***
13. Nothing Left to Take
14. Rodeo Clown (new song)
15. Let It Be w/ Joe
16. God’s Promise w/ Joe
17. Speed of Trees
18. Home
19. Calendar Man w/Mike on Bass
20. Blacktop Train w/whole band
21. House of the Rising Sun w/whole band
***Encore***
22. Snow In Austin (solo)

I’m trying to write lyrics for the new songs and will try to get the just of it for a later show report.

Regards,
Dean

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:28 am

Dean,

Thanks for the wonderful reports, replete with setlists! 8)

Just have to say that Steppin' In it are big WoodyFest favorites. At the 2007 WoodyFest, Andy Wilson played the wicked-est harmonica with Ellis on "Hard Travelin" ....and with Rad joining in on accordion, it was over the top! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:08 am

Hey Karen:

I heard Joe talking to a fan about not being a WoodyFest this year. He said they'd been going for a few years, but didn't in 2008. Ellis talked on stage about how he'd played with them in Okemah - it sounded like sometimes were off stage, too - jammin'

They're (EP and the band's) rendition of 'Let It Be' (the jazzed up one) was outrageous. I heard him play it with Flynn in Fort Collins and I can only say the one in Bloomington rivaled that performance. I hope they get more chances to play together soon. And if Steppin' In It comes to your location (anyone reading this) you should go - you will not be disappointed.

Regards,
Dean

monicar

Postby monicar » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:27 am

Oh, Karen, I so remember Andy wailing on that harmonica. There's something about the harmonica (my name in it perhaps?) that I love. Andy is such a beanpole and I always wonder he gets the air to wail like that!

I think it was Antje who said if you're trying to quit smoking, start playing the harmonica. Maybe I should give it a shot!

:D

harMonicaR

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:51 am

Monica,

I agree with Antje! Buy yourself a harmonica! :lol:

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:58 am

I have family set to move to the Dayton area in 2009 so rest assured I'll be on the lookout for Canal Street Tavern shows to pop up on the tour schedule. The venue is kind of on my bucket list of places to see Ellis play...... :)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Return to “3000 Miles”