Iron Horse Music Hall - Northampton, MA - Feb. 23, 2008

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

stacyx

Iron Horse Music Hall - Northampton, MA - Feb. 23, 2008

Postby stacyx » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:57 am

Great show tonight at the Iron Horse Music Hall.

Ellis was awesome as always.

Here's the playlist:

On piano:
Once Upon a Summertime
I Can't Pay (Ellis said this song was two days old)

Maria's Beautiful Mess
Alice's Champagne Palace
Take All the Sky You Need
3000 Miles
Eighteen
Jukebox on My Grave
I Can't Catch the Rain (Piano)
Home - (Piano)
Because It's There
I Like To Swing
Snow In Austin
Blacktop Train
God's Promise
Speed of Trees
The World Ain't Slowing Down

Encore:
Calendar Man
May the road rise up to greet you, the wind always be at your back and may you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil realizes you're dead.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:42 am

Thanks, Stacy! I'm looking forward to hearing the new song! :)

How was the turnout? I hope the snow didn't keep folks away.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

stacyx

Postby stacyx » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:09 am

The turnout was great. The place was completely packed. We got there at 6, the doors opened at 5:30, and were lucky enogh that a gentleman let us sit at his table with us.
May the road rise up to greet you, the wind always be at your back and may you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil realizes you're dead.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:01 am

Cool! 8)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:00 pm

Stacyx....love your use of the Irish Blessing as signature.... :D It was always one of my dad's all time favorites. :D Hopefully, last night's rendition of Calendar Man included St. Paddy's Day. :lol:

Thanks for the recap and playlist from the Iron Horse. Not surprised to hear the place was packed for Ellis Paul. It would have to have been Blizzard' ing pretty good to keep folks away. :wink:

The Live at The Iron Horse compilation CD is great....Ellis' contribution is a live from the Iron Horse stage performance of "Weightless." 8)

I love the sound of the title of the new song ~ I Can't Pay.

Can't wait to hear it either..... :)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

shari

Postby shari » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:54 am

Hi Folks,

I can't say enough about this show. Ellis was "on" in all ways. He started out the show with Summertime - that song has been grown into a real favorite of mine. He followed it with the song that I called Hurricane Angel that he first played at Music at the Mission last weekend. This (for me) is where the show really began to take off. In introducing the song he said that it came out of being pissed off.

- He's pissed off about the cost of health insurance.
- He's pissed off about credit card companies and the fact that they can jack your rates to ridiculous levels.
- He's pissed off that Exxon recorded record setting profits this year while many of us are struggling.

And found himself asking, How can this be? How can it be allowed? And then he found himself thinking about the Katrina victims now being moved out of their makeshift FEMA trailer homes because of the formaldehyde levels. I believe that Ellis said that the numbers are around 39 thousand people. And all of that being pissed off got crammed into this one song.

When he got to "I Can't Catch the Rain" he explained that this song was written when he was beginning to get pissed off about things, in particular the cost of health care insurance, hence the overlap in lyrics between the two songs. So, Karen, now we have that one explained. He mentioned thinking that he needs to change I Can't Catch the Rain so that the two songs can co-exist on a recording. I hope he doesn't change either song. For me they both ring.

He finished the evening with Calendar Man, which he sang for a woman in the audience who was turning 40 that evening. He was asking people to shout out Holidays and he said that there is a verse for every Holiday, but some he can't sing in public. People shouted out Easter immediately and he said that's one of the ones that he can't sing in public. So now, of course, I want to hear that one!

I hope that everyone is well...!

:-)

Shari

Return to “3000 Miles”