One Longfellow Square - Portland ME - Feb 24, 2008

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

wendy

One Longfellow Square - Portland ME - Feb 24, 2008

Postby wendy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:30 pm

Hey, is anyone else from the board going to be at this show?
It was a totally packed last time (different venue-name), and I see there's an early show for the kids, too... should be GREAT!
-wendy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:03 am

Wendy,

Have a great time and please report back when you can! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

wendy

Postby wendy » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:58 am

Great show(s)!!!
This is a small venue with great sound and aspirations. The upcoming show list is impressive. Though unable to attend the afternoon kid-fest, we heard it was wonderful - complete with a mosh pit in front and all the actions to accompany the songs. 8)
AND... our old board-member Lauren was there!

Here's the set-list for the evening show:
1. Summertime
2. the new untitled "venting" song. I'd guess it will be called either "Hurrican Angel" or "I Can't Pay". Excellent song. I'm looking forward to a closer look/listen at the lyrics.
3. Maria's Beautiful Mess
4. Alice's Champagne Palace
5. Coming Home to Maine (done seated: the Folk Music Costume Change!
:lol: )
6. Jukebox On My Grave (with "RingTone" added to the lyrics when someone's cell phone interrupted... and Ellis had to keep pausing to try to control his laughter)
7. Take All the Sky You Need
8. 3,000 Miles
9. 'Cuz It's There
10. Wabi Sabi
11. a verse of a brand new (composed that evening between shows) song. It could be called "Waking Up to Me", and will surely have evolved and expanded during Ellis's many hours' drive home to VA last night. How cool to hear a song at its infancy!
BREAK
12. Home (with an explanation of "Garden Utensil" piano-playing - think 3 fingers from each hand only... :roll: )
13. The Night Hank Williams Came To Town
14. Way Down Yonder in a Minor Key
15. Blacktop Train (unplugged)
16. Angel in Manhattan :!: (sounded so good, and he got through all the verses without assistance!)
17. World Ain't Slowing Down
18. Speed of Trees
Encore - Let It Be.

Great show, appreciative crowd, Ellis obviously at ease and full of fun and energy. It was well worth getting only 4 hrs of sleep for! (there should be a drowsy emoticon over there... maybe :shock: could be used to illustrate the toothpicks holding my eyes open?)
-wendy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:34 am

Thanks Wendy - sounds like another great show from Mr Paul.

I am definately getting withdrawal symptoms reading about the recent shows.........only 5 months to wait to see him in concert and hopefully hear those new songs.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:36 am

Yes! Thanks, Wendy! :)

And Jela....after reading your reply, I feel guilty. :( I only have to tough it out for a few more weeks....hopefully! :)

Oh! I just had a thought! That I should join a support group for my addiction! But I don't have to join a support group! I *have* a support group! :D

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:16 pm

wendy wrote:Great show(s)!!!
This is a small venue with great sound and aspirations. The upcoming show list is impressive. Though unable to attend the afternoon kid-fest, we heard it was wonderful - complete with a mosh pit in front and all the actions to accompany the songs. 8)
AND... our old board-member Lauren was there!

Lauren....come out come out wherever you are!!! :P

Wendy,

thanks for the recap and setlist from the lateshow. Can't wait to hear the new songs, especially the one revealed here, Waking Up to Me.

Brings to mind what Ellis once said in an interview:

"I'd been down the Ellis Paul rabbithole"

The garden tool song line is too funny and this, too, shakes my recollection back to the last time I saw Ellis perform (at Puck Live). He had those "garden tools" out and I thought to myself that he really has mastered the "white keys" and that he should seriously consider painting them all white. :lol:

Anybody else see this one or the "family show" earlier?

Something tells me Lauren had some of the moves down? :P

Photos would be great, too, if anyone has them to share. :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:27 pm

Yes Lauren - we miss you and hope you come back soon.

Jela

Return to “3000 Miles”