The Tin Angel - Oct 25, 2008

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

The Tin Angel - Oct 25, 2008

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:43 am

Up against the World Series between the Phillies and the Rays.....with rain in the forecast. Set your Tivos!

This is an early show with a listed start time of 7pm. Though the shows dont start til Ellis gets there I highly recommend arriving as early as possible. Music should start around 715ish with Chris. With another act booked later that night at Tin Angel the show must end by a certain time. Hec, with the first pitch of game 3 set for 830ish you could see Ellis Paul in concert and still see the best part of the game. Go Phillies!!!

Chris O'brien opens...... 8)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: The Tin Angel - Oct 25, 2008

Postby KarenZ » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:28 am

Paddy,

Does this mean you went? If so.....spill the beans! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:12 pm

It was a great show!

...more to come.
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:33 am

The rain postponed Game 3 of the World Series Saturday night allowing fans of baseball and Ellis Paul the chance to see a wonderful night of music inside Tin Angel and see the first pitch shortly after the show ended. We Won!!! :wink:

Arrived early enough to chat with Ellis at the bar and at the time it seemed as though the turnout would be affected by The World Series and the Penn State vs. Ohio State college football game. We talked about how the economy might be having it's way with shows all over. Before we knew it, tho, folks began to pour through the door and the crowd grew to a respectacle half house, around 50 by my count.

Ellis introduced me to friend and fellow artist, Marc Brisson, a guy who looks a lot like Elton John back when Elton was younger and better looking. Marc said he gets the "you look like Elton" all the time. He let me know that Ellis sang vocals on 2 songs of his upcoming release.

Chris O'Brien opened the show accompanied by Austin Nevins on electric guitar. Due to time constraints his set was short on songs but long on talent. Heard a couple of already favorites from his myspace songs in Rosa and Ocean Stone. Met Chris after the show and picked up the new one which he graciously signed for me. What a nice guy. I happened to tune into wxpn 88.5 fm the next night to hear his radio interview on the folk show with Gene Shay. I was impressed all over again with his music and down to earth style. Towards the end of Ellis' set, Chris and Austin accompanied Ellis onstage. He confessed that he had called out Yom Kippur when Ellis was asking for holidays! :wink:

Ellis was 3 songs into his set when he gave Chris O'Brien a shout out saying "how about the opener?" Big applause, then Ellis let us know that Chris had worked as a waiter at Club Passim and had served him Hummus for ten years adding that now every time he sees Chris his mouth waters!!! :lol:

Ellis' fans came through on all singalongs, foot stomps, and hand movements when the songs beckoned them to do so. I was quite impressed all night long. The show had to end by a certain time with another act booked later, so while we may have gotten fewer songs, they were performed as well as I've heard Ellis sing them in a while. He may have forgotten his last show at Tin Angel, but I remember. It was my first time to catch him here. Ellis was battling a cold and could barely talk but somehow managed to sing. :shock: He was great that night for 2 shows and even better this go 'round. It's amazing to me to see how accomplished Ellis is on the piano. Seems to me you give him a keyboard to play that's not moving (think Boston Harbor Booze Cruise :P ) and he's starting to impress on the player front, too. 8)

Got a copy of Ellis' latest: Live from WERS featuring Ellis Paul in interview and live on air performance. Ellis signed it for us with the inscription: Always great to see you! Right back atcha, sir, as always, a real pleasure. :wink:

Tin Angel setlist:

1. The Day that the Levee Broke (on piano)
2. Waking Up to Me
3. Maria's Beautiful Mess
4. Alice's Champagne Palace
5. Once Upon a Summertime (on piano)
6. Anna Lee (unplugged in the audience)
7. Jukebox on my Grave
8. It's Wherever You Are (on piano)
9. Calendar Man (request)
10. Walkin After Midnight/Things Change ----- Patsy Cline/Sam Baker cover
11. 3000 Miles
12. Blacktop Train (unplugged in the audience) -- broke string shows he gave it his all
13. Inside of Me too (?) --- poem while changing string
14. Road Trip (request) -- with excellent hand jive instruction and execution :D
15. The World Ain't Slowing Down -- hopefully a single for country super star Jack Ingram

Encores

16. Take Me Out to the Ballgame -- a few notes on piano
17. Home (on piano)
18. Let it Be -- with Chris O'Brien and Austin Nevins
19. If I Could Catch the Rain (on piano)

Ellis thanked the crowd for coming out when they would probably have rather been somewhere else watching the big game on tv. He had mentioned earlier that if the Red Sox were playing in the World Series that he probably would have cancelled the show!!! :lol:

He sent us all out into the cool of the evening with a smile and this heartfelt cheer:

Go Phillies!
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:09 am

Great report Paddy - thanks. So pleased to read that it was a decent turnout despite the lure of the World Series.

I do think that the credit crunch is having an effect on audience numbers - some places I know of over here have been struggling with low audiences.

We must support live music by getting out there as much as we can - 'if you don't use it, you lose it'

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:15 am

Paddy,

Thanks for the wonderful report! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:19 pm

Thanks Paddy!!! Almost feels like I was there. :D

You Rock!
Dean

Return to “3000 Miles”