West Mountain Inn - Arlington, VT - August 22-24, 2008

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

monicar

Re: West Mountain Inn - Arlington, VT - August 22-24, 2008

Postby monicar » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:53 am

I always like watching you sing, Karen. Can't believe I missed you singing live!!!!! As I said earlier, I sure did miss a lot of good stuff! Next time, I'm staying for the whole deal, even if I have to walk home! :lol:

Monica R.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:31 am

Rachel, can we trade places? :lol: Thanks for that wonderful post!!! Hope to see more, sooner than later! 8)

I was struck by a couple things reading posts on the weekend......likely more but I'll touch on these two.

One is that Ellis performed 3 nights in a row and not one song repeated....that's almost unheard of and it dawns on me that if he played your favorite song whilst you weren't looking then you were just plain out of luck! :P Ellis commenting about those of you keeping track of the setlists cracks me up, too! From the looks of things he was working from a setlist of his own over the weekend, unless it's plain coincidence that he did not repeat one song the whole time. :shock: 8)

Two is the mention of Ellis writing biography songs about real people that will one day appear on an album full of biography songs.....that will be cool. 8) I wonder if he hasn't made a short list of folks he'd like to consider writing songs about....maybe even a long list. :wink: Look forward to hearing these songs as they work their way into Ellis' songbook and then of course on record!

Thanks again, everyone, for sharing the weekend with those of us living vicariously! :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:37 am

Paddy,

I guess you could say Ellis was working from our setlist. ;) Months ago Tim Blixt (weekend organizer) asked us for 4 or 5 EP song requests that he compiled into a list that he gave to Ellis in advance....so as the weekend progressed Ellis gradually went down the request list (similar to last night's Bill Deasy Live By Request show at the Club Cafe!)...and the running joke was that if he repeated any songs he had to pay $20 back to all of us. ;) So he was very careful NOT to repeat anything! :D Some of the old gems that he no longer remembered that well had to be resurrected with help - thus the lyrics binder. At the end of the weekend, he said there were still 18 songs on the request list that he hadn't gotten to. Hopefully we'll get another Friday Night! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:53 am

Thanks for that wonderul story, Karen. :D Ellis' lyric from "Hurricane Angel" comes to mind hearing the caveat of no song repeated over the weekend. "I can't afford, to pay" :lol:

I was so hoping to see your standing request of "This Old Car" appear on the setlist at some point. :wink: I half imagine the fun Ellis could have with that one given what Rachael had to say about crashing Ellis' car in to a wedding party on the way to the Inn. :P Glad to hear, or at least assume that everyone's okay, there! :shock: Imagine the story those folks have to tell their children and g'children, someday! :D

This old car has seen the bridesmaids...... :P

:lol:
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:11 am

How is it that This Old Car did NOT get played!! though I suspect that it never will, because then Karen might be able to say," I've heard it, I don't have to ever go to another Ellis show" .. NOT....

Paddy, I understand you wanting to change places with Rachael but sorry no can do. Ya know what they say... "behind every successful man.. is a woman!!" lol... :D

Seriously, Rachael what a wonderful post, thanks to you for doing everything that helps Ellis and others do what they do best, you said it well.... You are fortunate to have a job that you love and one that loves you back...
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

smileypathvet

Postby smileypathvet » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:18 am

Okay, Rachel, you made me get goosebumps and all teary-eyed :cry:
That was a friggin beautiful post...thanks so much for sharing it with the group. I have loved Ellis and his music for a few years now (not as long as some of you, I know!), and this just reinforces why I do. It is such a community and a family...and you are a wonderful part of that....never go back to the "big" music world, where the small-minded work...you are better off baking bread if you must, but I think you fit with the EP group perfectly. Welcome to the family!
Julie

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:24 am

Julie,

A BIG welcome to you too! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:28 am

Patti,

"This Old Car" didn't get played because it wasn't on the list! I figured there was no point putting The Man on the spot to that degree....causing us both pain and suffering when he screwed it up. ;)

KarenZ
Patti wrote:How is it that This Old Car did NOT get played!! though I suspect that it never will, because then Karen might be able to say," I've heard it, I don't have to ever go to another Ellis show" .. NOT....

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:31 am

Julie

I'd like to "second that emotion"

Welcome to the group! :D
paddy

smileypathvet

Postby smileypathvet » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:24 pm

Thanks, guys! Glad to be a part of things :D
Jules

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:42 pm

Ok. I believe I have calmed down enough to write a coherent review. :D

First, welcome Julie and Sue to the board, and Hi to Gail since I know you're out there too!!

Friday:
This show was a get to know you sort of deal. A shod Ellis sang mostly standards, with a few rarities thrown in. He encouraged people to ask questions about the music as we went along. This sparked some interesting discussions. Religion, faith, divorce, cross dressing street performers. You know, light after dinner chit chat. :P
At the end of the show, people stood and clapped, and Ellis explained that this was not an encore type show. He sings until he can not sing anymore, and that is what he did.
:mrgreen:
Who could ask for more from a performer?

I can not put into words how touched I am by my quilt square. The fact that a stranger would hand craft something in anticipation of meeting me brought me to tears. Thank you again Sue.

Saturday:
We started off with a group BBQ. The folks at the West Mountain Inn sure know how to feed people. MMMmmmmmm.

After a day of getting to know people, things got a little looser. The shoes came off and the "song bible" came out. Showing it off, Ellis announced that Karen is a librarian so everything is alphabetical. Whispering the last word as if it were a naughty one. :P He sang a version of Let It Be that morphed into an ad lib song about what everyone did that day. A group trekked up Mt Equinox. Ellis drove up it. People toured the covered bridges. Ellis drove over a few. Sue Ellen went on a 30 mile run. Ellis slept in. Ellis' conclusion was that we did not understand the concept of vacation and relaxation. Ahhh if he only knew I spent the majority of my day in an Adirondak chair listening to my iPod Shuffle then wandering around talking to the freshly shorn, humiliated looking, alpaca. :P

Ellis shared his love of local hero Norman Rockwell by passing around a print he uses when teaching songwriting.

I share Karen's feelings about 3000 Miles being a high point of the weekend. We knew all the words, and hearing a single voice singing the 3000 Miles portion of the song and a whole room singing the verses was chillingly beautiful.

Towards the end, Ellis said. "See you tomorrow." I wish every show ended that way. :D

After the show, those that could still keep their eyes open, went up to the fire pit for a visit. I saw the fire and made a joke about marshmellows. Next thing I know. I am sitting around a campfire eating s'mores with Ellis singing John Denver songs. :shock: Margaret treated us to a beautiful rendition of Me and Bobby McGee, then we all sang (if you call what I do singing :oops: ) a bunch of songs.

Sunday:

Just a non musical factoid. If you finish your breakfast at the West Mountain Inn, you can order dessert. Yup. Dessert with breakfast. After my Oooey Gooey, I enjoyed an order of chocolate chip pancakes. :oops:

Ellis gave a guitar lesson in the morning. I poked my head in for a bit. Being a non-musician, it sounded a bit like Chinese to me. No, lets make that Klingon. I am pretty sure this is not what was said, but all I heard was.

Bob:
"Gee Ellis, how do you flarn the bliftyorn in Maria's Beautiful Mess?"

Ellis:
"Great question Bob. First I twoern the rigidybip. It is actually A B C D, then I avkrjb the sbrkgb."

Bob:
"I see. That makes perfect sense."

Me:
"Huh? Wha? Did someone say sticky bun?"

:lol:

Sunday's show was excellent as well. Did you have any doubts?
While Rachel's birthday song told of her past. Jazz hands on Broadway. Working for Brittney and baking bread. It also foretold her future in the folk business (an oxymoron according to Ellis). It doesn't look pretty. It involves Ellis with his dentures and Depends using a teleprompter to sing Maria's Beautiful Mess. :shock:

Referring to the song bible, Ellis said the funniest thing. "I am not on MY iPod". Makes perfect sense when you think about it. He writes the songs, but they are not in his everyday thoughts like they are with us. I almost feel bad for him. :?

Our post show campfire got rained out after just a few songs, and a poem from Dean.

I am so glad for the friends and the memories I made this weekend. Thank you to all who shared it with me. Especially those who made it possible.

Bonnie

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:29 pm

Bonnie,

As usual you brought a BIG :D to my face.

Oooh. "Song Bible." I like it. :)

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:34 am

Bonnie, thanks for the post, you really made me laugh... especially the depends and dentures.. but sad thing is, it is probably more true than not :shock:

thmacs

Postby thmacs » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:30 am

Hi to all!! Bonnie I am sitting at work right now laughing out loud that you knew I would be reading this!! I agree with all that has been said about this incredible weekend. The highlight for me though (and I think Julie too?) was Ellis playing and singing "Art of Distance" while we ate dinner Sunday night at the Inn. I also wanted to say Thank you to all of "Team Ellis" and espeically Julie, Sue and Jerry for being so kind and patient with Patrick. Even though we didn't make it quite to the top of Mt. Equinox it still felt like an acheivment because he tried. Take Care!
Gail

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:50 am

Our trip to New England was an absolute delight from beginning to end and it’s going to be virtually impossible to convey the warmth and enjoyment of it all in the written word. Since returning home last week, life has been a bit hectic so I’ve only now find time to post so apologies for the delay.

Where do I start??? We took in 1 Antje show (Boston) 1 open air classical music concert (Camden, Maine) and 5 Ellis shows (Boston Harbour, Stone Mountain and Vermont) during our two weeks in the US as well as travelling and doing touristy bits including the JFK Library, a Georgia O’Keefe exhibition, Acadia National Park and ‘doing a Bewleys’ in Starbucks some days.

Everyone has written so well about the long weekend in Vermont and I can only endorse what has already been said – it was such a special time, sharing our love of Ellis’ music with old friends and new ones, talking, talking, talking and making the most of such a beautiful setting. Amie and her team at the Inn just couldn’t have done more to make our time there so enjoyable. In fact, they seemed to like having us all there so much so that they said they would gladly welcome us back again next year!

I think that I’ll post about some of the many highlights and in no particular order these were:

63 different songs over 3 nights! Wow! There aren’t too many artists who would be brave enough to take that sort of commitment on so all credit to Ellis and even though, as he said, he hadn’t played some of the songs for ten years, he did a wonderful job.

Between Richard and myself we requested (me) King of Seventh Avenue, All My Heroes Were Junkies, Don’t Breathe and (Richard) Words, Chris McCandless and Angel in Manhattan. He played them all, says that he finds it difficult to play ‘Angel’ elegantly in a show as he needs to sit down and it can therefore break the momentum of a show – he did a wonderful version of it especially as he also told the story of Baby Dee, the inspiration for the song.

I just love it when songwriters explain their writing and Ellis, from the first night said that he was happy to answer any questions we had about any of the songs or anything related to them. It was really interesting to listen to the questions posed by the audience. One of my all time favourites is King of Seventh Avenue (hence the request) and I asked what the inspiration for that had been – he told me it was based on a character in a book ‘Emperor of the Air’ by Ethan Canin so that’s gone on my list of books to read.

On Saturday afternoon after we’d been to the local Norman Rockwell exhibit, we dropped Karen and Becky off at their cottage in the grounds and made our way to the main house only to find a few people sitting at the back, in the lounge, which had been converted to the performance space and Ellis working on new songs at the front. We didn’t want to disturb him so we chatted quietly (I hope) at the back but somehow found ourselves with him at the front of the room, talking a little about what he was working on and he asked if we wanted to hear the song he’d just finished…….would we??? It was the one he was referring to as ‘The Hurt’ (also Richard’s choice), which became ‘Nothing Left To Take’ in the clap off later that evening. So there he is, barefooted, sitting sideways over an easy chair, guitar in hand, singing this song to us – if I recall correctly there was just 3 of us listening in Lyn, Richard and I – what a great memory that is.

During the chat about the song title, I asked if he’d ever given a song a title, where the words in the title didn’t feature in the song – there is one so for all you trivia buffs which one is it??? I should have known the answer, as it’s another favourite, which I’ve heard sung live here in the UK.

We had a lazy day on Sunday, attending the guitar workshop, I know absolutely nothing about playing a guitar, but it was interesting to sit in. We also spent a lot of time talking with Arthur Wood who has an encyclopaedic knowledge about music and some great stories. We walked the wildflower trail but not for too long because the mossies came for us with a vengeance!

After Sunday’s show we made it out to the fire pit and enjoyed listening to Ellis and others before running in at 1.30 am when the rain started only to find out the following morning that it only rained for a few minutes and the hardy souls stayed up until 3.00 am – what did we miss?

Breakfast on Monday morning was a lively affair – I seem to recall lots of photos being taken and then it was time to say goodbye.

We stayed on at the Inn an extra night as our flight home from Boston was on Tuesday and let me tell you that it felt very, very strange to be the only ones from the EP weekend, there on Monday – I remember saying to Richard ‘I feel quite bereft’ and we were just like a pair of lost souls that day. PELDS??

So thank you everyone for making it such a special time – I sometimes have to pinch myself when I think about the wonderful people we have met and made friends with through our shared love of Ellis’ work and we look forward to the next get together – Passim at New Year anyone??????

Jela

P.S. Richard will be posting his photos soon

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:21 am

Jela,

Thanks for that wonderful post! :) Glad you and Richard made it home safely and are catching up. You better tell us about seeing Sam Baker over the weekend! :mrgreen:

All my heros are Ellis Paul Devotees. ;)

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:03 am

Great posts by everyone covering the weekend. Thanks for putting into words all of the feelings I couldn't get out!

Looking forward to Richard's pictures and Jela, if you have a link to your article about this year's WoodyFest, I'd love to read it.

Monica R.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:30 pm

Richard's pictures have been posted now - see the link on the 'photograph' forum.

My WoodyFest article is in the current issue of 'Maverick' and I'm trying to get hold of a pdf and permission to post it on the discussion board. As soon as I (hopefully) get it I'll be sure to post about it. Thanks for asking Monica.

Jela

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:26 pm

Jela said " During the chat about the song title, I asked if he’d ever given a song a title, where the words in the title didn’t feature in the song – there is one so for all you trivia buffs which one is it??? I should have known the answer, as it’s another favourite, which I’ve heard sung live here in the UK. "

Hmm... you've got me thinking... great question... wonderful review... and the pictures Richard took ...are absolutely some of the best I've ever seen....

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:46 pm

Karen, what song is Rose in a Cage??? 3rd song 2nd show.. first I thought it was Rattle My Cage... but I see that is listed somewhere else?

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:42 pm

Patti,

"Rose in a Cage" is a song I had only ever heard a couple times....when I've heard it performed in the past Ellis said it wasn't finished and that he planned to write another verse or two.....which I think he did in Vermont. He asked me if if the song was in the Song Bible and I said that I thought it was. Thankfully when I checked later on, it was there....with a new verse that he had penciled in..... but does anyone remember if he actually did a (new) 3rd verse? :oops:

Here's the lyrics from the Song Bible:

Rose in a Cage

You've been living like a rose in a cage
did someone throw the key away?
I've been banging on your door,
day after day,
but you've been living like a rose in a cage

In the garden it's bloomin' time
it's April, and it's ripe on the vine
the daffoldils are holding up signs
"Don't Waste Away Like a Rose in a Cage"

You were born
to bring love into town
this crown of thorns
you're wearin' is only bringing me down
Is it some vow you've sworn?
Is it some battle you wage?
You've been living like a rose in a cage

[another verse still being edited]

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:48 pm

Jela,

I think you should post this in the Trivia forum! :) (I'm still trying to figure out the answer!) :oops:

KarenZ
Richard + Jela wrote:During the chat about the song title, I asked if he’d ever given a song a title, where the words in the title didn’t feature in the song – there is one so for all you trivia buffs which one is it??? I should have known the answer, as it’s another favourite, which I’ve heard sung live here in the UK.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:16 pm

KarenZ wrote:Patti,

"Rose in a Cage" is a song I had only ever heard a couple times....when I've heard it performed in the past Ellis said it wasn't finished and that he planned to write another verse or two.....which I think he did in Vermont. He asked me if if the song was in the Song Bible and I said that I thought it was. Thankfully when I checked later on, it was there....with a new verse that he had penciled in..... but does anyone remember if he actually did a (new) 3rd verse? :oops:

Anyway, I'll attach the lyrics from the Song Bible entry below.

KarenZ

I believe he did the first verse one night, then stopped, said that he'd finish singing it the next night after writing another verse.

I'm not sure though. At my age, the old brain is getting a little ooey gooey. :roll:
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:26 pm

How many setlist-takers does it take....... :lol:

According to MY setlist, he did the song one time, using the Song Bible, on the 2nd night. ;) It was the 2nd time he used the Bible, having used it the 1st time for the song just preceding "Rose in a Cage": "Marc Chagall". On that I am unanimous! :)

Mrs. Slocombe

bonuela wrote:I believe he did the first verse one night, then stopped, said that he'd finish singing it the next night after writing another verse.

I'm not sure though. At my age, the old brain is getting a little ooey gooey. :roll:

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:39 pm

Ahh, but I did not take down a set list this time around. I am relying on my memory. :?

I have a little tidbit that I forgot to share in my review.

Up at the campfire Saturday night he sang Clarity. :shock: :mrgreen:
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:36 pm

'Rose in a Cage' - I wrote down that he sang only part of the song on Friday 22nd (followed by 'Rattle my Cage') and then the 'finished' version on Saturday 23rd, right after 'Marc Chagall'

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:40 pm

I guess I didn't count the "unfinished" song as being setlist worthy. ;)

Like I said...how many setlist-takers does it take.....? hee....hee....hee....

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:43 pm

BTW.....this is why I don't ever want to have to TESTIFY! :mrgreen:

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:53 pm

KarenZ wrote:BTW.....this is why I don't ever want to have to TESTIFY!

This is where the answer " I can neither confirm not deny it" comes in handly

hmm.. Karen there is a message under your message being displayed about putting the lyrics in that say " I don't have permission to look at the attached file"?? or something like that... please can I, I promise to play nice :(

Maybe I have to change a setting or something.. PLUS I have to attempt to sign in several times before I get through???

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:54 pm

okay take that back.. .the link seems to be working now... thank you Song Bible keeper!! :P

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:34 am

Folks,

Amie, Innkeeper Extraordinaire of the West Mountain Inn, posted a blog report of the Ellis Paul weekend! I think she likes us! :)

Folk Music and Friendship

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:20 pm

The 6 CD set of the Vermont concerts given to us last night by Arthur Wood was a great gift and as we had a long drive home today we got the chance to listen to 3 CDs in the car.

It really did bring back the memories and I still have to pinch myself to think that it really happened - it was just such a wonderful time.

Anyway, after Sam Baker's show last night we were talking to him and Arthur mentioned how the three of us had all been at Vermont with Ellis and we showed him the pack of CDs - his immediate reaction was that he wanted to sign Ellis' CDs so we now have an Ellis CD signed by Sam Baker :wink: 'Ellis Paul by Sam Baker'

He's a scream and is now masquerading as Ellis Paul!

Return to “3000 Miles”