Houston, Crockett, Ft. Worth, TX - Mar. 27-29, 2008

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Houston, Crockett, Ft. Worth, TX - Mar. 27-29, 2008

Postby KarenZ » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:50 am

Folks,

Heading west tomorrow morning for the Texas shows. Hooking up with BillE and BeckyG. Will check-in if/when I can and will hopefully come back with a few pictures to share. Jela, too bad our travels to Texas didn't quite coincide! :cry:

Carry on! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:55 pm

Dear Karen:

I hope you guys have a great time in Texas!

Safe travels, too.
Dean

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:06 pm

Karen

Something told me you'd be southbound!!! :D

Safe trip all....looking forward to all the reports. :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:29 pm

Thanks y'all. YEE HAW! (Just getting myself primed.) :D

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:40 pm

Yes it is a shame that the Ellis shows were not closer to SXSW - perhaps next year he can arrange for them to follow straight on or better still actually appear at SXSW - now that alone would be worth making the trip for.

Have a great time and look forward to your reports and pix.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:53 pm

The Texas Swing gets underway at The Mucky Duck tonight and I'm "green with envy" with the show Karen and friends and all inside this fine venue will be treated to. God Bless Texas!!! 8)

livin vicariously...... :wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:51 am

Hi everybody,

I'm here at BillE's enjoying the Texas warmth. Last night's show at the Mucky Duck was wonderful (as usual). Peter Mulvey - who hadn't played at the Duck for 5 years - wowed the crowd with his opening set. An additional treat was that Pat Wictor - who had been in San Antonio the night before and who opens for Ellis in Ft. Worth on Saturday - was there....so Ellis invited him to play with him. Except for Ellis' two opening songs that he did solo, Pat played lap guitar with him on every song and also did some sweet harmonies.

The setlist: (*=on piano)

the day the levee broke*
summertime*
maria's beautiful mess
jukebox on my grave
alice's champagne palace
3000 miles
take all the sky you need
cotton's burning
she was (Slaid Cleaves was in the audience so Ellis told the story about how he and Slaid wrote the song) :)
because it's there
million chameleon march
the night hank williams came to town*
BREAK
let it be
minor key
blacktop train
the world ain't slowing down
sweet mistakes
waking up to me? (one verse)
jamiel shaw (one verse)
nothing left to take? (the nameless song) :)
if I could catch the rain*
calendar man
ENCORE:
walking after midnight/change medley

Although we didn't get the typical 3rd set (it was a Thursday night after all!), it was a nice long (23 songs) show! :shock: As usual there were repeated requests for "paris in a day" - which were ignored. ;)

Thanks to Mucky Duck employee Lizzie who lent Ellis her keyboard, we were able to hear the new piano songs.

It was nice for me to catch-up with an old EP board member Darrin, who I hadn't seen in a good long while. The merch table did a brisk business and kept me on my toes. :)

The one negative was that I forgot my camera back at Bill's :oops: but hopefully today I'll remember to put it in my bag for the show in Crockett tonight. Can I use the jet lag excuse? :wink:

More later. :)

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Michael&Cathy

Postby Michael&Cathy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:01 am

Ellis will be in Wisconsin/Illinois soon, and none of the dates work for us. Dang! And we're anxious to hear all the new songs, too.

We're sooooo envious, Karen. Where the green emoticon when you need it??

:)
Cathy (and Michael, too!)

Have a wonderful time. Lookin' forward to the next report.

annieb

Postby annieb » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:15 am

Karen,

So happy for you!

Sounds like a great time! :)

Annie

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:26 am

Great report Karen - did Slaid sing along on 'She Was' ????

Super that you're getting to hear bits of new songs - must be really interesting to see how they start off and develop over time.

We'll let you off forgetting the camera this time!!!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:33 am

Jela,

No, Slaid didn't sing. :(

I noticed that "cotton's burning" had two very different lines towards the end....after the line about being a carpenter by trade. The new line(s) said something about building something with a hammer. How's that for being SPOT ON? ;)

I better go do a Bewley's.....maybe it'll come to me then. :D

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:37 am

chuckle, chuckle

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:14 pm

In Texas I think they're called:

BeYa'lleys

Enjoy Karen....hopefully it comes with huevos rancheros. :wink:

Thanks for the recap from the show at the Duck. :D
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:04 pm

Folks,

Wow. A really special show last night at the Camp St. Cafe in Crockett, TX. A sparse turn-out prompted Peter Mulvey (opener) and Ellis do do something different. Peter did a 20-minute opening set followed by Ellis doing a 20 minute set. After a short break, the two of them took the stage together for a set of song-swap. The played and harmonized on each others' songs.

Ellis solo set was:
jukebox on my grave
waking up to me (now with 2 verses)
snow in Austin
the day the levee broke (played on guitar since there was no keyboard)
because it's there

Ellis and Peter together:
walking after midnight/change (E)
I'm going down (P)
let it be (E)
Hard Times come again no more (P) (Stephen Foster song)
alice's champagne palace (E)
Windshield (P) (a song about Fairbanks, Alaska)
take all the sky you need (E)
the whole of the moon (P) (a Mike Scott/Waterboys song)

Encore:
Minor Key (E)

More details about the show later. Running out of time - just arrived Ft. Worth. :)

KarenZ

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:25 pm

Yea Karen! You're so awesome! Thanks for the report. I can't wait until next Thursday when Ellis comes to the Midwest for four shows! Hope you're having a lot of fun.
Dean

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:23 pm

Karen......thanks for keepin us posted. :D

With Earth Hour in the news today, I'm wondering if Ellis might not play tonight's show "unplugged" for an hour. That'd be cool. 8)
paddy

mm

Postby mm » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:08 am

Karen,
It sounds like a fantastic time there. What a wonderful pairing that must have been...I'd have loved to have experienced it. I am a very big fan of Peter Mulvey's and had the good fortune to have filmed him several years ago. He is a brilliant writer whose song Rise makes me cry when I hear it. Plus he is a wicked nice guy and environmentally conscious. That must have been a real treat.

Thanks for your updates Karen and for representing out there!

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:40 am

Thanks Karen for the report - whilst the audience turnout might have been sparse, those who were there obviously had a real treat.

I'm alongside Monica in that I'm a Peter Mulvey fan and I think he's an absolutely superb guitarist. Have seen him live as part of 'Redbird' with Kris Delmhorst and Jeffrey Foucault.

Look forward to more from you as your trip concludes in Ft. Worth. Say Hi to Becky too.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:56 am

Thanks y'all for letting me know you're reading! :)

Pat Wictor opened last night at the Jefferson Freedom Cafe in Ft. Worth. The crowd absolutely loved Pat and gave him a standing ovation. He was so genuinely appreciative. Pat has a nice, easy-going stage presence that comes across in his stories and songs. He did an audience sing-along encore and really had the crowd singly loudly and snapping their fingers to an a cappella number. The room filled with voices loudly singing:

Love is the water that wears down the rock
Love is the power that won't be stopped

After a 15-minute break of cakes and cookies, Ellis started with 2 songs solo on piano then Pat joined him for the remainder of the show:

the day the levee broke (piano)
summertime (piano)
maria's beautiful mess
jukebox on my grave
take all the sky you need
snow in Austin
because it's there
road trip (the young-at-heart folks singing along) ;)
blacktop train (unplugged)
if I could catch the rain (piano)
the night hank williams came to town (piano)
the world ain't slowing down
this land is your land (wow, wow, wow)
walking after midnight/change
words
3000 miles
Encore:
Minor key

More details later. Using a hotel computer and my time has expired! :)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:12 pm

Now that's my kind of concert - cakes in the interval!

Thanks Karen for keeping us all posted about the Texas shows - you certainly have had a great trip and I'm sure I speak for most of us when I say that we've really enjoyed reading about the shows.

A standing ovation for the support act - bet that doesn't happen too often??

Safe travels back home.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:02 pm

WOW, that went fast..... :shock:

Karen, Jela is right.... :D

Safe travels home and thanks again for all the words on Texas. 8)
paddy

Return to “3000 Miles”