Panzer House Concert August 9, 2008

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

Sue Ellen

Panzer House Concert August 9, 2008

Postby Sue Ellen » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:50 pm

Ellis played to a packed house (literally) at the PANZER'S in Columbia, Maryland in the early evening of August 9, after entertaining munchkins and ankle-biters and their handlers mid-day at JAMMIN' JAVA in Vienna, Virginia. Amazingly talented guitarist DAVE GLASER opened with a five or six song set, and then joined Ellis as sideman for most of Ellis's post-intermission set.

As Ellis took the floor, he stated that he did not have a set-list and asked how folks would feel about simply shouting out adjectives. This suggestion was well-recieved and there were immediate shouts of "Hot," and "Cold," followed quickly by "Medium!" Ellis looked quizzically at the woman who made that suggestion and asked, "Medium?" She replied, "I was being a rebel." Ellis humorously countered, "Medium is never rebellious."

Ellis started with a Patsy Cline cover (Walking after Midnight?) with several verses of Sam Baker's "Things Change" thrown into the middle. Ellis followed his opening song with what I believe is a new song "You won't Believe." As he played the last few notes it became clear that someone had not shut off his cell phone, and eerily Ellis's voice echoed Ellis from the back of the room. Ellis looked quite puzzled and asked "Was that a ring tone?" Someone responded yes, and Ellis queried further "Was that me?" Again, yes, ah, Citizen of the World. Ellis said that that must have been one of the most surreal things that had ever happened to him, hearing himself like that.

Next up was Pinwheel, which was the first time, Ellis informed us, that he had played this song in a concert. Asking for another adjective and hearing "Beautiful" Ellis moved into "Maria's Beautiful Mess," followed by what is either a new tune or a cover, "You're Gone (Poetry's Done Me Wrong?)." Perhaps someone has more information on this. The last verse centers on James' Taylor, with something about Carly leaving on a Harley and probably not singing 'Sweet Baby James.'

When someone said "Haunting," Ellis shared the story about how he was inspired to write "Conversation with a Ghost." After a thirty minute intermission, Ellis started his second set with a poem about yelling at his brother playing for with matches, and when he opened his mouth his mother came out...I have no idea if this was Ellis's or not, but it was very funny.

"Kiss the Sun" and "Speed of Trees" preceeded "Hurt" for which Dave Glaser joined Ellis. It was amazingly breath-taking the way in which Dave Glaser's talent subtly and beautifully complimented Ellis's guitar. Ellis, still taking requests said that someone had requested a drinking song and added under his breath "it was a twelve year old," and launched into "Alice's Champaigne Palace." Next up were "Take All the Sky You Need," "Calendar Man," "Blacktop Train," and "Jukebox on my Grave." I think it was on this tune that Dave Glaser had pulled out a nifty little device that made his playing even more hauntingly beautiful.

Ellis ended the set with "Martyr's Lounge" and "The World Ain't Slowin' Down." Ellis (and Dave) were enthusiastically cheered back for an encore. Ellis said to Dave, "Pay attention to the chords and not to the song you know," and began playing his version of "Let it Be." As Ellis and Dave left the floor, they were called back again. For one, no one wanted the show to end, and for two, Ellis had promised a Woody song. "Way Over Yonder in the Minor Key" ended this tremendous show.

Here's the set-list from the top:

1. Walking After Midnight/Things Change (Patsy Cline/Sam Baker cover)
2. Waking Up to Me
3. Pinwheel
4. Maria's Beautiful Mess
5. You're Gone (?)
6. Conversation with a Ghost

Intermission

7. Kiss the Sun
8. Speed of Trees

With Dave Glaser:

9. Nothing Left to Take
10. Alice's Champaigne Palace
11. Take All the Sky you Need
12. Calendar Man
13. Blacktop Train
14. Martyr's Lounge
15. The World Ain't Slowin' Down

First Encore:
Let it Be

Second Encore:
Way Over Yonder in the Minor Key
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

Richard + Jela

Re: Panzer House Concert August 9, 2008

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:26 pm

Sue Ellen - thanks for the reports - sounds just wonderful.

See you soon

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:20 pm

Thanks for the excellent report, SueEllen! :D WOW! :D I felt the anticipation of what would be called out next followed by what Ellis would play. John Gorka often plays that game with audiences and it's always great fun to see which way it'll go and the song choice to coincide. But John only does it for one song usually whereas you all had many chances to "call the ball." What a great way to mix it up! Pinwheel!!! This audience hit the lotto if you ask me as it's one of many favorites on Dragonfly Races and I've been waitin a long time to see it hit a setlist! The cellphone ringtone sounds like one of those eerie things that happens to Ellis at shows every so often. Hope to catch Ellis down the road with Dave Glaser on guitar. Sounds very cool! 8) Thanks again! See ya'll on the boat.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:11 pm

Sue Ellen,

Terrific report! Now I'm wondering what adjective I might have yelled out. I think nouns might have been easier. ;) (Thinking car.) :)

Oh. I think "you won't believe" must be the song we've been calling "waking up to me". And "hurt" is the one we've been calling "nothing left to take". Not sure about "you're gone". I'm hoping that's yet another new one....or is it possible EP is now covering Hall and Oates? ;)

And to think I could have opted to have been there instead of staying home and mopping floors. :cry:

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Return to “3000 Miles”