Bull Run Restaurant - Shirley, MA - Aug. 4, 2006

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Bull Run Restaurant - Shirley, MA - Aug. 4, 2006

Postby KarenZ » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:34 pm

Hmm....the wheels are turning....I land in Manchester, NH at 7:30pm on Aug. 4 on my way to Ogunquit.....but Shirley, MA is only an hour away....and Antje Duvekot is opening the 8pm show...which means if I drove from the airport to Bull Run, there's no way I would get there in time for Antje, but I could possibly make it in time for Ellis' set.....assuming my flight is on time and there's no delay picking up a rental car.....should I do it? Anyone else going to the Bull Run show? Oh man...this is really tempting....

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:42 pm

I think you should do it. Why you ask? Because I will be running from the airport the next day. What? Huh? Oh, yes, Lauren has convinced me to go to Ogunquit!! :D

Maybe I should go post this in the correct thread? :lol:
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:33 pm

:twisted:
MWAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!
:twisted:

I love being an evil influence...

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:48 pm

Oh, and by the by, Karen - while I was (and am) sorely tempted to go to the Shirley, MA show, I will be squirreled away on one of the Calendar Islands, camping out, eating lobstah and playing bocce ball.

Pop question: who knows where the Calendar Islands are located? (Wendy and Jeff can't answer, though Karen and Sue Ellen probably shouldn't either...) Or how they got their name...?

~L~

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:42 am

Bonnie!

WOOT! :D

KarenZ
bonuela wrote:I think you should do it. Why you ask? Because I will be running from the airport the next day. What? Huh? Oh, yes, Lauren has convinced me to go to Ogunquit!! :D

Maybe I should go post this in the correct thread? :lol:
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:47 am

I'm geographically challenged. :oops:

KarenZ

Lauren wrote:Pop question: who knows where the Calendar Islands are located? (Wendy and Jeff can't answer, though Karen and Sue Ellen probably shouldn't either...) Or how they got their name...?

~L~

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:59 pm

My mom said she might get us tickets but my college roommate wants me to go visit her in Saratoga... decisions decisions.
-Katie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:05 am

Just lookin at the website for Bull Run in Shirley Mass and I'd forgotten that Antje is set to open for Ellis.......hmmn........maybe. :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:02 am

It's still a "maybe" for me too.....I won't decide until I actually land in Manchester....we'll see.... :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:17 am

Jalapenos wrote:My mom said she might get us tickets but my college roommate wants me to go visit her in Saratoga... decisions decisions.

"...decide, decide, decide..."

by Ellis Paul from Speed of Trees

I think.

Jalapenos,

" You got some deciding to do "

Of course, Mike does too. :wink:
paddy

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:59 pm

haha, good quote
-Katie

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:23 pm

*giggle chuckle snort*
:lol:
~L~

care

me me me!

Postby care » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:12 pm

i'm going! i'm going! i went to school out that way and my boyfriend and i will be going to the show. KarenZ you should go- they have really good food there too.

doooo it.!!

care

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:55 am

First show I ever went to at the Bull Run was a Tom Rush show - went with a friend on an evening that turne dfrom a couple pals out into a date - ended up being seated on stage left (yes, on the stage) which was very cool !

Trying to see if I can fit a return to the Bull Run into my agenda.
Jeff

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:00 pm

I bought tickets! I didn't really want dinner seating but I assume it will be closer so I guess we're eating there.

It would be pretty cool to meet the legendary KarenZ :wink:
-Katie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:34 am

Who's in for Bull Run?
Any chance this show sells out before the fence posters like me decide?

So Far I count:

Jalapenos - has tix
Care - has tix
Jeff - has memory of tix
Karen - has hopes of tix - depends on what time she hears " ding " :wink:
Paddy - has to decide, decide, decide.... and hopes to have tix.
What's everybody in attendance gonna do to " Rep - re - sent "
In other words - EP pins - or - black/white attire....or ???
If you're in for this, let us know somehow. 8) :wink:
paddy

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:16 pm

Black and white sounds fancy! I'll try to remember my pin. It's on my school bag right now.
-Katie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:40 pm

I'm guessing shoes are required for both venues this weekend!

For audience members and diners anyway..... :lol:

Ellis and Antje and Flynn likely have options. :P
paddy

care

Postby care » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:09 pm

i don't have a pin =(

it would be fun to meet everyone though.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:13 pm

care - ditto - don't have mine yet either - no worries, Ellis is likely to have some set up for sale at merch....otherwise, how might we recognise you and your party. If there, I'll be the one that looks like paddyinthepub. :lol:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:26 pm

I (not Ellis) have the lapel pins and as I said in another post, I plan on bringing them this weekend. I will definitely be in Ogunquit but am not sure if I'll be at Bull Run.

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:52 pm

oops. sorry Karen...remember seeing a photo recently with Ellis at the merch table of a show and the box of EP lapel pins sitting on the table. I just assumed he was carrying them with him, now I see that it was the shutterbug who snapped the photo that had brought them along.

As to Bull Run, hope you have the chance to make it. If so, a nice prequel to Ogunquit. Safe travels either way. And thanks for the heads up on the pins in case you don't make Friday Night's show in Shirley, Mass; A short 35 mile drive I believe from Manchester, NH...but no pressure... :wink:

Really, If you don't show, we'll know why, and the rest of us have the opportunity to take a run at your record of nearly 175 shows.

Again, we'll understand. :P
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

care

tonight!!

Postby care » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:28 am

so what is the final count for tonite????? can we do a group meet? how will i know who is who? how will you know i'm me??:?: see you all tonite
karen if you DO end up coming i'd be interested in a pin.
how exciting.
can't wait.

care

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:31 am

If I make it to Bull Run, I'll be wearing beige jeans, black top, black jacket, black sandals....sporting a small b&w ep lapel pin. :)

KarenZ

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:37 am

And talking on her cell phone to Sue Ellen, to relieve the tedium of the Jersey Turnpike. :lol:
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:40 am

It's a deal. Hands-free headset of course. Do I have to watch out for armadillos in New hampshire, do 'ya think? Oh...now I remember....MOOSE. :lol:

KarenZ

care

Postby care » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:45 am

the occasional squirrel but not so much an armadillo.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:36 pm

Hey guys and gals going to the show at Bull Run tonight. Gonna do my best to make Shirley Mass. by showtime. Hope to see some of you there.
So that's an I'm in and no ticket. Anyone know if advance is recommended? I'm wondering if Ellis and Antje( with Boston Globe writeup)
are likely to sell it out tonight.

Won't be wearing ep lapel pin cuz I don't have one. I'll recognize Jalapenos and KarenZ if she's able. What will I be wearing?

A big ol.... :D

Til then....... :wink:
paddy

care

Postby care » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:54 pm

i'll have on jeans and a tank top with a gray hooded shirt over it...
pst. i have REALLY red hair.
check me out!
hope to meet some of you there!

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:02 pm

I'm picturing a room full of people eying each other trying to figure out who's who. Haha. Haven't decided what I'm wearing yet but you can refer to
<<this photo, and look for my mom and I. Supposedly we look like sisters but she has brown hair. :D See everyone there!
-Katie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:07 am

katie and care..made it to bedford nh..missed shirley, mass. :cry:

Hope you girls enjoyed the show and we'll see ya on down the road.

Ogunquit or bust.... :D
paddy

sarshik

Postby sarshik » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:54 pm

For those of you who missed the Bull Run show, just wanted to say how great it was. While I've seen Ellis too many times to keep track, it was my first time seeing Antje, and she was terrific! I definitely appreciate Ellis' solo shows much more than his band shows, or more scripted CD release shows. It was exciting to be able to purchase the "Live at Club Passim" CD, which Ellis played many of the songs from. It was one of the first Ellis shows I saw with no "Conversation with a Ghost"; reminded me of the first time I saw Eric Andersen w/o him playing "Thirsty Boots" after seeing him so many time since the early 70's. You just assume the original, well-known "hit" song will be there, and then you realize Ellis has so much fabulous material, that either he's bored of it or just in a different place. Same feeling with no "Last Call" or "Here She is". I wasn't disappointed not to hear "Ghost" as it was the first song that turned me on to Ellis' music, but just an epiphany moment. Happy trails Ellis and Antje, and thanks for the music! Carol, Acton, MA

care

bull run

Postby care » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:18 pm

concert was great and i took a TON of pictures.
tomorrow or monday i'll post the set list and a link to the pics for anyone who is interested.
:)
care

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:50 pm

I have 5-10 pictures but Caroline had a big fancy camera so I'm excited to see hers! I'll get mine up here soon.
The people at my table had never seen Ellis before. They came for Antje and two left before Ellis and the other three left during Ellis! They couldn't believe that I've been to six shows in the last year. I think they thought I was a nut. Maybe I am :P
Good show, as always.
-Katie

Cynthia Bazinet

Thank you, Ellis.

Postby Cynthia Bazinet » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:17 pm

I also posted this on your blog in hopes that you'll see it somewhere....

Thank you for being so gracious when I and the kids accosted you in the parking lot of the Bull Run in Shirley.

As their 8th grade English teacher several years ago, I used McCandless as part of a unit on the ballad in songwriting & poetry. The kids grew to really love that song (even going so far as to create their own homage poems in the style) and begged me all the time to play it.

Fast forward to last night. They've gone onto high school, and I teach English in a high school in a different town. They're in 11th grade now but still remember those 8th-grade days at Shirley Middle School like they happened yesterday. They told me they were hoping I'd show up at the show, so when they saw me pull in and get out of my car, it was such a nice surprise for all of us. They're so grown up.....

I'll not likely see those kids again, as our paths are not likely to cross. Thank you so much for making the night so memorable and for providing me, apparently, with such a wonderful opportunity to make a lasting impression on some kids. Who knew?

I'm hopeful that I'll get a chance to use more of your lyrics/music in class at the high school level. I'm working on an angle for the Tillman piece in the Peace Studies elective I'm teaching to seniors this year.....

Sincerely,

Cynthia G. Bazinet
English Department
Auburn High School

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:15 pm

Cynthia,
What a great story behind the request!
Teaching is a noble profession, if I can say so myself :P
Last edited by Jalapenos on Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Katie

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:00 am

Here's the teaser. The rest are coming later, when I'm not falling asleep on my keyboard.
-Katie

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:02 pm

all my photos are posted in the photograph forum!
-Katie

Return to “3000 Miles”