All Souls Church/Coffeehouse - Tulsa - Oct. 3, 2008

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

All Souls Church/Coffeehouse - Tulsa - Oct. 3, 2008

Postby KarenZ » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:25 am

Folks,

I'm on a road trip....a road trip....the miles on my frequent flyer card is doing FORWARD flips! :)

I'm writing fromBeckyG''s in Norman, OK. I flew into Tulsa yesterday where Becky picked me up. We had time to browse around a shopping area called Utica Square before meeting friends for dinner then heading the couple blocks to the All Souls Unitarian Church for a special 6:30pm service called "A Thief in the Night" that included music by Ellis Paul. The theme of the church service was "Death". There was a poetry reading, a short video on death, a homily, and other words. Interspersed between those parts of the service Ellis performed:

Conversation with a ghost
lonesome valley
jukebox on mygrave
God's Promise
Let it be

It was truly wonderful....moving....inspirational...in a beautiful sanctuary where folks couldlight a candle to honor persons who have helped or are helping them along this journey called Life.

I now have the first church bulletin for the EP Archive. :)

At the conclusion of the church service we went across the hall to where the "coffeehouse" holds it's performances. It's a big room - holding probably 200 - and since it's a Unitarian church there was the traditonal home-baked goodies, coffee, and other beverages. :) The room was full....so full that the spit seats (and then some) were all taken and we ended up sitting towards the back.

Opening act was Monica Taylor, a well--known singer-songwriter to WoodyFest regulars. Monica formerly performed as half of The Farm Couple with Patrick Williams, but tonight sang solo, accompanied by Don Morris on bass guitar and Jared Tyler on dobro. Monica has a lovely voice and is a true Okie.

Ellis started out on the beautiful Steinway piano with "Hurricane Angel". I think it is safe to say he coveted that piano. ;) We heard a brand-new song - two if you count Anna Lee which I had only heard once before.

The setlist:

hurricane angel (piano)
heaven can't be too far? (also on piano)
maria's beautiful mess
alice's champagne palace
waking up to me
anna lee
take all the sky you need
once upon a summertime
3000 miles
road trip
[song to a sleeping 6-year old named Ben - more on that later]
the world ain't slowing down
blacktop train [unplugged 2 inches from Ben who still did NOT wake up!]
million chameleon march
this land is you land
encore:
if I could catch the rain

I was debating whether to "count" the church service as a show. Three friends were polled who all said "yes" so I'm adding it to the count. :) The next three shows are here in Norman at Becky's venue and I'm here to supply moral support. ;)

More later.... hold down the fort.... :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Re: All Souls Church/Coffeehouse - Tulsa - Oct. 3, 2008

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:52 pm

Thanks for the report Karen - sounds like a great start to your OK road trip.

Enjoy the remaining shows this weekend and we look forward to your posts from those as well. Will you be posting up some pix in due course?

Say hello to Becky and family.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:12 pm

Jela,

Yes, I'll post some pictures when I get home. I got a few last night, although it seemed a little weird taking pictures in church. ;) (I got 2 or 3 without flash.) I should be in a better spot tonight since Becky and I are heading over to The Depot in a bit to get things set up and I'll save myself a front-row seat. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:29 am

Dear Karen:

Thanks for the awesome report! And another new song - cool 8)

Have a ton of fun!
Dean

Return to “3000 Miles”