New Bedford Whaling Museum - June 6, 2008

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

rimom5

New Bedford Whaling Museum - June 6, 2008

Postby rimom5 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:21 pm

I brought a friend to see Ellis' performance last night at the Whaling Musuem. It was Ellis at his best. He had driven 11 hours from home to arrive in New Bedford (thanks to his neighbor who helped with the dead battery in Ellis' car!) and was upbeat and happy to be there in spite of his long drive. My friend became a new Ellis fan and totally enjoyed his concert.
Highlights: the keyboard balanced on plastic crates, the new parlor guitar that sounded fantastic and Ellis' great stories, especially the Ouiji board story that was followed by "Conversation with a Ghost." It was a fantastic evening. I had tickets for Ellis' show in Haverhill, Ma but am unable to make it; my daughter is going to be attending in my place. :cry: Good for her/bad for me! I'm sure tonight will another fantastic concert. Carol from Seekonk
carol

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: New Bedford Whaling Museum

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:25 pm

Carol,

Thanks for the report. So glad to hear that nothing's changed in the 41 days since I've been to a show! ;)

KarenZ

rimom5 wrote:I brought a friend to see Ellis' performance last night at the Whaling Musuem. It was Ellis at his best.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:09 pm

Carol - thanks for the report.

'Conversation with a Ghost' is one of my all time favourites. The back story is so moving.....and whenever I hear the song it gives me goosebumps.

Jela

rimom5

Postby rimom5 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:03 pm

Hi Jela, After Ellis told us the story he asked us if we were creeped out...and we were--especially after telling us of the old Boston directory he found with his ghost in it. It is a beautiful song -- I always have a hard time trying to pick my favorite Ellis song and I keep changing my mind all the time! My daughter is attending Ellis' concert in Haverhill MA tonight and I am very jealous. I'm waiting for her to report in tomorrow and let me know about it. In fact, I'm looking at the clock right now knowing that she is listening to Ellis. So lucky! carol
carol

rimom5

Postby rimom5 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:07 pm

Hi Karen,

Wow, you must be ready to see Ellis again soon! I have tickets for two more shows this summer. My daughter is 2 months shy of her 21st birthday and can't go on the Boston boat trip--this year anyway. It sounds like it's going to be a fun time. carol
carol

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:37 pm

Carol

Remember Neil Young's song Sugar Mountain? Always loved the idea of a place that wouldn't allow you in once you reached age 20. I believe this was an actual place in Canada that Neil Young was writing about:

Oh, to live on sugar mountain
With the barkers and the colored balloons,
You cant be twenty on sugar mountain
Though youre thinking that youre leaving there too soon,
Youre leaving there too soon.

Your daughter may not be old enough to attend the boat cruise show but to me there's an up side to that, too. :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

rimom5

Postby rimom5 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:49 am

Hi Paddy, I do indeed remember Neil's song. It's amazing for me to see a young lady with one more year of college who has her whole life in front of her and want only the best of everything for her. The young want life to rush by to meet milestones like turning 21 and I want it to slow down and not go by so fast! Carol
carol

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:10 am

Carol

So true! As teens we can't wait for the day we can get our driver's license and then the age we can legally drink or get into bars and the like. If only kids knew how fast it all goes by and how on the flip side of youth one of the many things you wish for include the days when your best days are ahead of you vs. not.

"take a moment and just slow down" Ellis Paul

Hard to believe how fast it all goes by. Seems like y'day we were registering the lil guy for kindergarten and we're lookin at 4th grade in the fall. The doc in the delivery room advised we take alot of pictures bcuz it goes by so fast.

"it all goes, passing by" Alison Sudol

:wink:
paddy

rimom5

Postby rimom5 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:13 pm

Enjoy them Paddy--time is fleeting. I have a 5 year old grandson and 4 month old grandaugher and my mission in life is to spoil them and have a blast with them! carol
carol

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:21 pm

Thanks Carol.....it seems to be rushing by all too fast! :?
paddy

Return to “3000 Miles”