Schubas Family Show, Chicago, IL April 6, 2008

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

AndaleOrbea

Schubas Family Show, Chicago, IL April 6, 2008

Postby AndaleOrbea » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:57 pm

Dear Friends:

I'm already waiting for the next EP show we can attend. But we made it home from another fantastic road trip seeing Ellis play. He was really great with the children today. He was so nice to Elaine's colleague's kids, Emily and Abigail, and he got to hold Elaine's brother Tom and Gayle's new 3 month old baby girl (born on New Years Eve 2007). We had so much fun. And this time we got there plenty early so Ellis couldn't tell us we were late. LOL

The show was floor seating - and I mean floor seating - no chairs. There must have been 100 in attendance and 1/2 were children.

And yes, this show was recorded too, so I have two disks to send to the Ellis Paul Archives this week! I'll be sending them in the same envelope to HQ!

Here's the setlist for this afternoon's 3 pm show:

1. The Cat Came Back
2. Wabi Sabi
3. Because Its There
4. Road Trip - Ellis got the kids to do the hand signals while we in the back were acting out the song complete with alligator, running, climbing etc. hand signals.
5. The Dragonfly Races
6. This Land Is Your Land
7. I Like to Swing
8. Million Chameleon March
9. I've Been Workin' On the Railroad/She'll Be Commin' 'Round the Mountain Medley.
10. If I Had a Hammer (a cappella - Pete Seeger cover)
11. Going to the Zoo (Tom Paxton cover)
12. Froggy Went A Courtin'
13. Little Red Rose (a cappella Encore)

All in attendance had a good time singing along with Ellis.

It was funny, Ellis comment during the second or third song that he'd just put somebody's child to sleep - he said he'd never gotten anyone to get to sleep so fast. Of course Elaine's niece was not too far behind.

During Road Trip, he commented that he'd finally got the top down on the convertible driving down Lake Shore Drive. He'd been referring to it as a Pimp Mobile (but not during the family show). I took two pictures with my camera phone and I'll have to figure out how to post the picture to the discussion board. Something I haven't learned to do yet.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. If something more comes to mind, I'll post it too.

Best Regards,
Dean and Elaine :D

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:52 am

Reply 1

I want to hear "Froggy went a courtin"!! And I want to hear it NOW! :evil:

Veruca

Reply 2

Oh wow, that Veruca is really an egomaniac. She scares me sometimes. ;)

Dean, thanks so much for the wonderful reports from the field. The kids' show sounds like another special moment in time. Should you be feeling a little down-in-the-dumps today as you start to come down off the weekend high, let me know. I have the perfect cure. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:23 am

Parents use all kinds of tactics to get the lil ones to take a nap.

Who knew Ellis' voice and songs would do the trick at Schuba's Family show? Perhaps there's a whole other target audience out there? :lol:

Dean and Elaine...thanks again for all the updates from the road. :)

Personally, I'm hopin your withdrawal is just strong enough to reveal Karen's suggestion for just such a cure. :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

jesterfool

The Cure...

Postby jesterfool » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:55 pm

C'mon, Karen...we NEED the cure! Please? LOL :lol:
"Embrace what you have in common;
celebrate what sets you apart.
It takes more than the color
that you find on a palate
to turn humanity into an art." ~Ellis Paul

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:13 pm

Dear Karen:

I'm throwin' down with I can take if for at least another day.... I've got new EP music to listen to and I've got the car stereo cranked up as loud as I can listening to all sorts of new stuff. Sorry gang, but a cure like this must be worth waiting for...

Hugs to the little jester fool, if you know what I mean...

Dean

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:35 pm

Dean and all,

If you can hang in there another day, I promise to provide the cure tomorrow. Let me just say though, that you're on the right track. ;)

KarenZ

AndaleOrbea wrote:Dear Karen:

I'm throwin' down with I can take if for at least another day.... I've got new EP music to listen to and I've got the car stereo cranked up as loud as I can listening to all sorts of new stuff. Sorry gang, but a cure like this must be worth waiting for...

Hugs to the little jester fool, if you know what I mean...

Dean
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:41 pm

hmmm... had a post to put here, but it got lost in cyber space.. and I am certain it was clue to the cure! :)
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

shari

Postby shari » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:31 am

OK... I am lost.... cure? I've been away from the board for a couple of weeks...

and I *love* Froggy Went a Coutrin' -- uh huh!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:46 am

Shari,

The cure that folks are commenting on refers to something I said yesterday. Stay tuned. :)

KarenZ wrote:Dean, thanks so much for the wonderful reports from the field. The kids' show sounds like another special moment in time. Should you be feeling a little down-in-the-dumps today as you start to come down off the weekend high, let me know. I have the perfect cure. :)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:47 am

Folks,

The Cure has been posted in the Say Something forum: :)

http://ellispaul.com/discussion/viewtop ... =9670#9670

KarenZ

Return to “3000 Miles”