Ellis Paul in Colorado - 4 shows - July '06

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Ellis Paul in Colorado - 4 shows - July '06

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:16 am

Just looking at the tour schedule and see that Ellis has 4 shows coming up in the State of Colorado. I'm not sure all the shows are up in the Rocky Mts. as some of the towns are unfamiliar to me. What I do know is that with New Mexico being a border state, it's possible that Don Conoscenti will be joining Ellis for these shows. One would think and hope anyway.

It occured to me for the first time this morning that John Denver's hit song about his adopted home state of Colorado contained a couple of lyrics also found in another popular song by James Taylor.

"I've seen fire, and I've seen rain" from " Fire and Rain " .....JT

"I've seen it rain and fire in the sky" from " Rocky Mountain High ".....JD

How many times have I sung along to both these fine songs and never
made the connnection? Quite a few! :D

Any stories of trips to Colorado would be great to read. I've been a few times and just love this state. More on that later..........

Anyone else?
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:51 am

I received an e-mail this morning from Darryl Purpose who advises that Ellis Paul had encouraged him to start singing again and had invited him to join him for the Colorado dates so looks like you're gonna get two for the price of one.

Enjoy!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:12 am

Jela, what good news. I had noticed Darryl was listed on EP's tour dates page...

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:26 pm

I have no idea what Darryl Purpose sounds like but have been curious for a long time since his name used to be everywhere. Hope to hear him soon.

DonCon's website speaks of a move from Chicago to New Mexico so Ellis would have to help him move boxes and couches in return for the gigs in Colorado.......is my guess. :lol:

At any rate, hope to hear from some newbies who made any of these shows and find themselves out here on the forum reading all about Ellis Paul and his group of devotees.

Although devos was working for me for a minute there based soley on the fact that KarenZ used to love that old emoticon that the Band DEVO made so famous back in the 80's.

CRACK THAT WHIP :!:

:lol:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:45 pm

Here's a blurb in today's Aspen Times about tonight's show at Steve's Guitars in Carbondale, CO.

The Aspen Times

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:58 pm

Whoa baby, now that's my kinda website. Posting the weather at the top and reading mostly sunny and 63 degrees. Nice find Karen. :shock:
paddy

PeteM

Postby PeteM » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:21 pm

Now I'm wishing we had all arranged to meet in Colorado. I haven't had a chance to get there for about 5 years, and I've got some bad wander lust happening. Not to mention my sister is in Aspen now too. Could have been a good two-fer. Next time.....
Peter

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:42 am

Pete...great idea regarding next time. Although i can't say I wish we'd chosen Colorado over Maine. Simply too much excitement building for this one and it seems to be in most of the attending devotees backyard for the most part.

Summer in Colorado, oh the memories.We used to take summer vacations as a family of 7 by car from Houston, Tx. Seemed like forever to get out of Texas ( still does ) but once we'd hit Las Cruces or Deming New Mexico, I knew we were getting close. It took me a few hours to learn how to say Raton Pass.......Rattin....Rat - ON...Rate - N.....you get the jist.
It was 1964 and I was 5 yrs old and just happy to be seeing some different scenery and cooler temps. Our destination was Colorado Springs and The Broadmoor Hotel. I could hardly believe my eyes the first time I saw the place. Just amazing.

Funny all those years later and hearing for the first time a song by Townes Van Zandt called " Snowing On Raton ". For some reason I instantly connected with the song. Gee, I wonder why? :wink: John Gorka just covered the song on his latest and I can hardly wait to hear it.

Any other Colorado tales? And I agree with PeteM, next time........
paddy

Return to “3000 Miles”