This Time Concerts - Seattle - April 19, 2008!

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

Stephen

This Time Concerts - Seattle - April 19, 2008!

Postby Stephen » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:42 pm

Ellis Paul returns to the Pacific Northwest in April, with shows in Portland (Mississippi Studios) and in Seattle.

Rewind the clock a year, and you'll find us seeing Ellis Paul at Youngstown Cultural Arts Center, presented by Four Sheep Concerts. Sadly, that was the last Four Sheep Concerts show in Seattle, as the organizers had plans to move away from the Seattle area.

We loved the venue, the people, and the opportunity to see shows with our kids, and so picked up where Brian and Jill left off, starting our own series: This Time Concerts.

We'll have a kid's show in the afternoon, and Ellis and Antje Duvekot will perform together in the evening.

We're very excited about bringing Ellis and Antje to Seattle, and hope you'll be able to make it.

This Time Concerts: http://www.thistimeconcerts.org/

Stephen

Postby Stephen » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:10 am

The kid's show will begin at 1:00pm, and the evening show, with special guest Antje Duvekot, will begin at 7:30pm.

Hope to see lots of Ellis fans there!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:10 am

Thanks for the update Stephen. I hope there's a terrific turn-out. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:54 pm

Stephen

Good luck with the series and these shows in particular. Hoping to hear all about the shows afterwards and some of your amazing photos, too. :)

I'll try to generate some buzz around the Seattle shows with some of my old friends back there. :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

GlennCase

Postby GlennCase » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:12 pm

So, Ellis rocked our collective worlds once again with a couple of spectacular sets in Seattle. This was our fourth annual trip across the state to see him play, and he never ceases to impress and amaze.

We were thrilled to see that Antje was opening up for him again. His opening acts have never been bad, but we call Antje "the female Ellis" for a reason. Rach and I think she's equally mesmerizing to watch and listen to. It's a very special thing when they share a stage.

Songs in quotes represent songs where I am not sure of the title.

Here were the setlists for both shows:

Afternoon Set
The Cat Came Back
Wabi-Sabi
Because It's There
Road Trip
The Bed Song
I Like to Swing
This Land is Your Land (Woody Guthrie Cover)
The Dragonfly Races
Little Red Rose
MEDLEY: I've Been Working on the Railroad/She'll be Coming Around the Mountain
Going to the Zoo (Tom Paxton Cover)
If I Had a Hammer (Pete Seeger Cover)

Antje Duvekot's set
Long Way
Dandelion
NEW SONG - "When the Sun Comes Up"
Hold On (with Ellis)
Pearls (with Ellis)
Anna

Encore - Judas

Evening Set

NEW SONG - "Hurricane Angel" ("the day the levee broke")
Once Upon a Summertime
NEW SONG - "One Headlight" (in previous posts this has been "waking up to me")
Maria's Beautiful Mess
Jukebox On My Grave
Alice's Champagne Palace
NEW SONG - "She's History" (discussion board consensus is "nothing left to take") ;)
Blacktop Train
Because It's There
She Was
Calendar Man
Take All the Sky You Need
Words
Trolley Car (With me!)*
Martyr's Lounge
Home
God's Promise
Sweet Mistakes

Encores - Last Call (With Antje)
I Can't Make You Love Me (Bonnie Raitt Cover) (With Antje)

* I was sitting in the front row, and I was one of the people requesting "Trolley Car". It seemed like a perfect choice since Ellis and Antje had traveled through snow, ice and hail to get from Eugene to Seattle. Ellis warned us that he might not be able to remember all of the lyrics. So, I was singing out the parts I knew, and he says "If I knew you were going to sing that well, I would have just had you come up here." So, he had me join him on the stage for Trolley Car!

I adore every word of the song when I am listening to it, but I didn't remember the lyrics as well as I would have hoped. He called our attempt "a fun train wreck", but it was an amazing experience to share the stage with one of my favorite songwriters of all time. I'll have photos in the near future for anyone that wishes to see them.

ROCK!

Glenn Case

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:23 pm

Glenn,

You DO rock! Thanks for the report! The "fun train wreck" must have been exciting for you! :)

I will add the titles you weren't sure about in red....and please do post some pix when you can. :)

I'm starting to think that snow and ice follow Mr. Paul wherever he goes! :shock:

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

GlennCase

Postby GlennCase » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:04 am

Hey Karen! Exciting doesn't even seem like a strong enough word, but that's the basic idea. :)

I guess it was just time for me to give my yearly report. Thanks for the information on the song titles. Hopefully Ellis isn't a snow god that's living a similar life to that of <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_characters_from_The_Hitchhiker's_Guide_to_the_Galaxy#Rob_McKenna">Rob McKenna</a> from the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy book series.

These pictures were sent to me by John of diamondmask.smugmug.com. It is likely that he will have many pictures from the show on his website soon.

In the meantime, these are the pictures of me getting to share a stage with one of my favorite songwriters of all time! (Yes, I do feel incredibly lucky.)

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4
Picture 5
Picture 6
Picture 7

And here are a couple of pictures that were taken after the show.

Picture 8
Picture 9

ROCK!

Glenn Case

shari

Postby shari » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:31 am

Glenn,

Fabulous report and picture and I am not sure that I can say jealous loud enough! :mrgreen:

Trolley Car?????????? I Can't Make You Love Me???????

I love Trolley Car. The line about how snowfall should be measured is one of my favorites though I can't tell you why that particular line strikes me. (Actually yes I can, but too much to type here.) I hear the lyrics in my head every time that I ride the T. And as I've said before, Ellis is the only man who I think can pull off I Can't Make You Love Me convincingly.

Does this mean that "One Headlight" has been completed? :-)

Very cool that you got to share the stage...

The Antje song "When the Sun Comes Up" is probably the song that I've been calling "Coney Island" but I am not 100% on what's she's calling it. Very lovely song...

Thanks for the report!

Shari

annieb

Postby annieb » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:47 pm

I sent some friends to this show.

It was their first experience with both Atje and Ellis!

They were also in the front row, and they LOVED it!!

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:38 pm

Stephen.....Congrats on what sounds like 2 great shows. :D

Glenn.....thanks for the proof that the above words ring true. :wink:
paddy

Stephen

Postby Stephen » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:21 am

We had a great time presenting Ellis and Antje here in Seattle on Saturday.

They were a little delayed in getting to town due to rain / sleet / snow / hail on the way from Portland to Seattle, but those in attendance for the family show in the afternoon were very understanding - we've had crazy spring weather around here for the last week or so - and Ellis charmed them from the moment he took the stage.

I hadn't heard Antje perform before - though I'd heard plenty about her - and she was wonderful. Ellis joined her on stage for a couple of songs during her set, and he brought her back for a couple of songs during his encores.

Ellis has a new guitar, made for him by a couple in Oregon, and he played it for most of the show. It's a parlor guitar, a little smaller than the others he usually plays. It's got a great sound, and he was having a great time playing both old and new songs on it.

Thank you to all who came out to see him - we really do appreciate it. We've done a number of house concerts, but this year's been a real growth experience, moving up to presenting shows in a "real" venue. The sound person at YCAC (Sara!) is pushing us to bring Ellis back next year with Don Conoscenti and a couple of others, and we'd love to make that happen.

Stephen

ps: Thanks, Paddy. Our first visit to this venue was Ellis' show last spring (the presenters' last show) and we did the only reasonable thing: took over for them and kept bringing in the music! It's a great space, and we're happy to be bringing in artists to perform in a family-friendly venue.

Stephen

Postby Stephen » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:57 pm

One of the concert's attendees was kind enough to point us at his wonderful pictures of Ellis and Antje (and our audience member!) performing last Saturday. You can see the pictures here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike_price/sets/72157604673620916/

john

Postby john » Wed May 07, 2008 10:38 pm

I do have pictures up, but they are no where near as good as the link that Stephen posted. My attempts are here....

http://diamondmask.smugmug.com/gallery/ ... 4171_85Nx9

Great show and Thanks Stephen for bringing Ellis out here again.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu May 08, 2008 2:44 am

John - thanks for posting - you have some great shots here.

A super slide show that's started the day off on a high. Much appreciated.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu May 08, 2008 10:32 am

John....GREAT SHOTS INDEED!!!
Thanks for sharing them with the forum..... :D
"every picture tells a story"

At first I was taken aback at Ellis playing this show seated on a stool vs. standing as we are so used to seeing him do at his shows either there in person or photos that get posted here. I for one always like to see artists take a load off and sit awhile.....it's kinda cool when they do, and they're not getting any younger, either, so it's to be expected, sometimes. :P

Then I noticed the reason I think Ellis was seated for this show. His new Parlor guitar did not have a guitar strap and needed a lap to support it. :wink:

Anyway....cool shots of Ellis and Antje on the road.....thanks again!!! :D
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu May 08, 2008 10:48 am

Thanks, John. I especially liked the shot of the 3 guitars. :)

KarenZ

Return to “3000 Miles”