Borders/The Depot - Norman, OK - Oct. 4, 2008

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Borders/The Depot - Norman, OK - Oct. 4, 2008

Postby KarenZ » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:29 am

Good mornng from sunny Oklahoma! :)

Somehow I was lucky enough to get two more shows under my belt yesterday. What was supposed to be a 2pm Dragonfly Races meet 'n greet at the Norman Borders store yesterday turned into an 8-song performance! The small but attentive crowd in the Borders cafe was treated to:

the world ain't slowing down (exceptionally well-known in Oklahoma due to it's appearance in an Oklahoma Blood Institute TV and radio ad)
anna lee
jukebox on my grave
bad, bad blood
sweet mistakes
God's promise
she was
waking up to me

One of the best things for me was watching the faces of several young teens sitting front and center who looked absolutely enthralled. Turns out they had their own band and were very familiar with EP's music. One of them had actually requested "bad bad blood" which is why EP played it...but needed much lyrical assistance from the audience. Those moments are really fun for the audience, although I suspect not as much fun for the artist. :)

On to The Depot where Becky and I helped get things set up for the show. The Norman Performing Arts Studio does an incredible job to insure a fabulous experience - from the sound engineer (it was exquisite) to the free potluck goodies, wine, and other beverages. I'm always amazed at the amount of work that the volunteers put into each show. Since the building is a real, live, working train depot, there are lots of preparations - from covering all the windows with long velour panels that have to be shirred onto rods, to setting up tables and chairs, hauling in food and ice, hanging the sponsor banners, etc. I've been there now for quite a few shows, and it feels good to be part of it.

Last night it all came together and flowed into one of those over-the-top shows that happen now and again (not that all of EP's shows aren't over-the-top) ;) ....but I know you all know what I mean. There were some funny moments when a train passed by (which happened probably 4 or 5 times) and EP improvised whatever he was playing then, once the train had passed, continued where he left off. :)

The setlist:

huricane angel (piano)
heaven is where you are (piano) [There was a long improvisation as the 1st train passed by; I'll try to get the song lyrics tonight]
waking up to me
anna lee
jukebox on my grave [Hobo Lullaby interlude during train]
maria's beautiful mess
alice's champagne palace
once upon a summertime
the night Hank Williams came to town (piano)
BREAK
This Train Is Bound for Glory [as another train passed by]
million chameleon march
dragonfly races
angel in manhattan (a request)
God's Promise (a request)
seize the day (a request)
minor key (a request)
Martyr's Lounge (a request)
Let it be (piano)
the world ain't slowing down (a request)
ENCORE:
Home (piano)

I can't believe we get to do this again today! :D

Reporting live from Norman, OK for the EP Channel.... ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

monicar

Re: Borders/The Depot - Norman, OK - Oct. 4, 2008

Postby monicar » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:23 am

Thanks to our correspondent, Ms. Karen Zundel, for some great recaps of the Ellis shows!

Sounds like you are having a blast ... wouldn't expect anything different.

Tell Becky I said hi and have a great time tonight.

Monica R.

Becky

Postby Becky » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:10 pm

Karen and I are relaxing now before heading back over to the Depot to get ready for the family show this afternoon...what an amazing weekend it's been so far! All of us on the Winter Wind committee are just so excited about Ellis being here to open up our 4th season. We're off to a really great start I think! I have to agree with Karen that last night's show was over the top....it was just one of those magical evenings. Many, many thanks to Ellis for coming back to Oklahoma....we love you here!
Becky

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:12 am

Fan-tastic reports from the field....... :)

keep 'em coming........ :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:27 am

Thanks guys and gals! I'll post a report from last night's show a bit later....have to go do a Bewley's first. ;)

20 songs Saturday night and 20 songs last night! :shock:

Reporting almost-live from Norman, Ok for the EP Channel....:)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:13 pm

Thanks Karen, looking forward to it. Again, sounds absolutely FAN-tastic!!! 8)
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:53 am

Folks,

Sorry....had some Internet connectivity problems here yesterday and today I'm traveling home....heading to the airport in a few minutes. Maybe tonight I'll be able to post the report from Sunday night....

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:36 pm

Karen........safe travels home.

Looking forward to the rest of the story......in due time, of course. :wink:
paddy

Ruth

Postby Ruth » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:05 pm

Hey ya'll!
Hows the water, here?

I'm Ruth & an Ellis fan from Oklahoma.

There is a message board at our local newspaper, where I posted that the Depot in Norman, OK, very well may need a whole new roof, as I believe Ellis rocked it plumb off, during the 2 shows I was lucky enough to attend!

That was so much fun & what a great venue, ('cept fer the long, long, long Trains!)
But the improv Ellis comes up with always amazes this Okie! Well Ellis is amazing....

Thanks Karen for the reports! Also, for fixing it that I can visit with you all! (I didnt even know this site was in cyberspace....)

Anyone who has never visited the Depot in Norman, please do yourself a favor & catch an Ellis show there, you wont be sorry!
My toes are still tapping!

I'm happy to be here!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:43 am

Hello Ruth!

I am of the opinion that the water here is just right! :wink:

Thanks for jumping in! :D

Welcome aboard!!!
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:17 am

Ruth! Welcome to the EP board and thanks for chiming in. It was good chatting with you over the weekend. :)

KarenZ
Ruth wrote:Hey ya'll!
Hows the water, here?

I'm Ruth & an Ellis fan from Oklahoma.

There is a message board at our local newspaper, where I posted that the Depot in Norman, OK, very well may need a whole new roof, as I believe Ellis rocked it plumb off, during the 2 shows I was lucky enough to attend!

That was so much fun & what a great venue, ('cept fer the long, long, long Trains!)
But the improv Ellis comes up with always amazes this Okie! Well Ellis is amazing....

Thanks Karen for the reports! Also, for fixing it that I can visit with you all! (I didnt even know this site was in cyberspace....)

Anyone who has never visited the Depot in Norman, please do yourself a favor & catch an Ellis show there, you wont be sorry!
My toes are still tapping!

I'm happy to be here!

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:19 pm

KarenZ wrote:20 songs Saturday night and 20 songs last night! :shock:

KarenZ

After VT, that must have been a breeze for him!! :D

Welcome Ruth!!
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Ruth

Postby Ruth » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:32 pm

Karen, it was so nice seeing you again, too!

So great to be here. Thanks so much everyone for the kind "Hellos", etc!

I did jump into the deep end and will complete the questions soon. I really was about to burst after the shows I attended! So just 'had' to talk Ellis!

I've been listening to every Ellis cd I own. Am so glad I got Dragonfly Races! I just love it, especially "Sunshine", well the entire cd... :mrgreen:

Do any Forum members come to WoodyFest?

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:36 pm

Ruth,

There are several of us who are WoodyFest regulars. :)

KarenZ

emilyg

Postby emilyg » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:10 pm

Karen,
It was SO great seeing you in Norman!! I'm glad I was able to make at least part of a show but wish I could have made the entire weekend! The part I saw was amazing but I know I missed an incredible ending. I hope you all had a safe trip to Okemah and you are home safe and sound now. I hope to see you again soon and I'm hoping he comes back for another children's show so Olivia can enjoy one!!

Becky, you and the gang did an AMAZING job as usual. It was REALLY great seeing you all again as well! Hopefully I can be back on board next season!

Take care and keep in touch,
Emily

Return to “3000 Miles”