Boston - Aug. 15, 2008 - discussion board gathering

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: Boston - Aug. 15, 2008 - discussion board gathering

Postby KarenZ » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:36 am

MonicaR,

Bummer.....but if you haven't seen your bro in 10 years, I think you're making the right decision! :) Have fun and I'll see you in Vermont! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:36 am

MonicaM - thanks for sorting all this out - we'll be there for dinner and prefer to eat in the seafood restaurants so either Legals or the Marriott please.

MonicaR - sorry that you can't now make the cruise but do understand why, so have a great birthday celebration for your brother and we'll see you in Vermont.

Jela + Richard

Jimmy Pollard

Postby Jimmy Pollard » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:49 am

AAAAaaaaarrrggghhhhh!!!!MoniCAAAAAAARRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What am I gonna tell my wife???????
What am I gonna tell my daughter??????
What am I gonna tell my son??????????
Monicaaarrrggghhhhh!!!

Can't your younger brother reschedule his birthday to conflict with that chi-chi brie and chablis gig in Vermont????

Monicaaarrgghhhhh!

[Expletives deleted...after all I'm a sensitive New Age kinda guy]

mm

Postby mm » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:16 am

Monica R, I'm so sorry you can't join us, BUT family trumps everything, for sure. You won't regret it. We'll fill you in on details and if you're going to events after that, you'll get all caught up in no time. I'll double my dramamine in honor of you.

As far as the meal before, just let me know who is going so I can place reservations. Bonnie, like you, I will likely be sneaking in to town just in time for the cruise, but we'll see!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:54 am

Folks,

Since it looks like it's going to be a small group for dinner, MonicaM and I decided restaurant reservations aren't necessary. If you want to meet for dinner beforehand, simply be at the wharf at 5:30pm and we'll walk up the street and find a place. :)

See you all soon! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

annieb

Postby annieb » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:52 am

Just wanted to chime in and wish you all Bon Voyage!!

Have a wine slushy for me, and come back with great stories and reviews!!

I will be there in spirit! Have fun!! :)

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:49 am

Thanks for the well wishes Annie...... :)

As to dinner beforehand.....I can't say what time we'll be hitting Boston so I can't commit to anything beyond making sure we are dockside at 7pm for boarding.....for our 3 hour cruise..... :P

Thanks for all efforts, Monica.....see ya'll on the boat.

Fairydust.....there's a photo or two of KarenZ with Ellis and others somewhere on the forum here and I'd say it's a safe bet that most folks will be sitting in and around her table......so my advice is find Karen on the boat and the rest will be easy.

See ya'll on the boat! 8)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:09 pm

Ellen,

Here's a picture of me (green top) and BeckyG (white top) with Ellis (striped shirt) ;) ....so you can recognize us. :)

Paddy, safe travels. See you tomorrow! :)

KarenZ

SusanH

Postby SusanH » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:46 pm

Karen-
I would love to join you all for dinner. I get out of work at 5:00pm...in theory...and will do my best to meet you at the wharf at 5:30pm!
Susan

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:54 pm

Karen, thanks for the "Quick Pic" to help folks, especially Ellen, find you (and hopefully the rest of us) aboard the boat. :)

Safe travels all.....in lieu of seeing everyone at dinner, wish me well in grabbing a meal that's anything but:

Illegal Seafood!!! :shock:

:lol:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:32 pm

Susan,

We'll be on the look-out for you! :)

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:59 am

Have a BLAST everyone!

I'll be there in spirit too, right next to Annie!

:wink:

Monica R.

mm

Postby mm » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:03 am

Monica R,
Enjoy your family!
Good spirits are always welcome being sent along.

fairydust

Postby fairydust » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:08 pm

Hey guys

It was really nice to meet you all..I think I iwas the only one drinking the wine slushies..or was it slosshy..anyway sorry we didnt figure out the seating thing..was not good at that..so I had to keep running over to say hi to you guys..

You are a friendly bunch..finally got home today..have a bit of the headache..

But the band was Rocking the boat was rainy..and all had a great time!!!

Thanks again for all your hospitality. and kindness

Ellen

mm

Postby mm » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:48 pm

Hi All,
It was a really fun night! The music was terrific, as ever, and the band members sounded wonderful, and such nice guys too. Ellis is a fantastic performer in whatever venue.
My friend Maria and I were not able to get seats or even be allowed by the Event Staff in the room (same with Jimmy P and his fam), but we went on the deck when not raining/lightning and below deck otherwise where we had the speaker versions of the concert. We made good of the mingling factor with others in the same situation, and by the middle of the second set, a wonderfully funny couple (Lee and her husband) started off the dancing below deck to Ellis and band. It was a blast with several folks joining in for a number of songs. We loved that part!
It was great to meet Paddy, Jimmy P, and several others that I recognized by face from past shows. Not enough time with my friends Karen and Becky and Bonnie, but next time. Some folks made it after for a nightcap/snack at a local hotel lounge (so great to visit with sweet Jela, Richard, Susan, Lyn, Jimmy's family, Paddy). No seasickness whatsoever!

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:46 pm

I never thought a positive review would ever start with this but......

Ellis really turned my stomach last night. :P
Or at least the venue did. :mrgreen: The boat, the rain and the overcrowding did not agree with me. That will be my last "folk and booze cruise". :(

Ellis put on an excellent show as usual. The band added a really great new energy. The rock versions of Let It Be, Autobiography of a Pistol and Blacktop Train were really exceptional. Quite different and wonderful. I even found myself reverting to my old habit of "head banging" in my chair. Towards the end of the cruise, crowd loosened by grownup beverages, Ellis pulled out Calendar Man.

It was really nice to see so many board members. I'm glad I got to meet Mrs. In the Pub, Pam. Paddy was my hero at the end of the night. Being afraid of heights makes descending those slippery boat ramps extremely nerve wracking. With SusanH in front and Paddy on my arm I made it down with ease. Thanks guys. :mrgreen:

Sorry I couldn't make the after party, I was just so pooped from the whole evening. I also had a comfy pillow top hotel bed calling to me. My sister came for her first Ellis show and grabbed us a hotel room as a special treat. We are both local, but we made it into sister weekend away.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:51 am

Sorry to hear the weather was wet on the SSMinnow the other night. This summer has been crazy with sporadic thunder and lightning storms. That same night it was torrential rain on my street and completly dry 3 streets away!! Beautiful sunny day today, so hopefully you have all dried out by now...So were there any new "interesting" verses to calendar man brought on by the storm??

I'm looking forward to seeing some of you later in the week. I've got Maine on my mind :)
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

msmeetngreet

Postby msmeetngreet » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:51 pm

Hello all you Stalkers...er, uh...I mean ELLIS devotees!! :wink:

Or should I say "AHOY, mateys", after our successful stormtracker adventure on the high seas!! Glad to know the dramamine was at the ready but I went for the other option of grown-up beverages to keep my sea legs under me! No wine slushies on this 3hr cruise (nor did I see GUINNESS) but the FUZZY NAVEL I ordered did wonders for my chair-dancing abilities later on in the evening. :lol:

Great meeting you, Ellen (fairydust)! And you, too, Becky! And for hanging out with MonicaM & her fun friend (who's name escapes me at the moment) @ the Mariott aftershow gettogether, essentially closing the place down as the last of the board members to leave the Long Wharf area.

As always, it was great hanging out with Bonnie & SusanH. and Marla (Bonnie's sister); reconnecting with Karen Z. & PADDY in MY home territory for a change :wink: ; and talking both Richard & Jela's ears off all night long, thanks to that FUZZY NAVEL I mentioned earlier!!!

I think it was a rockin' success combining ELLIS and a FULL BAND and a FULL BAR at this show and hope to keep the tradition alive at the VT shows by encouraging everyone to 'bring your own bottle' (or order one from the hotel bar) and be prepared to join Ellis' back-up band by singing along or playing an improvised instrument at some point in the evening. As the weekend goes on it should make for more & more interesting gig stories, at the very least. :lol:

And all bets are off if there's room to dance & no bouncers to keep us all in our seats (like there was on the boat!) :roll: Monica M. I expect you to show us how it's done - if you make it up for any of the shows, that is!!

Would have been a perfect venue if we'd had calm seas & a blazing sunset vs a lightning show & gale-force winds & downpours that night, but we had great seats, thanks to Karen's foresight & Richard & Jela's fleet feet!

One quick highlight of the evening that no one else has mentioned yet: ELLIS encouraged us to have a NAME THE BAND contest for them as he personally kept referring to them as "the band that kept playing while the TITANIC sank"...or some such nonsense!! And this group came up with several good ones - come on, fess up if you remember what you yelled out!!

Mine was "THE CHOWDERheads" cuz Ellis is from Maine where they grow the potatoes, they were playing in Boston where they get the clams, and chowder always warms you up & tastes best on a cold rainy night, which it definitely was.

Other highlights were a couple of new songs Ellis shared with us, along with official word that he's started working on his next album but no official release date mentioned yet. Check youtube for some video clips to be posted, hopefully, over the next few days from the gig. You'll notice the lighting is rather 'cozy' to say the least!! But much fun was had by all and if Ellis does do another boozecruise - they'll definitely need a BIGGER BOAT for it!! That's how good it was.

Hopefully, Jela and/or Karen will post their set-lists soon & we can start nick-naming the new songs to keep them straight. Loved the new level of piano-playing, too. Was it my imagination or has he actually started using some of the black keys now?? :twisted: :!: :?:

Sorry! I couldn't resist!! Next stop: VERMONT or BUST!!! Enjoy the benefit show in Maine on Thursday night, those of you who are going!!! It's a beautiful venue & looks to be an awesome line-up of musicians for a very good cause.

And thanks again to those who encouraged me to talk about my PERU ROCKS trek to PERU coming up in October. I'll post my BLOG's webaddress here once it's up & running.

Lyn aka Ms. Meet'n'Greet
aka 'a girl from Boston' :P
Thanks for your help getting me & the musicians to PERU! The benefit concerts @ MACHU PICCHU & LIMA are gonna ROCK!!!
for more info go to: http://www.perurocks.org/trekkers/lyn-nelson

annieb

Postby annieb » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:23 am

Thanks for the reviews everybody!!

Sorry the weather wasn't cooperating. :(

I love the group photo!!

I hated missing this, but look forward to Charlotte!!

I am bringing some first timers!! Gotta Spread the News!! :)

Annie

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:47 pm

msmeetngreet wrote:One quick highlight of the evening that no one else has mentioned yet: ELLIS encouraged us to have a NAME THE BAND contest for them as he personally kept referring to them as "the band that kept playing while the TITANIC sank"...or some such nonsense!! And this group came up with several good ones - come on, fess up if you remember what you yelled out!!

Mine was "THE CHOWDERheads" cuz Ellis is from Maine where they grow the potatoes, they were playing in Boston where they get the clams, and chowder always warms you up & tastes best on a cold rainy night, which it definitely was.

My choice is Ellis and the Deckhands. :mrgreen:
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:59 am

Greetings from the SS Ellis Island Insight or should I say: Ellis, Is Land In Sight? :P

A fun time was had aboard the Rock and Blues Cruise as Ellis and the band held sway (pun intended!) through a rain-soaked and lightening-filled night in Boston Harbor. The guys in the band wowed as they rocked Ellis Paul tunes to new and exciting heights throughout the show. To learn they had only one rehearsal under their belt (that afternoon) impressed all the more. Way to go, guys! Let's do it again! 8)

Early on Ellis looked like the leaning tower of Pisa when the boat suddenly dipped and he counter balanced to stay on his feet. He took it in stride and laughed at the notion of having to react so quickly to stay on his feet. Later on, as Ellis went to strike the last chord on his keyboard he had to laugh again as the chords had shifted (literally!!!) from beneath his fingers! :lol:

As the boat left the dock, Ellis took the stage for the first time and immediately told the crowd that they should head outside for the view of the skyline saying it was really beautiful out there tonight. Not sure anyone took Ellis' advice as seating was at a premium. Somehow we managed to arrive just in time to score the only seats left in the house, front row center. :P Once we learned event staff were going to allow chairs up front i knew we'd be just fine. We had a good laugh at how I held tight the territory and sent my cousin (at his first Ellis show ever) for chairs. I'll never live it down: 2 more chairs, we need 2 more chairs! :lol:

Ellis mentioned the song played by the dance band on the Titanic (leave it to Ellis to slip in a Harry Chapin song reference. :wink: ) Talk about an icebreaker, as soon as Ellis began he had to stop as a commercial jet took off from nearby Logan Int'l airport forcing Ellis to stop and start again. Ellis later told the crowd that Kristian Bush of Sugarland was set to produce the new record due hopefully late fall. I got a chance to chat with Ellis backstage (the bow of the boat) afterwards where I told him he had to do the band thing again! He said that he loved rockin out with them but can't afford to take them on the road. He said the fundraising thing was going well (better than expected) and that he might be able to swing a few months out on the road with the band! How cool would that be? 8) :D

There were times throughout the night I forgot I was on a boat.....the music taking all attention. Once I looked to my right, out the window to see another well lit party boat flying past us like we were sitting still and laughed to myself at the thought of being on a boat in the middle of Boston Harbor rocking out with the Ellis Paul Band!!! I was lucky enough to step outside the Chart House around 630p to hear Ellis and the band soundchecking "Autobiography of a Pistol" and knew we were in for a great night. When Ellis announced at concert's end they were going to do 2 more songs, I realized they had yet to play it. With requests flying all night.....I finally asked for one. With Ellis a few feet away, I asked him if they were going to play Pistol and he said "oh....you want to hear that one?" Okay! He turned to the guys and let em know what was next. Without missing a beat, they rocked the boat, yet again, with a fierce passion and over the top version of the song. Those guys are amazing! It was a full circle moment for me, as I told Ellis after the show, since the first time we saw him live ALL those years ago was when he took the mainstage at Kerrville with a full band at the time Autobiography of a Pistol was brand new! 8)

For the record.....my cousin and his wife loved the show. Highlights for him were Jukebox on my Grave, which I'm told he personally told Ellis at the break needs to be recorded by a big name and out there on the radio. As well the fact that Ellis was playing some "you've got to be kidding me" Patsy Cline with his rendition of Walkin after Midnight. I told my cousin next time around Ellis needs an extra microphone on stage for all the singing along he was doing. :P They have Tupelo in Londonderry, NH in their sights with the added bonus of seeing Sugarland the night before! 8)

Also of note, Ellis said at the start of one song (forget now which one :oops: ) that Jack Ingram was set to record it! :D Additional highlights were watching Ellis go electric framed by a window revealing periodic lightening strikes and Ellis Paul fans dancing out on the bow....... 8)

When Dylan went electric, fans booed. :shock:
When Ellis went electric, fans boozed! :P

I kept looking out for a wine slushy machine all night. If it was onboard it was well hidden! :lol:

It was great to look around the boat and see all the familiar faces. There was KarenZ alongside BeckyG (the photo here helped), Bonnie, Lyn, SusanH, and omg, Jela!!! Finally got to meet Richard and Jela (what a sweet heart), MonicaM (we meet at last!), Jimmy P (at night's end) and finally Ellen aka fairydust, who treated me like a rock star (thank you very much) insisting we take a picture together. Hope it turned out! :)

Nice to see all of you again....and meet others for the first time. It was great talking "trek" with Lyn, decked out in her "patagonia style" pants and shoes all set to hike Peru for a good cause. And Jela, my word you touched my heart when you handed me a signed copy of Mark Erelli's new one. I know you are a huge fan, supporter, and one of many "barn raisers" for the project and for you to "hand deliver" your last copy of "Delivered" to me meant the world to me. Thanks, again! :wink: I'd a loved to spend more time with you guys before and after the show...hopefully next time.

Ellis laughed at the sight of us folkies sitting down for a booze cruise saying he'd never seen it before, even going as far as welocming everyone back after the break to the "Folk and Blues Cruise" and encouraged all aboard to frequent the bar saying it would help him get booked again. Safe to say with the rockin good time we had aboard that this ship will set sail again. Name for the band........that's too easy:

BostonEParty!!!
paddy

msmeetngreet

Postby msmeetngreet » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:36 pm

Awesome review of the Folk'n'Booze Cruise, Paddy! You're as chatty as me once you get going - but it's always fun to hear the interesting bitz I missed the first time around - so keep it up!

Trying to remember the song to be covered by the country artist...but can't remember if it's SUMMERTIME or one from the last album? Or, not!

I'd love to hear WILLY do JUKEBOX ON MY GRAVE...or even KEITH URBAN or TOBY KEITH. Someone who can give the lyrics the right twist and appreciate the humor in general, ya know?

BOSTON E-Party!!! I get it!!! :lol: :roll:
Perfect waterfront connexions & all!

Glad your friends/family had such a good experience - not that I'm surprised as most everyone I introduce to Ellis' music becomes a fan & finally understands why we need our monthly fix of front row seats at a local live show (or as many as we can reasonably get to within a 3-state radius) 8) .

Looking forward to *sharing* front row seats with you again soon!

Lyn
Thanks for your help getting me & the musicians to PERU! The benefit concerts @ MACHU PICCHU & LIMA are gonna ROCK!!!

for more info go to: http://www.perurocks.org/trekkers/lyn-nelson

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:51 pm

Thanks Lyn, hopefully sharing the front row sooner than later! :)

My first attempt at Ellis Island Insight, a few days ago, fell overboard via computer ghost! :shock: :roll:

It was then I felt the effects of being on the booze cruise the most. I almost jumped in after it but decided instead to live and let live and after a few days rest and enough bewleys, gave it another shot! :D

The tune country rocker Jack Ingram will record soon is one of the big songs like The World Ain't Slowin Down. And yes.....Willie Nelson covering Jukebox on my Grave would be cool. Especially live in concert, where Willie could change the names of the music in the jukebox on his grave. 8)

I struggled with whether I should share my name for the band with ya'll. :lol:

I ran it past Ellis after the show....he seemed to like it! :P

Setlist for the show? I could toss out most songs played in no particular....but will wait and see. :wink:
paddy

mm

Postby mm » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:31 pm

It's great to hear your reviews. My friend and I were wishing we could have gotten into the room with the concert. We made it into really good times with the folks we met and so much fun dancing below board, and the music through the speakers, but in a way, I feel like I experienced the concert from a distance and through your guys reviews. So maybe that's an issue to be taken up with the boat company. But I'll certainly be there at the next EP show I can make!
How great to see everyone, even briefly, and I hope to see you all sooner rather than later. Hope all have had safe travels.
Paddy, I feel like we never had more than a brief hello, but so good to meet you!
Richard, thanks for the camera tips and Jela, you totally didn't need to leave $5 for your cup of tea....had I known, I never would have let you!
Monica :)
Last edited by mm on Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:27 pm

Monica,

Could not agree more, and have to say your posts on where you were able to enjoy the concert, while making sweet lemonade out of lemons had me thinking the same thing about the lay of the land on the boat. When Ellis mentioned only folkies would sit on a booze cruise, I got to thinking maybe he's right. While I enjoyed sitting up close and personal, I would have happily stood for hours if it would have allowed those who couldn't see the show a chance to see it.

Seems with so many chairs set up on the stage level of the boat there is less standing room and if we played a part in anyone missing the show....:oops: When we boarded the boat i was surprised a) how packed it was and b) how small the venue area was. I feel your pain and am onboard with any suggestions for the next one. Like no chairs save the permanent booth type seats allowing more fans sightlines to the stage.

I recall you wishing Ellis good luck just as he was taking the stage. :) Little did I know you were without a seat for the show, much less even SRO to see the show. Shame about it.....really is. :( Next time you are without a decent seat come find me.....I'm always good for....2 more chairs! :wink:

I did see you guys down below when it was beer run time, but I guess i thought you guys were just taking a breather down there. I remember thinking patrons would benefit from having a close caption monitor at the bar to see the band play as well as hear them. :roll:
paddy

mm

Postby mm » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:13 pm

Paddy, that is so sweet of you, and I sure don't mean to have been a whiner in that post. I've been deeply privileged to have been present in so many different ways at different shows and did love being here.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:26 pm

Monica...honestly, it didnt read whiny at all....it was eye opening when i read your post and did the math.... :shock: I recall one of the event staff guys (in yellow shirts) saying they were not used to having 200 people aboard the boat all wanting chairs. It didn't hit me then that there would be folks forced to take in the show elsewhere on the boat....and for that I feel bad for you guys. Nah....I think it's good to vent in a squeaky wheel gets the grease kind of way. I'd a done the same thing here if the fin was on the other foot! :wink:

Can we have a re-do? :D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:00 pm

Been looking around the web for reports from the boozecruise.

Ben Spark was on the boat and mentions the lack of chairs.... :?

Boston at Night
http://www.benspark.com/pad-1225.html

Next BostonEParty whatdya say we toss the chairs overboard! :D
paddy

fairydust

Postby fairydust » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:18 pm

Hey I did not know you guys were at the Marriot afterwards, me and my friend Cindy went in there to gobble down some food after the long ride without dinner..did not make the dinner in time, and at that time, dont even know if I saw you guys there..hope you did not think I snubbed you??

Paddy in the Pub you did a great review.. From all I heard about you from Annie B, you are a rock star..

When he opened with Maria's beautiful Mess..my friend Cindy said that the first time she heard the song, she cried..how sweet..and as far as Mark Erelli goes, anyone wanting to go to a show to see him I am there, just let me know.

I will be back in the area in mid September

Hopefully see you in September..

Ellen

Too many wine slushies
:shock: :shock: :shock:

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:09 pm

Ellen, thanks for the kind words and rock star treatment...... 8)

The after party thing at the hotel, no snub at all. I saw MonicaM walking away from the bar at one point and thought they were meeting elsewhere maybe. Turns out they were all on the other side of the lounge and I only briefly got to visit with them before the hour demanded our departures.

Jela, you and Richard stopped by just as I was about to make a dash for the parking garage and the CD I had for you but left in the car. Thanks for stopping by our table to bid farewell and I'll get that music to you in due time. :wink: How far is Vermont? :P

Finally..all this talk about wine slushies. Where was the machine, anyway? I looked, honest I did! :lol:
paddy

Return to “3000 Miles”