Boston - Aug. 15, 2008 - discussion board gathering

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Boston - Aug. 15, 2008 - discussion board gathering

Postby KarenZ » Wed May 07, 2008 12:42 pm

Folks,

It's come to my attention that several board members representing locations far and wide plan to be in Boston on Aug. 15 for the Rock and Blues Cruise!.....so I'm thinking it might be an ideal time to plan our first official discussion board gathering (the first unofficial gathering having taken place in Aug. 2006 in Ogunquit, ME). ;)

Right now those confirmed to be in attendance are:

Richard and Jela (England!)
BeckyG (Oklahoma!)
ME (Pennsylvania!)
Paddy (Pennsylvania!)
MonicaM (Shrewsbury, MA!)
MonicaR (Somewhere, MA!)
Patti (if she blows off Niagara Falls - Seekonk, MA)
JimmyP (ArloTown, MA) :)
SusanH and Bonnie (Quincy, MA!) Yippee! :)
Ellen aka fairydust
Lyn (aka msmeetngreet - rumored to be true)
Jeff aka PotatoPicker (strong possibility)

Can I add any Bostonites (or surrounding environs east coast to west) to the list? After all....we may not get another Friday Night! ;)

This could be lots of fun considering the show is being billed as Ellis Paul and Band! :o

Here's the link for tickets and other information:

Rock and Blues Cruise

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:45 am, edited 10 times in total.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed May 07, 2008 1:00 pm

Count me in!!! I'll talk to family members in NH and see if they're up for it, too. Sounds like BIG FUN!!! :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed May 07, 2008 1:02 pm

Excellent! :) I'll keep adding names to the list above. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed May 07, 2008 1:20 pm

Got my tix!!! :D It was a breeze online at the link provided.

Great idea by the way...Karen and all. Thanks, as always!!! :)
paddy

mm

Postby mm » Wed May 07, 2008 3:34 pm

well, I had been thinking about getting tickets earlier but now this makes it imperative. However, the LAST several times I was on a boat, the ol' seasickness made itself known...I think that's what Dramamine is for, though!
Excellent that you can come, Karen!!! And the other travelers!

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed May 07, 2008 6:36 pm

This is going to be a blast!! and Paddy - we'll finally get to meet!

Wonder who is going to be in Ellis' Band??? Don Con? Rad?

Must remember to pack the lapel pin.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed May 07, 2008 6:58 pm

Oooh, Jela! Now there's an idea!!! :D

Richard + Jela wrote:Wonder who is going to be in Ellis' Band??? Don Con? Rad?
Must remember to pack the lapel pin.
Jela

Maybe it's time for another lapel pin order? :? They are mandatory attire, you know. ;)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed May 07, 2008 7:24 pm

Love the way you Bugg us about the lapel pins....Melissa Bugg that is!! :)

Jela and those I've yet to meet...looking forward to meeting at last!! 8)

Will Jonathan's "rooftop gang" ride again??? :lol:
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu May 08, 2008 9:28 am

I haven't gotten tix yet, but am planning on doing just that.

Feel better now that I read Monica M is going to take Dramamine. That'll make 2 of us. :lol:

Monica R

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu May 08, 2008 9:36 am

That'll be three of us. ;)

monicar wrote:Feel better now that I read Monica M is going to take Dramamine. That'll make 2 of us. :lol:
Monica R

Yippee for MonicaR! :D

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu May 08, 2008 9:40 am

My cousin and his wife live just outside Boston and are excited to have us up for that weekend and are on the boat for the concert. So that's 4 in our lil party.....2 of whom will be newbies. :D
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu May 08, 2008 9:44 am

Excellent! :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub wrote:My cousin and his wife live just outside Boston and are excited to have us up for that weekend and are on the boat for the concert. So that's 4 in our lil party.....2 of whom will be newbies. :D

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu May 08, 2008 11:06 am

Shari? Are you available for a road trip? :D

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu May 08, 2008 11:12 am

I "hope" to be there... I have plans for Niagra Falls that week. If I can move them up or back a few days I should be back in the Bay State by Friday for the booze cruise. Oops , I mean Rock and Blues cruise. I forget that's what we called them decades ago :)
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu May 08, 2008 11:23 am

Patti, you're cracking me up girl. :-) I hope you can revise your social calendar to join us!

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu May 08, 2008 11:35 am

Patti...small world!!! :shock:

We are hoping to get to Niagra Falls this summer and just last night suggested to my wife that we tie in our Niagra Falls trip to Boston and the booze cruise I mean Rock and Blues Cruise, too..... :lol:

Maybe will see you on both boats??? :D
paddy

mm

Postby mm » Thu May 08, 2008 7:30 pm

Yeah for all who are coming!! Jela and Richard, awesome. Monica R, you and Karen and I will do the Dramamine in style. Karen says there's a non-drowsy formula, but I was wondering too if Dramamine mixes with alcoholic brews!! Just for an academic point, I mean, of course.
Paddy, it'll be good to finally meet you in person.
Excellent.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu May 08, 2008 8:12 pm

We need Wendy to come down from Boothbay too! Wendy, are you out there? :)

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri May 09, 2008 6:04 am

Monica M ...... you and I share more than a first name. I was thinking the same thing re: alcohol!!!!!

Good to know there's non-drowsy Dramamine. I had visions of the 3 of us sound asleep in a corner!!!!

This is going to be FUN!

Monica R.

wendy

Postby wendy » Fri May 09, 2008 6:41 am

Hmmmmm.... I just might be able to make that date (summer commitments come early and often around here) Sounds like it will be a GREAT time!
Let me see what I can do (wish me luck!)
-wendy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri May 09, 2008 7:17 am

Oh Wendy it would be great if we can finally meet! Keeping my fingers and toes crossed. :)

KarenZ

shari

Postby shari » Fri May 09, 2008 3:25 pm

I *cannot* believe that I am going to miss this, but I am going to miss this. Is there an incredibly sad face emoticon?

My family will be in from all corners of the world and my son leaves for college that weekend. The last time that all of my siblings were in one place at one time was (I think) five years ago.

Enjoy everyone! Think of me!!! FULL REPORTS REQUIRED!

:-)

Shari

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri May 09, 2008 3:41 pm

Shari,

Will this do? Boo Hoo!

KarenZ

shari wrote:I *cannot* believe that I am going to miss this, but I am going to miss this. Is there an incredibly sad face emoticon?

shari

Postby shari » Fri May 09, 2008 4:45 pm

Hey!

That kinda looks like me! :-)

Jimmy Pollard

Postby Jimmy Pollard » Fri May 09, 2008 7:03 pm

Hi!

Karen, got your e-mail. Sadly, looks like that's a family reunion weekend for the clan. Most of the clan are Okemah veterans, though. This means that if we can arrange for the Grape Ranch folks to bring that wine slushie machine to the cruise, clan Pollard/Callahan members will morph into lemmings and head to Boston Harbor having sniffed the wine slushies. How soon they'll forget the reunion! If Monicar meets up with my wife and adult children I'm guessing they'll even forget the cruise. Hell, they had sea legs walking around Okemah together!

If Rad's there in the band I may have more leverage for a delayed arrival to the reunion, too.

If there's a precruise assembly in a nearby watering hole let me know and I'll be there.

By the way, Monicam, we heard you on WBZ the night that you were on the Jordan Rich Show. You were great! Great stories!!!!

Hopefully, these family plans, driven by Gen X children, neices and nephews, are subject to change!

Jimmy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri May 09, 2008 10:34 pm

JimmyP,

You are too funny! :D

Hoping for lemmings,
KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Sat May 10, 2008 9:39 am

I was in Okemah???? HA!

I say you have your reunion on the cruise!!!!!

:wink:

Monica R.

mm

Postby mm » Sat May 10, 2008 10:08 am

Let's just have Ellis put in his rider that there needs to be a wine slushy machine on board!
Thanks for the kind words, Jimmy! I'm pleased some people caught it on air!

Sounds like so much fun. Becky, will Vegetable Man be staying home?

Monica M

wendy

Postby wendy » Mon May 12, 2008 7:26 am

Dang! That must be THE weekend for family reunions. I just found out that my husband's family gathering is then too! :( Sorry!

Karen, we WILL meet one of these days, even if I have to travel to PA to do it! :lol:
-wendy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon May 12, 2008 7:34 am

Wendy,

Dang is right! :cry: But I know we *will* meet one of these days! :) Hope you have a wonderful time at the family reunion!

KarenZ

Becky

Postby Becky » Tue May 13, 2008 1:31 pm

Hi, all,
Just had to chime in as I'm super excited to get to be in on this cruise! I can't think of anything nicer than being in a big boat on the water listening to fabulous music. (unless it's sitting out in the Pastures of Plenty in Okemah in July! :D )

Monica, unfortunately Vegetable Man won't be able to be there for this. :cry: He'll have to head back to Boston another time. I'll let him know, though, that he is being thought of. :D

Jimmy, just have to ask...my name before I got married was Callahan...are we related somehow?? :D

Becky

mm

Postby mm » Tue May 13, 2008 1:40 pm

Becky, If you and Jimmy's clan are related, I guess you'll have to then choose between his family reunion and the boat cruise, unless, that is, there is a wine slushie machine on the boat and they all come. :)

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue May 13, 2008 2:31 pm

Lost in translation (again!) 'What's a wine slushy?' I probably can guess but some of my guesses in the past have been way off beam!

It's going to be great fun meeting up with all you guys........am so looking forward to this trip.

Like you Becky, I just love sitting in a field, sun shining and music comin' at me!

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue May 13, 2008 3:23 pm

Small world......Callahan in my family tree, too. The cousin I'm bringing on board the boat.....you'll never guess.....yup, Callahan!!! :D

Bring on the slushy machine!!! :lol:
paddy

emilyg

Postby emilyg » Tue May 13, 2008 5:28 pm

I wish I could join you all but I'll be way too pregnant to travel and be on a boat. I hope to see you all in Okemah though!!! We'll see how much of the heat I'll be able to take! ;) Enjoy the cruise and I hope to hear all about it!

Becky

Postby Becky » Tue May 13, 2008 11:31 pm

Well, this is really cool...now I won't have to decide between a family reunion and the cruise. :D Looking forward to meeting your cousin, Paddy!

Emily, I've missed seeing you! Looking forward to catching up with you at the Woodyfest. :D

Becky

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu May 15, 2008 7:10 am

rock the boat....don't rock the boat, baby
rock the boat...don't tip the slushy machine over

:lol:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu May 15, 2008 8:03 am

Does Dramamine come in an extra-strength formula? ;)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub wrote:rock the boat....don't rock the boat, baby
rock the boat...don't tip the slushy machine over

:lol:

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu May 15, 2008 12:32 pm

Folks,

Susanh e-mailed me that she and Bonnie will be aboard! I hope there's TWO slushy machines! :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu May 15, 2008 12:34 pm

Welcome aboard!!! 8)
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Thu May 15, 2008 12:44 pm

Oh my God!! You guys are gonna have a blast!!

I am green with envy, but will be there in spirit!

Have fun!! :)

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu May 15, 2008 12:53 pm

Should we start a "frozen slushy" fund? :D

In that way, Annie, you could be there in more ways than spirit. :P

Wish you were aboard when we set sail. :wink:
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu May 15, 2008 5:35 pm

I still don't know what a wine slushy is???????

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu May 15, 2008 5:47 pm

Jela,

One more reason to love Wikipedia. ;) Imagine one of these made with wine. Hee....hee....hee....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slushy

KarenZ

Richard + Jela wrote:I still don't know what a wine slushy is???????

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu May 15, 2008 5:53 pm

Now I understand! We will all be going hee, hee, hee with a few of those inside us!

Jela

danaj

Postby danaj » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:30 am

Jela, load up and drive out to the Grape Ranch during Woody Fest this year and try one of those "wine slushys." Guaranteed to turn almost anyone into a lemming to follow the magical slushy machine! lol

You guys have fun, it sounds positively fantastic!
“Life has got a habit of not standing hitched. You got to ride it like you find it. You got to change with it. If a day goes by that don't change some of your old notions for new ones, that is just about like trying to milk a dead cow.” -Woody Guthrie

Jimmy Pollard

Postby Jimmy Pollard » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:11 am

Haven't checked in for a while...

...my wife is Maureen Callahan. I'm sure somewhere a Callahan and kin are lying in a graveyard together somewhere in Ireland. Does the Cruise serve Guinness? And there are a few Irish pubs within walking distance of the pier in case anyone is interested.

I went to Bob Childers memorial get-together at the Blue Door in OKC a few weeks back. The Grape Ranch folks "brought their own." That is, they trucked the wine slushie machine to the Blue Door...wine slushies for all. Fittingly, because brother Bob loved playing at the Ranch.

Maybe one of my two kilted sons will wear their tartan for their visiting Callahan kin! The Cruise looks like a go for us now.

See you all soon in Okemah!

Jimmy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:07 am

All I can say is YEE HAW! :D

KarenZ

Jimmy Pollard wrote:Maybe one of my two kilted sons will wear their tartan for their visiting Callahan kin! The Cruise looks like a go for us now.
Jimmy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:53 am

I have an aversion to the taste of alcohol, and wine is on the top of my must avoid list. I hope this does not get me thrown overboard as a traitor. :shock:

Might there be a fruit slushy option? :D

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:14 am

Bonnie,

If there is, I'll be in line behind you. ;)

KarenZ
bonuela wrote:I have an aversion to the taste of alcohol, and wine is on the top of my must avoid list. I hope this does not get me thrown overboard as a traitor. :shock:

Might there be a fruit slushy option? :D

Return to “3000 Miles”