Barns at Wolftrap - Vienna, VA - April 26, 2008

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Barns at Wolftrap - Vienna, VA - April 26, 2008

Postby KarenZ » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:00 am

Hey, 'DC area folks,

If you're planning on buying a ticket at the door for this show - a co-bill with Robbie Schaefer (Eddie from Ohio) - best reconsider. The show is nearly sold-out and it's unlikely that there will be tickets available that day!

It's spring and the early bird catches the worm. ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:39 am

I'm here at Sue Ellen's in MD and we'll be heading to the show tonight at The Barns. It's a co-bill with Robbie Schaefer - whom you all know from Eddie From Ohio - so it should be a fun show. :)

Reports and pictures later....God-willing and if the creeks don't rise :) .....and if I can afford enough gasoline to get back home again. :shock:

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:16 am

Enjoy the show, girls.....will Abiola....aka the richochet rabbit be there, too? :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:09 pm

Oh Karen - $3.65 a gallon [here] and they're makin it clear!!! Perhaps we might add something to the support group list to help those who post show reports enough funds to help defray costs of Road Trips??? :?

I'm so happy that you're going to be there and we'll get show reports! And Pictures! Yea!
Hope you and the rest have a wonderful time.
Dean.

mm

Postby mm » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:08 pm

Have a great time, you guys!!!
I know it'll be a great time.

Monica

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:40 am

Folks,

For the sold-out Saturday night co-bill with Robbie Schaefer, Ellis did a 45-minute set followed by a 15-minute break then Robbie Schaefer did a 45-minute set. At the conclusion of Robbie’s set, he invited Ellis back out for a third set and they performed 5 songs together.

It was my 3rd visit to The Barns and as I mentioned when I posted the photos, the sound there is simply exquisite. My favorite venues for sound are The Barns, Godfrey-Daniels in Bethlehem, PA and Schubas in Chicago. At least those are the ones that stand-out in memory. Ellis started out with two songs on the grande piano that was a personally transcendent experience.

Ellis set:
1. The day the levee broke – on piano
2. Summertime – on piano
3. Waking up to me
4. Maria’s beautiful mess
(the very first time I heard Maria was at The Barns – almost exactly 9 years ago – on April 23, 1999. Ellis opened the show with it that night saying it was a brand-new song.)
5. Jukebox on my grave
6. take all the sky you need
7. alice’s champagne palace
8. 3000 miles
9. home – on piano
10. God’s promise

After a break, Robbie Schaefer came out for his set. I’m not familiar with his songs and was not able to keep a setlist, but after doing two songs Robbie asked “Wasn’t Ellis Paul great?” The crowd applauded in appreciation agreeing that indeed EP had done a fabulous set. Then Robbie made a comment that would influence the remainder of the show. He declared “I don’t know about you, but I want to marry Ellis Paul! I mean, if the current thing doesn’t work out, I’m first in line!” :) Well, the crowd howled and he continued with his set which was very engaging and enjoyable. At the conclusion of his set he invited Ellis back out and they both seated themselves on a stool. Ellis commented that he had enjoyed what he heard of Robbie’s set – admitting that he had missed part of it while taking a beverage break at the bar. Robbie asked Ellis if he had heard the part when Robbie stated that he wanted to marry Ellis. Ellis admitted that he had (thankfully) missed that. There was a bit more banter and eventually Robbie introduced the first song they would do together saying it was a song that they both loved. They then sang the opening line of the song which begins with these words:

“Let us be lovers, we’ll marry our fortunes together.” ……and the crowd went crazy with laughter. They could not continue…. and there was lots more hilarity…until Robbie said “There’s no way we can do this song now”……but I (for one) then others in the audience shouted out “Just do it!”……so they started over and you could hear a pin drop. It was spine-tingling.

11. America (Simon and Garfunkel)
12. Rollaway Bed
For this song Ellis said he had gotten an e-mail from a fella named John asking Ellis to dedicate this song to his girlfriend Jessica….and Ellis complied. Unbeknownst to the audience, the rest of the story was that John planned to pop the question to Jessica during the song. So at the song’s conclusion Ellis shouted out “John, what did she say?” and a voice from the back of the room said “She said yes!” and there was more applause and hootin’ and hollerin’ . At that point Ellis made the mistake of declaring that he (Ellis) hadn’t gotten a ring (from Robbie) and things really went downhill from there. :) At one point Robbie was down on his knees and Ellis said something about them being the Indigo Boys (I thought that was he and Vance!) ;) They were barely able to recover and continued with a wonderful rendition of:

13. Ring of fire

At the conclusion of Ring of Fire, one of the funniest comments of the evening was made when Ellis said:

“If I were an Etch-A-Sketch, I’d want to shake right now.” The crowd went crazy again.

Robbie continued with a song called (I’m guessing) “Carolina” with Ellis doing some sweet harmony on the chorus, then the show ended with Ellis doing:

14. The Night Hank Williams came to town – on piano – with Robbie playing acoustic guitar.

It was another incredibly wonderful evening of music. Since Vienna, VA is Robbie’s hometown area, lots of folks were there to see him….but I know from helping at the merch table that lots of folks there to hear Robbie left as new Ellis Paul fans (not surprising!) That always helps to make my day. :)

It was good to see board member Yetta and Texas EP fan Priscilla – who I always see at the Mucky Duck in Houston! :shock:

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:23 pm

Great report Karen - thanks. You'll have to hold on for that wedding invitation then!!!

Another wonderful evening by the sound of things - you lucky people you.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:52 pm

Just love it when hilarity ensues alongside great music. :D

Just think Karen how many other folks seeing Ellis there will someday be looking back and saying they saw Ellis perform Maria's Beautiful Mess for the first time at Wolftrap in Vienna, Va. 8)

Thanks for the excellent report.......now I'm goin in search of any signs of Mission Impossible style agents that may have gotten some video for youtube. :shock:

:wink:
paddy

proflandry

Postby proflandry » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:41 pm

I was supposed to be there, but was instead on a bus with a bunch of high school debaters coming back from the state debate finals in Lynchberg. Wonderful, wonderful people the debaters. Except, I really, really, wanted to be at the Barns instead...

My wife and friends gave me the review (rubbing it in, telling me it was the bext concert they'd ever seen), but didn't mention Robbie singing "Caroline" (I think that's what it's called), which is one of my favorite songs by him. As well as "Leon" and "If a Tree Falls." And EP performed basically the perfect set. Oh well, next time...

Forget YouTube, anyone tape it?

Sorry, had to ask...

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:46 pm

proflandry wrote:Forget YouTube, anyone tape it?
Sorry, had to ask...

"only ellis' hairdresser knows for sure!!!"

:lol:
paddy

j45rpm

Postby j45rpm » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:49 am

It was definitely a terrific show! I am a huge fan of both Ellis and Robbie, so I was just thrilled to see a show with both of them. (Actually, I first heard Robbie at an Ellis show at Jammin' Java, when he invited the gang from Eddie from Ohio onstage to sing a few numbers.)

Some of the audience chatter I overheard before the show and during the intermission was kinda funny, particularly from people who were there for either Robbie OR Ellis and had never heard the other. When Ellis came out, someone behind me exclaimed in shock, "ELLIS is opening?," for example! :P

Anyhow, there is absolutely no way I'll remember all of the songs in Robbie setlist, and certainly not in order, but the originals he did included Backbeat, Leon, Evergreen, a new number called Monroe, OH (about a giant fiberglass Jesus on the side of the highway near Monroe, OH), Stupid American, Number 6 Driver, and Take Back this Moment. There were one or two covers, whose titles I forget.

I wish Robbie threw in Candido & America and When a Tree Falls, but otherwise, his set was pretty much perfect, and the banter was hysterical!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:59 am

j45rpm

Welcome aboard!!! :D

Thanks for signing on and chiming in....

Sounds like it was BIG FUN!!! 8)
paddy

Return to “3000 Miles”