Eddie's Attic, Atlanta GA, September 5 2008

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

shari

Eddie's Attic, Atlanta GA, September 5 2008

Postby shari » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:54 am

Hi Folks,

The show last night was as high energy as I have ever seen. EP was banned from telling any stories that he's told in the past (an exception was made for Angel in Manhatten which the crows insisted that he tell) so everything was spur of the moment.

I will try to post more later on stories of the evening, but here is the setlist:

Hurricane Angel
Maria's Beautiful Mess
Alice's Champagne Palace
The World Ain't Slowing Down
Let It Be
Three Thousand Miles (strong audience participation!)
Welcome Home to Me
Once Upon a Summertime
Brant's Birthday Song (story later...)
Speed of Trees
Angel in Manhatten (complete with story)
Road Trip
Black Top Train
Calendar Man
Take All the Sky You Need (Brant's Request)
Encore: I Can't Catch the Rain

8)

I should also mention that a husband and wife team named Ellery opened for Ellis last night who were really very good.

More later. Hoping to get to Delonegha (spelling?) tonight...

Shari

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: Eddie's Attic, Atlanta GA, September 5 2008

Postby KarenZ » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:22 am

Shari,

You rock! Safe travels and keep those reports coming! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

mm

Postby mm » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:06 pm

Shari, thanks for the report and hello (long time since we shared a meal!).

I'm so excited that Ellery opened for Ellis. They are indeed wonderful. Tasha's voice is so, so gorgeous with great songs, and her husband Justin is the perfect complement to her talent. I filmed them for my TV show, and they stayed the night here at my house, and I have to say that they are two of the gentlest, kindest people ever. I wish them every success and hope the Ellis community gets to see more of them.

Monica M

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:12 pm

I can't catch the rain, either! :shock: It's been pouring here all day. Spent the better part of the day clearing gutters so they could! Nice to tune in here this afternoon after all that to find a report from Eddie's Attic. 8)

So thanks Shari for being there and reporting in today. It's truly the next best thing to being there. Looking forward to the stories from last night and in addition your report from the Crimson Moon show! 8)

Thanks to both you and Monica M for the heads up on the music of Ellery. Interesting name for a duo, that's for sure. I'll seek them out online and look forward to seeing your interview with them MM...... :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

shari

Postby shari » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:34 pm

Monica: Way too long!!! We should put something together again this year.

We are driving up to Dahlonega now. I have been relegated to the back seat. I can't really follow the discussion up front, so I decided to try updating my post from here.

Justin and Tasha (Ellery) were so sweet. They were really just lovely. Tasha's voice is beautiful. The way that she uses it reminds me somewhat of the Cranberries only softer, more velvety. I recommend seeing them. :-)

EP seemed really relaxed and in his element. The audience was in rare form, hooting and hollering and heckling, it was great. :-)

There was someone named Brant in the audience and it was his 30th birthday. His girlfriend surprised him by picking him up in Nashville, TN and driving down to Eddie's Attic with him for the show. EP did a birthday song for him that was really funny.

There was a great deal of audience participation going on, especially on Three Thousand Miles and people enthusiastically participated on Road Trip.

Looking forward to tonight! Hope we don't get too lost!

:-)

Shari

shari

Postby shari » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:23 am

I heard a wild rumor that EP listened to the recording of this show, liked it alot and was thinking of releasing it in some form. If there is any truth to the rumor and I can exert any influence at all in this matter, I am sending out a big old PLEASE!

Shari

Mtn Gal

Postby Mtn Gal » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:59 am

Shari,

According to Ellis last night in Charlotte, he is, in fact, planning to release that as a live album! :D
"Nobody can dim the light which shines from within." ~ Maya Angelou

DukeO

Postby DukeO » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:43 pm

Hi everyone,

I saw Ellis for the first time at Eddie's Attic Friday night and to say I was blown away is an understatement. I had two friends come up from Pensacola and took me (my wife was sick) to the concert and it was great.

The song about Brants b-day was hilarious :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . I tried to explain parts of it to Kathi (since she didn't get to go), but just couldn't get it done. to ad-lib like that was awesome.

Three thousand miles was cool too. I kept pace most of the way, but Gary kept messing up every third verse. hahaha, good for me :D

Ellery was very good too. Tasha does have a beautiful voice. Very nice also. We talked to her after the concert for about 15 min and she's sweet as can be.

Anyway,

Sorry for the long post, but I was extremely happy I went. Had to tell someone since it would have fallen on deaf ears here at work.

Thank you for the chance to talk,

Duke.

P.s. How come they wouldn't let him tell more stories?

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:02 pm

Duke,

Welcome! Don't ever worry about your posts being too long here.....after all this is a discussion board! :)

Holy moly! Your first show! How exciting for us to hear from a first-timer! :) And I love when first-timers are blown-away! it's only right and fair! :-)

Thanks so much for chiming in and please do come back often. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:16 pm

Duke, welcome to the Ellis Paul Live experience!!! 8) Hopefully your wife is feeling better now and that she's able to attend the next Ellis Paul concert with you and your friends. Really enjoyed your first post here on the board and would like to take this opportunity to welcome and thank you, too! 8) As Karen said, it's always great to hear from newbies.... :D Ask anyone here, they'll tell ya! :wink:

Now that you mention the ban the crowd had in effect on Ellis telling stories they'd heard before...I'm curious, too, as to why. I'm thinking maybe Ellis wanted to try some new stories out on folks, and that he needed help remembering whether the crowd at Eddies' Attic had heard it/them before. Thought about this the other day after Shari mentioned the story ban and these Ellis Paul song lyrics came to mind, immediately.......

"they tell the same forgotten stories, will they fall on forgetful ears?"

:P
paddy

shari

Postby shari » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:11 pm

Duke/Paddy,

Actually, EP said that the he was banned by management at Eddie's Attic from telling the old stories and was only allowed to tell new ones. The crowd overrode that edict when it came to Angel in Manhatten.

Hopefully, this show will be released and then you'll get to hear for yourself!

Shari

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:10 am

Shari, thanks for the clarity on the stories ban in effect at Ellis Paul shows at Eddie Owen's place. :wink:

Usually the artist has the rider that lists demands....interesting to see the club with some of their own..... :lol:

Since Ellis and the Attic go back a ways....I'm sure it's a gentleman's agreement. :P
paddy

shari

Postby shari » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:42 pm

Hi All (or should I say y'all?),

I have been AWOL. :-) Mostly absorbed in my work (all to the good!) and getting used to my life post-child.

I went to see the movie Milk this evening (a must see for sure) and when I got home, a friend called me and said, "Were you at Eddie's Attic in Georgia this summer? And is that you I hear on EP's new CD?" Huh?!? :shock: Yes, I have had my head buried because I *did not know* that a recording of this show was released and now my years long, futile pursuit of a live rendition of the song Saturday has been memorialized for all, thank you Mr. Paul. Apparantly you can hear me yelling out to hear either Here She Is (my first favorite EP song) or Saturday - both to no avail. :oops:

Anyway, it reminded me of everyone and how long it's been since I've posted. I hope that everyone is well.

Shari

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:40 am

Fame at last Shari! We're waiting for that CD to drop through our letter box any day soon.

Seriously though it's nice to have you back on here and if you have time, please join in in the December Fun on the 'Say Something' thread.

Jela

Return to “3000 Miles”