Schubas, Chicago, IL April 5, 2008

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

AndaleOrbea

Schubas, Chicago, IL April 5, 2008

Postby AndaleOrbea » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:10 pm

SCHUBAS! SCHUBAS! SCHUBAS!
ELLIS! ELLIS! ELLIS!
Here we come.
I last saw Ellis at Schubas in October of 2006. It was my first EP show ever. I even got to meet Karen at the merch table! And I also got to hear Antje for the first time ever and bought Big Dreams Boulevard and had her sign it To "Idaho Boy" after I heard her sing The Long Road. FYI, I graduated from the University of Idaho - that's why Idaho Boy. Like you Paddy, I've lived numerous places. More to come on another day...

I'm really excited.

Off to SCHUBAS! YEA!
Dean (and Elaine) BYOC (I should be able to find some in Chicago).

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:14 pm

Dean,

Excitement is good! Have fun! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:25 pm

Dean and Elaine.....

As we hunker down here outside Philly on this Saturday evening we'll continue to live vicariously thru you two. Enjoy the city, the show, and last but not least, all the wonderful food and drink Chi-Town has to offer.

Lookin forward to hearing a little more about your own Private Idaho. :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

pre10der

Postby pre10der » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:38 am

Just returned from the show at Schubas in Chicago. They recorded it and sold it after the show!! I'm listening to it as I type this. I have a Vance Gilbert show from a couple of years ago when they did the same thing. How cool is that walk out the door with a CD of the show you just enjoyed.

Setlist:
Hurricane Angel
Once Upon a Summertime
Maria's Beautiful Mess
Alice's Champagne Palace
Take All The Sky You Need
Convertable Story
3000 Miles
Jukebox On My Grave
Because It's There
Cold Cold Night (new song)
Blacktop Train (in crowd)
Snow In Austin
Martyr's Lounge
If I Could Catch The Rain
Home
The World Ain't Slowin' Down
Calender Man
Walking After Midnight
Words

I would like to elaborate on the show but it is too late and I am too tired!

Good Night
Tim

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:47 am

Tim - thanks for the report and look forward to reading more once you have had your beauty sleep.

I'm intrigued to see 'Cold, Cold Night' on the setlist and wondered if it was the Bill Morissey song of the same title from his 1993 release 'Night Train'??? or is it a brand new Ellis song with the same title?

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:19 am

pre10der wrote: How cool is that walk out the door with a CD of the show you just enjoyed.

Good Night
Tim

Sounds like icing on the cake........ :wink:

Thanks for the late night setlist, Tim....look fwd to more. :)
paddy

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:50 am

Thanks Tim. I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to repeat the set list as I know it. I had it all typed out before I logged on to see your report.

Sorry ya'll for not getting this report out sooner. It was a bit of a late night. And I hope you haven’t been waiting too long to hear this report. And I needed my beauty sleep - or to sleep it off as one might say...

OMG! Schubas is the best venue to see Ellis play and we had the best time of all weekend. We started off with dinner at the Harmony Grill (attached to Schubas) where we met friends Brad and Crystal, and Elaine’s brother Tom and his wife Gayle. About 25 minutes before show time, we walked over to the bar and I yelled out ‘Hey Elaine! That’s Ellis Paul!’ Ellis was standing right there at the entrance to the room – he asked us why we were so late again! He’s so funny… Got front row, stage right seats and Ellis threw down with one of his best shows I’ve seen. Just before the show started I ran into Ellis at the first place I’d ever met him face-to-face… The Men’s Room at Schubas :shock: – déjà vu. Before the show, I counted over 70 people and at one point there was 25 people STANDING in the back – it appeared to be a sell out! Yea for Ellis!

I’m really not sure what else to say, except here’s the setlist:

1. The Day the Levee Broke (keyboard)
2. Once Upon a Summertime (keyboard)
3. Maria’s Beautiful Mess
4. Alice’s Champagne Palace
5. Take All the Sky You Need
6. 3000 Miles
7. Jukebox On My Grave
8. Because It’s There
9. Waking Up to You (two verses)
10. Blacktop Train (acoustic in the audience)
11. Snow in Austin
12. Martyr’s Lounge
13. If I Could Catch the Rain (keyboard)
14. Home (keyboard)
15. The World Ain’t Slowin’ Down
16. Calendar Man! Complete with Secretary’s Day! (RECORDED FOR POSTERITY) :shock:
17. Walking After Midnight/Change Medley (with two Sam Baker versus – the one about the boys going off to war) (RECORDED FOR POSTERITY) :D
18. Words (Encore) – dedicated to Jean who traveled all the way from England to see Ellis play at Schubas.

Ellis said he was hankered down at Schubas for the night. We think that’s because he couldn’t get his little sports car out of its crammed little spot in front of the venue.

As for the recorded show, I have a copy to send to you Karen for entry into the Ellis Paul Archives.

That’s all I can think of for now.

9 hours to see the family show...
Dean (and Elaine)

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:19 am

Dean, I love you man! :D

So happy you had a stupendous time! Schubas and the Mucky Duck are my two favorite places to see EP perform. I'm just sorry they were back-to-back weekends! :( When I retire....if I retire!....I'm going on the road full-time. ;)

Thanks for the report and make sure you help-out this afternoon with all the hand movements to the songs. :)

KarenZ

AndaleOrbea wrote:As for the recorded show, I have a copy to send to you Karen for entry into the Ellis Paul Archives.

"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:05 am

Jela,

"cold cold night" is part of a line in "waking up to me". We're all guessing at the title of the new song until The Man actually decides, decides, decides, decides, decides. ;)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:12 am

...and there was me thinking that he might have covered a song written by his early mentor! Hey maybe he could learn it for that next covers CD we seem to be suggesting on the other thread???

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:25 am

Your conclusion was quite valid! :)

Great idea to add Mr. Morissey's song to the "cover songs" list. What would Mr. Paul do without us? With us around, he doesn't have to make any decisions. ;)

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:21 am

The show sounds wonderful.. I've never heard of recording and selling the show the same night. I'm SO envious.. Can anyone get a copy? Should we contact Schuba's directly?????
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:35 am

Patti,

I've never been able to figure out how they do it - make multiple copies so quickly. Schubas has been doing it for a couple years now - although to the best of my knowledge, this is the first time they've done it for an EP show. I have a copy of a Kris Delmhorst show that they made available the same night she performed there 2 or 3 years ago and it's really wonderful. I don't think they record every show, though.

To answer your question - I don't think Schubas makes the recordings available at any time other than the night it's recorded....but I don't know for certain. Maybe if you contacted them and begged.... :)

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:47 am

Begging is not below me... I will give it a try!!

After reading about a great show I always start looking at the tour page to figure out how long it is till I get to the next show. Looks like it will be the begining of June before our paths will cross again. And I just noticed a Boston Harbor Concert Cruise.. with Band in August... We used to do a lot of those "back in the day" though I think we called it a "booze cruize" Ahh... things change they change a lot... OR do they.. we'll see :) It is a Friday night after all!
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:56 am

Dear Friends:

The sound guy (who'll remain nameless) from FitzGeralds at EP's Chicago Birthday Show was there and brought two tower computers and looked like he connected them directly to the Schubas sound system. I talked to 'him' before the show and he told be that they were going to tell people that they would be available 15 minutes after the show, and they were, and there was a long line too. I asked about FitzGeralds and 'he' said that Ellis would have to let him know with some advance warning so that they could get the system set up and ready to record, which is why there is no available recording from FitzGeralds. That was a great show too... :(

Anyway, I don't know the logistics about getting another copy. It appeared that 'he' and 'his' wife were selling them on behalf of Ellis, so I don't think they are available from Schubas, but you could ask. Perhaps I'll ask today at the Family Show.

Karen: I told Ellis the recording I had him sign was for you. He was really pleased that you'll be getting a copy.

L8R - I gotta go find some cakes... And put my Dusty shirt on for the show. :wink:
Dean (and Elaine)

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:08 am

Go, Dusty, go! :)

AndaleOrbea wrote:L8R - I gotta go find some cakes... And put my Dusty shirt on for the show. :wink:
Dean (and Elaine)

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:39 am

wow!!! :shock:

snooze ya lose around here........ :lol:

good to log back on here and see all the chatter about Schuba's and the soundboard recording made available to those in attendance. And it's good to see that others here (Jela) think a 2nd covers CD might work well. Hec, it'll free Ellis to put all of his as yet recorded new songs on one CD and all the covers on another. :)

Dean.....let 'em eat cake!!! was a popular saying around my house for as long as i can remember. Not sure where the saying originated, but I always enjoyed it. The saying that is...well, the par-taking, too. :)

Out running y'day and popped Dragonfly Races into the car player knowing we were set to start discussing the family record here on the forum on Monday (tomorrow :) ) Still amazed how Ellis put this one together. Well, more on the other thread....but will leave you with this.

Pinwheel is easily one of my faves on Dragonfly Races but I've yet to see the song appear on any of the setlists from the Special Family Shows. Seems to me the "Windy City" would be a good place to launch it. :wink:

Enjoy the show today...and if ya buy a big enough one........

Let 'em eat cake!!! :D
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:41 pm

Dean,

Nanci Griffith was at Old Town School last night....the reason for IllinoisBill's absence from Schubas. The opportunity to see Miss Griffith doesn't happen too often - even less at a venue such as OTS, so I guess we'll forgive him this time. ;) Oddly enough it was Nanci who started it all for me....via Bill. And he and I were together in Seattle for that first EP show....the show that we lovingly refer to as the LCE (life changing event). :)

KarenZ

mm

Postby mm » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:47 pm

Dean,
Thank you so much for all your wonderful reports from the road! Your cup overflows!! How great that you and Elaine could get to so many and share the goods with us all.

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:25 pm

"Let them eat cake!" I thought was from Marie Antonette, but was actually Maria of Spain, wife of King Louis XIV of France - I had to look it up on wikipedia. Something about making the bakers charge the same for cake as they did for bread - I suppose a lot like the oil companies do now (food for the car) - three bucks a gallon - heck I saw $3.97 :shock: for premium this weekend! Ellis might have to change his lyric to The Day the Levee Broke to $4/gallon. Let them eat hydrogen fuel cells!

No luck with Pinwheel today at the Schubas Family Show - I agree, I like that song too.

RE: IllinoisBill - I knew he had a conflict last night. I just didn't remember where. I also remember him saying that he volunteers there some times. Great for him to see Miss Griffith.

I'm glad to help out where ever I can. This is such a great community to share with, I'm glad I'm a part of being friends with you guys and gal.
Dean

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:58 am

Dean...I almost looked it up last night and was afraid of what I might find. :shock: Glad 'let em eat cake' wasn't too bad. "Let em eat fuel cells" is a hybrid car slogan waitin to happen. :wink:

Thanks for keepin us up to date with the EP roadtrip up your way. They say smelling fresh pastry in a bakery is almost as good as eating it. Since I'm trying to drop a few LBS. these days.......talkin about cake is almost as good as eating it so thanks for the fun with that this weekend.

IllinioisBill, Karen, and all other fans of Nanci Griffith. It started for me with Nanci Griffith, too, and I'd jump at the chance to see her anywhere. In honor of IllinoisBill, KarenZ, our own Ellis Paul, and anyone who ever dreamed of doing this sort of thing for a living -- or loves listening to those that do:

Workin In Corners ~ Nanci Griffith

(Nanci Griffith)
It's a southern road west of New Orleans
I'm fightin' off a cold
From these winter rounds
Houston
She's just around the corner
But I think I'll stop off here in Lafayette
Lord and have me another round

[Chorus:]
I've been workin' in corners all alone at night
Pullin' down whiskey
Keepin' my eyes away from the lights
I'll never be a fool but I will gamble foolishly
I've never let go of love
Till I lost it in my dreams
I don't want to go to sleep
'Cause I just might dream

I'm stronger now, there was a man in my hometown
He sang so pretty
I'm glad he turned my head around
But I'd forgotten how to play a one night stand
Lord I didn't have a word to say
Just holdin' that stranger's hand

[Chorus]

These city streets at five in the mornin'
I would've stopped to phone you
But I'm almost home
At my back door
There's a porch light that's shinin'
I just don't mind livin' here by myself
If I leave it on

[Chorus]

I don't want to go to sleep
'Cause I just might dream
Don't want to go to sleep
You know I sure can dream
And I sure can dream
Sure can dream
paddy

sareywrite

Postby sareywrite » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:47 pm

I was also at the Schuba's show on Saturday night, and walked out with the live CD in my hot little hand. Wonderful thing.

Great show--a number of new songs in preview mode--Ellis said a new album perhaps in the fall. Loved the cover of "Walking After Midnight"--

Schuba's is really a great place to see Ellis (or any folk show, really)--I've seen him at Old Town School as well, but the atmosphere there has grown quite staid in general.

Looking forward to the next time--hope not as long an interval!

Sara

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:51 pm

Sara,

Welcome! and thanks for posting! :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:51 pm

Sara

Welcome to the forum!!! :D

Was there a cake?? :lol:

Thanks for signing on and chiming in..... :D

Hope you'll hang out from time to time and share a few EP stories. :D
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:48 am

Dean and Elaine, Tim, Sara,

I have so enjoyed reading your posts about the recent shows - thank you so much for your contributions.

For those of us who can't get to too many shows it's a real tonic to read about the ones that you folks do get to and what a great time you have. All the little anecdotes really bring things to life and help alleviate the symptoms of PELDS syndrome!

Jela

pre10der

Schubas

Postby pre10der » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:04 pm

I made up a CD cover for the Schubas Saturday evening show, if you are interested in a copy send me an email at

pre10der76@sbcglobal.net

I did use a couple of pics from this website...
Ellis kneeling on stage with his guitar cases around him (front cover)
and Ellis in the tub with guitar (back cover). If this is a violation of any copyrights let me know and I will change to pictures to ones that I took myself at previuos shows.

A lot of people expressed an interest in getting a Cd copy of the show. With Ellis' permission we could start a Tree. The way a tree works is one person (I could start it) makes copies and sends them out to 3-5 people. The recipients in turn make copies and send them out to 3-5 people. This continues until everyone that wants a copy gets one. I just sent out a couple of John Mellencamp 2008 Canada shows all the way to South Africa.

Ellis, I hope you see this and let me know if I am infringing on any copyright issues.

Take It Easy,
Tim

pre10der

off subject

Postby pre10der » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:14 pm

Oops, I forgot to ask this on the previous post. Karen how do I add a pic/graphic under my name. I made up a neat EP graphic where the E & P form an Acoustic guitar and I would like to add it to my name in the margin on posts.

Thanks
Tim

Return to “3000 Miles”