WoodyFest 2008

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

WoodyFest 2008

Postby KarenZ » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:03 pm

Folks,

Can it ever be too early to start a WoodyFest thread? :wink: Just want to let you all know that Ellis is on the list of confirmed artists for 2008. (MonicaR I can hear you giving out a loud YEE HAW!) :) The line-up is shaping up to be another great one. If you've never made the pilgrimage to Okemah, OK (our hero Woody just won a Grammy!), I'm giving you plenty of time to start making plans. :)

Check out the sneak preview of confirmed artists:

http://www.woodyguthrie.com/2008_Entertainers.htm

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:17 pm

Karen,

Of course, never too early.

Recently I came across a youtube of some folks talking about Woodyfest's origin saying that one caveat was that it would be open to all and be free.

If that's the case...that's amazing. :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:49 pm

Karen,

I can't type what I said when I saw Ellis' name added to the list of performers today!!!!!

Unfortunately, I had to chose between the VT weekend or Okemah this year and VT won!

If, however, I win the lottery in the near future, I'll be able to do both!!!

Otherwise, I'll have to live vicariously through you this year and start saving my pennies for next year!!!!

Monica R.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:34 pm

We're planning on being there. We had such a ball last year that we couldn't possibly miss it this year.

What with Ellis, Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy, John Gorka and Sam Baker confirmed so far we are in seventh heaven.

We'll keep our fingers crossed Monica that you win the lottery....so sorry that you won't be there otherwise. Remember you've got to be in it to win it! So buy those tickets now!!!

Jela + Richard

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:33 am

Thanks Jela!

I got a Season Ticket for Christmas that is drawn twice a week, so here's hoping!!!!

Monica R.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:16 pm

Well last night I dreamt that a friend had won the lottery....so you never know, perhaps it's an omen.

Maybe I need to get myself a ticket for tomorrow's lottery draw over here in the UK.

Jela

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:22 pm

I hope so, Jela!

I bought a Valentine scratch ticket yesterday and won $10! That won't get me to Okemah, unfortunately, but it's a start!

Good luck to you!!!!

Monica R.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu May 01, 2008 12:30 pm

Folks,

Some good news for those of you not able to make the pilgrimage to Okemah this year. Gene Shay, Dean of American Folk DJs and one of the founders of the Philadelphia Folk Festival, will be attending WoodyFest this year. Shay, who has emceed the Philadelphia festival since its inception in 1962, is host of the Folk Show on Philadelphia’s WXPN. He also hosts a weekly Internet radio show on FolkAlley.com and will be recording interviews and performances during WoodyFest for these shows as well as for NPR’s nationally syndicated World Café. So you may be able to listen to some live stuff during the festival, or hear some recorded stuff afterwards on FolkAlley or WXPN. I'll keep you informed as details are worked out. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

2bluesboys

Postby 2bluesboys » Thu May 01, 2008 10:26 pm

We are going to Woodyfest.

In addition to seeing Ellis Paul and our other favorites, we are beyond thrilled that a very talented young friend of ours, Alexinder Gunn, is going to be one of the performers. ( www.alexindergunn.com )
Performing at Woodyfest has been a dream of his and we are amazed, but not surprised , that he is achieving this dream just a few months after turning 21!

He will be playing 11am on Thursday at the Brick Street Cafe.

I hope all the folks on the board will join us there and support this young rising folksinger/songwriter. He just released his first cd. You really need to hear him in person. You are going to want to say you heard him "when".. :!:

Looking forward to meeting you all in person.

Barbara

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri May 02, 2008 6:31 am

Barbara - we look forward to meeting you too at WoodyFest.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri May 02, 2008 7:51 am

Barbara,

How exciting for you! :

Looking forward to meeting you (finally!) also! :)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu May 15, 2008 10:12 am

Folks,

Although WoodyFest officially starts each year with one ticketed event on Wednesday night (this year a July 9 Country Joe MacDonald tribute to Woody Guthrie), 2008 will be a little different. A special Bob Childers tribute show will be held at Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa on Tuesday, July 8. The show will be a fundraiser sponsored by the Kaiser Foundation and proceeds will go both to the Woody Guthrie Coalition and Bob Childer's family. Confirmed artists include:

Jimmy LaFave
Joel Rafael
The Burns Sisters
The Red Dirt Rangers
and others.

This will be a ticketed event also. Will post ticket information and more details when I can.

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Fri May 16, 2008 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri May 16, 2008 1:26 pm

I missed this message the other day - line up looks great and we look forward to it.

Nice to see that the Burns Sisters are playing, as their name isn't on the list of 2008 performers on the WoodyFest site we were thinking (sadly and wrongly) that they were not going to be there this year. Great that they are.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri May 16, 2008 1:54 pm

Jela,

The WoodyFest list of performers is supposedly now complete, and the Burns Sisters are NOT listed. So although they will be at the Tuesday night tribute and will be hanging-out in Okemah, it doesn't look like they have a scheduled set at the festival. :(

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Fri May 16, 2008 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri May 16, 2008 3:12 pm

Well I hope that they get called up to accompany others on the bill as the are just wonderful either together or alone.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri May 16, 2008 3:15 pm

Jela,

I hope so too! :)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri May 30, 2008 12:53 pm

Folks,

Tickets for both the special Tuesday night (July 8th) tribute to Bob Childers to be held at Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa and the Wednesday night (July 9th) County Joe McDonald tribute to Woody Guthrie to be held at the Crystal Theater in Okemah will go on sale at 10:00am this Sunday, June 1 at:

http://gettix.net

Just a reminder that the main festival - Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday - is FREE. 8)

KarenZ

danaj

Postby danaj » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:25 am

Wow! It seems like *forever* since I've posted! But I had to pop my head in and say... I'll be at Woody Fest this year! 8) Again. Wouldn't miss it for the world!

See everyone there! :D
“Life has got a habit of not standing hitched. You got to ride it like you find it. You got to change with it. If a day goes by that don't change some of your old notions for new ones, that is just about like trying to milk a dead cow.” -Woody Guthrie

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:01 am

Dana, look forward to seeing you there too.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:50 pm

Folks,

Here's a link to the complete schedule in a printer-friendly format. Ellis' kids' show is at noon on Saturday; evening show at 8:30pm.

LOTS going on in addtion to music! 8)

http://www.woodyguthrie.com/Full_Schedule_2008.doc

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:52 am

He's from New Jersey
But he doesn't talk that way
He watched too much tv
When he was young

Just saw that John Gorka is playing Woodyfest! 8)
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:16 am

Paddy,

Yes, this is his WoodyFest debut. He will also be one of several performers during the "Remembering Phil Ochs" set which is also going to be very special. :)

KarenZ

danaj

Postby danaj » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:33 pm

I've been checking out what all is going on this year at WoodyFest and I'm getting more excited each time I check it out!

Barbara, look forward to hearing young Mr. Gunn... anyone with that last name has to be pretty amazing. :wink: Seriously, though, I"ve ben to his website and listened to some clips... He's very, very talented! :)

Looking forward to seeing you again, Richard & Jela and Karen also! Along with everyone else who shows up!!!

Only 2 weeks to go! :!:
“Life has got a habit of not standing hitched. You got to ride it like you find it. You got to change with it. If a day goes by that don't change some of your old notions for new ones, that is just about like trying to milk a dead cow.” -Woody Guthrie

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:23 am

Folks,

An article about WoodyFest in yesterday's Times-Record that mentions Mr. Paul. ;)

http://www.swtimes.com/articles/2008/06 ... ures02.txt

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:31 am

And mentions Ms. Karen Zundel too, I might add!!!!

Great article! Thanks for sharing.

Monica R.

Jimmy Pollard

Postby Jimmy Pollard » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:36 pm

For those going to Okemah, please join us Saturday morning for MaryJo's Pancake Breakfast at Lou's Rocky Road. A splendid time is, as always, guaranteed for all!

Jimmy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:44 pm

I'll be there! :)

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:21 am

I'll be there in spirit!

You all have a BLAST!

Monica R.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:48 am

We will be there tucking into those lovely pancakes! We'll miss you Monica.

Jela + Richard

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:51 am

I will miss you all too, Jela.

I will wear last year's T-shirt in honor of that day and make pancakes for breakfast, while listening to some Woody music. Next best thing to being there, I suppose!

:) Monica R.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:03 pm

Monica,

Well....if you can't be Okemah, I'd say the next best thing would be to be at a cottage at the beach! :)

Start saving those $$ for next year! :)

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:14 pm

Most definitely, Karen!!!!!

I'm certainly going to try saving my pennies for next year.

My son will be heading to college in 2 years, so most of my pennies are being saved for that these days, which makes me feel semi-guilty when I'm spending money on musical excursions!

As the old saying goes, "where there's a will, there's a way" and there's definitely a WILL on my part. :wink:

Monica R.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:58 pm

Here's a video of two members of the Woody Guthrie Coalition - Bill and Deana McCloud - talking about the festival on Oklahoma Horizon TV. This aired on June 29, 2008.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_kBPNYcOAU

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:57 pm

Folks,

Sorry I've been so quiet, but I am still sans computer! :( Heading to WoodyFest in the morning with a new camera :) that I don't know how to use. :( I guess I'll be studying in-flight. :)

Anyway, hold down the fort, y'all. Jela, see you tomorrow! How 'bout that Wimbeldon final? :shock:

I'll try to check in from BeckyG's on Wednesday and from the Okemah Public Library (I'm at my local public library now!) later in the week....

:)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:08 pm

I'm just about to finish packing and can't wait to see you tomorrow !!!!

Awesome final - I'm so sad that the Fed Express didn't win his 6th in a row but he put up a brilliant defence. Nadal is brilliant too, those two have taken tennis to undreamt of heights. So pleased that Venus won her 5th on Saturday.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:20 pm

Safe travels all and report in when you can. We'll hold down the fort! :D
paddy

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:17 pm

Woody Fest was a blast as always!

I was really looking forward to the Saturday evening session which was jam packed with stars!

Ellis took the stage and declared that it will NOT rain.

With Judy Collins headlining, there was a grand piano on stage and Ellis used it for his first couple of songs. Don Conoscenti and Radoslav Lorkovic came out to play later in the set.

It did start raining during the set and Don Con was giving Ellis crap about his "no rain" declaration. I think it's safe to say that Ellis will not be named WoodyFest Meteorologist anytime soon!

It was fun dancing in the rain to "Blacktop Train"!

I didn't write down his setlist so hopefully someone will be able to post it. Songs played that I'm sure about, 3,000 Miles, Maria's Beautiful Mess, Alice's Champaign Palace, Blacktop Train. I'm also pretty sure he played Take All The Sky You Need and God's Promise but I maybe remembering the Blue Door show too. The shows all roll into one for me sometimes.

I did go to the Sunday "Hoot For Huntington's" and Ellis was there and played Way Down Yonder In The Minor Key with Don Conoscenti, Audry Auld and Monica Taylor on backing vocals.

Ellis did tell that he and Joel Rafael both cover Minor Key and they are sort of competitive with it. Joel preceded Ellis Saturday evening and played Minor Key so Ellis said he had to change his setlist. He did say that Joel offered to "sell him the song" so Ellis could have played it Saturday. Ellis was fortunate that Joel didn't play Minor Key on Sunday as well because he was on before Ellis once again!

I do have a few photos of Ellis from Woody Fest and can E-mail them for someone to post.

peace...

monicar

Postby monicar » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:26 am

Thanks for the post, Randy. Sounds great, even with the rain.

I think Ellis and Joel should sing Minor Key together and they can battle on the "ain't nobody that can sing like me" part. :lol:

Monica R.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:56 am

Thanks Rusty.....lookin forward to the pix! 8)
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:11 am

Folks,

I'm back, but it is going to take DAYS for me to catch up, so please bear with me. :) The entire festival was OVER THE TOP. It just keeps getting better and better, if that's possible. Got some terrific shots with my new camera which I will try to get posted within the next few days.

Thanks for keeping things going in my absence. :)

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:12 am

Welcome Home, Karen!

Look forward to hearing all about it when you get the chance.

:D

Monica R.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:16 pm

WoodyFest was a BLAST! We just had the best time ever. Music, laughter, tears, friendship, hugs, kisses……….it was such a lovely experience and I’m still floating from it.

We arrived last Tuesday evening, in Tulsa, our flight was two hours late so we didn’t get to the Bob Childers Tribute show until about 8.45pm. Caught Stoney LaRue, Red Dirt Rangers (those guys rock!) and part of Jimmy LaFave’s set. Left at about 11.00pm as we’d been up for 24hrs and needed sleep.

Wednesday – drove to Henryetta, dinner with KarenZ and off to the Crystal for Country Joe McDonald’s Woody Guthrie tribute – music interspersed with readings – a great start to WoodyFest and then we went to the after show reception at Brick St which gave us a chance to chat to people.

The next days were awesome – too many good things to mention so here’s just a selection of memorable moments:

Lovely to see so many good young performers this year – Alexinder Gunn, you can definitely see Woody influences in his songs. Bought his CD. Emily Elbert, she looks like a porcelain doll, tiny, tiny girl studying at Berklee. Jazzy guitar influences – sang a slow acoustic version of Michael Jackson’s ‘Thriller’. Anthony da Costa – he was a ‘must see’. Only 17 but has released 6, yes 6 CDs to date. A precocious talent, his writing is way more mature than his years. Has won awards at Kerrville and Falcon Ridge. Very good stage presence. During the ‘Remembering Phil Ochs’ set at the Pastures, he sang ‘Draft Dodger’ a song about an 18yr old explaining all the things that are ‘wrong’ with him so that he can avoid the draft. He’d had three hours to learn the words and music and he went down a storm with the crowd. He is a real talent. John Fullbright, recently graduated from Okemah High School, a lovely voice and did some excellent covers by Townes Van Zandt/John Prine/Leonard Cohen.

Kevin Welch WOW! Now he just blew me away! He played solo on the Pastures stage, 9.30 pm slot – I always say that my idea of paradise is sitting in a field, on a beautiful summer’s day listening to live music so I was in my element and THEN Karen comes to find me and tells me that Richard wants me to go backstage (he’s taking pix in the photographer’s area) as there’s someone who wants to see me. Off I trot – that ‘someone’ was none other than Sam Baker – my heart skipped more than a few beats I can tell you! There we were, arms around each other’s shoulders with Sam singing in my ear, the words to the John Hiatt song ‘Train to Birmingham’ that Kevin Welch was performing – I think I went to heaven!

Next up Butch Hancock, a long time hero in our household. He performed some new songs from a forthcoming CD and some old ones including one of my favourites ‘Bluebird’ (just beautiful). He sang it again at the breakfast, dedicated it to Bob Childers.

Friday night, John Gorka – hadn’t seen him for 6 years so his set was much anticipated – he was just wonderful in his quiet, understated way. Paddy, we bought the DVD that you raved about a while back.

Saturday am - Mary Jo’s Pancake Breakfast - very emotional. On stage was an empty chair draped with a black T-shirt with a white buffalo on it, in honour of the late Bob Childers. In Native American culture the white buffalo represents spirituality – it was a fitting tribute. Jimmy LaFave opened with a song ‘I’ll Fly Away’ and a 17yr old member of the Guthrie family signed the song – well to hear Jimmy’s voice and to see her movements/signs alongside brought tears to my eyes as well as others including Audrey Auld who was on stage at the time. It was so moving.

After the breakfast, Karen, Richard and I hotfooted along to the Children’s Festival where we met DanaJ (hi to you) and Rachel Klein. I now know the movements to ‘Road Trip’ and ‘Dragonfly’. During the show a young girl aged about 3/4yrs joined Ellis on stage and their interaction was joy to watch. She did what he asked her, dancing and singing ‘click, click, click’ into the microphone during ‘Dragonfly’. She was so sweet.

Saturday 3pm at the Crystal – Sam Baker! This was my 11th Sam show and I thought that it was his most confident performance – he did talk a lot as he always does and told some terrible jokes. Rad accompanied him and together they were just fabulous. In one of Richard’s photos I think Sam looks like an angel – arms out as if he’s flying – it’ll be posted up in due course.

4pm at Brick St – this was Bob Childers slot and Jimmy LaFave hosted the set. He was in tears at the beginning as he explained that Bob’s guitar was there to be used and that people would come up to do a song each. There would be a collection for the family. I just wanted to go up and put my arms around him. He sang ‘Restless Spirits’. Rad performed a song he’d written when he heard the sad news of Bob’s death – it’s a beautiful song about the silence in a forest when the tallest tree falls (I’m getting all goose pimply as I write this). It was a lovely, moving tribute.

Saturday evening’s line up – Red Dirt Rangers/Joel Rafael/Ellis Paul/Jimmy LaFave/Judy Collins. Ellis’ set has already been reviewed so I won’t say anymore about that except to mention that he (and Don and Rad) got absolutely soaked as the rain blew in during his last two songs ‘Walking after Midnight/Change’ and ‘BlackTop Train'. They were barefoot and were in some potential danger in the storm. Luckily it didn’t last for long and didn’t stop proceedings.

Next – Jimmy LaFave and I was watching from backstage as the overhang gave some protection from the weather and THEN Bill McCloud (Concert Producer and MC) came over and invited me to sit ON THE STAGE (!!!) and join him and Karen who was up there from Ellis’ set. I thought that I was in a dream, sitting on the stage with Jimmy La Fave and his band – boy have I got some very special memories of this year’s WoodyFest. MonicaR I was thinking about you as I was sitting up there and Jimmy was singing ‘Secret Garden’ For his finale he called up all the performers to join him for ‘Oklahoma Hills’ It was a sight to behold – all these wonderful musicians climbing the steps to the stage to sing their hearts out.

Judy Collins closed out the show – she was dressed all in black, high stiletto heels and long white hair blowing in the wind – she mainly sings covers and I especially liked ‘Norwegian Wood’. She finished with ‘Amazing Grace’.

Afterwards, Karen and I went to the Motor Court for the after show jamming sessions and more Sam Baker hugs!

Sunday’s Hoot and Ellis got to sing ‘Minor Key’. Just a great, great festival. I’ve only scratched the surface of what went on - so many fantastic moments throughout.

Richard will hopefully be posting a selection of his pix by the end of the week.

Jela

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:35 am

Oh Jela,

What a great review. Thank you, thank you!

It sure sounds like you were in "musical paradise!"

I've become a huge fan of Anthony da Costa. He is what I'd call an "old soul." Glad you got a chance to see him.

I figured the emotion level would be running high throughout the festival in honor of Bob Childers. I'm sure his spirit was all over Okemah and he was smiling down on all of you fine people.

Look forward to seeing Richard's pics.

Monica R.

annieb

Postby annieb » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:55 pm

You guys!! That just sounds like soooo much fun!! :)

Thanks for all the reviews! I look forward to pics too!!

So glad you all had a great time! :)

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:57 pm

Thanks for the wonderful report, Jela. :) Sounds like a great time! 8)

Looking forward to all the news that's fit to print (did Ellis and co. come up with any new verses of Calendar Man this go round? :P ) as well as any and all photos taken in and around Okemah. Safe travels, all.
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:41 am

Just to say that a selection of Richard's pix are in the 'Photograph' thread.

Jela

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:59 am

Richard's pictures are incredible.. check them out :)
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:03 pm

Folks,

Here's a minute and a half of Ellis' performance of "Minor Key" from the Sunday hootenanny. :)

Love what Monica Taylor added on harmony!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZkGiOVQbZG0

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:56 am

Folks,

Finally. Here's all the report that's fit to print. :)

I flew into Tulsa on Tuesday, July 8 for the pre-festival tribute to Bob Childers held at Cain’s Ballroom in Tulsa that night. Performers were Jimmy LaFave, Joel Rafael, the Burns Sisters, The Red Dirt Rangers and others. Proceeds from the show were donated to Bob’s sons, Zach and Jesse, to help with family expenses. Drove back to Norman, OK after the show and stayed at BeckyG’s.

Picked up my rental car in Norman the next morning and headed to Okemah. Hooked up with Richard and Jela at the motel and headed into town for dinner at the Brick Street before the Wednesday night opening show at the Crystal theater: Country Joe McDonald’s one-man, two-act tribute to Woody Guthrie. Country Joe read Woody’s words, sang, and told stories. He ended with an encore number – his famous song whose familiar chorus “One, two, three, what are we fighting for?” had the crowd singing along. It was a great way to start the festival. :)

Thursday morning I headed to the Brick Street again for several daytime shows. The three sets that I managed to get in were all really really good: Alexinder Gunn, Jimmy Davis and Emily Elbert. I wish I had taken some notes because now I can’t remember any particular songs. Since I was media chair for the festival this year, work interfered at times, but it’s all good. :)

Thursday night at the Pastures of Plenty was Rob McNurlin, who I really love, Nancy Apple, David and Adam Amram, Kevin Welch and Butch Hancock. All stellar performances. Amram’s “Okemah Blues” – where he calls everyone up on stage - was over the top.

Friday morning at the Brick I didn’t want to miss Okemah’s own John Fullbright. I absolutely loved his stuff. He must be 18 or 19 years old now – he was still in high school the first time he performed at WoodyFest – and he is so polished for his age that it’s pretty amazing. He ended with a powerful rendition of Leonard Cohen’s “halleluia” – a song I would hear at least two more times before weekend’s end. Next I scurried up the street to catch Audrey Auld at the Crystal. Andrew Harding (who many of you know as Tom Russell’s longtime side-man) played with her. She is just so darn funny and writes such good songs.

Headed next door to the historical society when Audrey finished for the 1pm table reading of a play about Bob Wills (famous musician from Oklahoma) and Woody Guthrie. John Cooper and Brad Piccolo of the Red Dirt Rangers read the two parts. It was very enjoyable and something different to experience at WoodyFest. (See my online photo album in the Photograph forum.)

Although I planned to take in the Red Dirt Rangers and Jon Vezner later that afternoon, work interfered and instead I was an observer as three BBC filmmakers interviewed Sonny Ochs under a big tree in the city park – where Ellis would do his childrens’ show the next day. The BBC is doing a documentary on American folk music and spent a day and a half in Okemah filming musical performances and conducting interviews. The night before, I help arranged an interview with Woody’s sister, Mary Jo at the Pastures of Plenty. All of that was pretty exciting and when I know more about the documentary, I’ll let you all know.

Headed to the Rocky Road Tavern to catch the Burns Sisters who, because they had to leave on Friday, did a couple songs at the open mic at Lou’s at 4:30pm. One was their a cappella “no more silence” - is a powerful and beautiful song.

Friday night highlights were John Gorka’s WoodyFest debut and the Phil Ochs’ tribute which closed the evening. The BBC got most of it on film. It’ll be great if we see even a portion of it in the documentary. Sonny Ochs’ provided narration as each of the performers went ‘round robin twice doing songs. Performers were Jimmy LaFave, John Gorka, John Flynn, Sean Flynn, Red Dirt Rangers, David Amram. Sean Flynn did a killer version of of Phil Ochs’ “I’m gonna say it now” that brought the house down. Proud dad, John, sat quietly behind capturing his son on his cell phone camera which was fun to watch. Towards the end of the set, Sonny Ochs brought out a surprise performer – Anthony da Costa - who did a song he said Sonny had give him to learn 3 hours earlier: “draft dodger”. I think Jela has already mentioned it. The whole Phil Ochs’ tribute was really really wonderful. I must admit I wasn’t that familiar with Phil Ochs and now have a better understanding of how important his legacy is.

Got very little sleep since I had to be back in Okemah at Lou’s Rocky Road Tavern (next door to the Brick Street) at 8am the next morning for the annual can’t miss Mary Jo’s Pancake Breakfast. You all should know/understand that everything in downtown Okemah is a short walk from each other, which is really great. Jela already talked about how emotional it was without Bob Childers’ – and yet his presence was felt. I simply lost it when Jimmy opened with “I’ll fly away”. Wow. And it was Jimmy’s birthday so we sang “happy birthday” to him. :) John Gorka did a song he performed the night before: “1913 massacree”. Wow again. And he was wearing a WYEP Pittsburgh t-shirt! Had to get a picture of that! :)

The breakfast ended with just enough time to hot-foot it next door for Anthony da Costa’s 11am set at the Brick Street. He opened with Dan Bern’s “Jerusalem” which brought the house down. What a very talented and amazingly confident young performer.

As soon as Anthony ended, headed the street to the city park with Richard and Jela where the Red Dirt Rangers were ending their childrens’ set. They hung around and played with Ellis on his first song “the cat came back” then Ellis continued with:

wabi sabi
because it’s there
road trip
the bed song
I like to swing
dragonfly races

As Jela mentioned, little 3-year old Jada was brave enough to stay on stage with Ellis for the last 3 songs. There were several wee folk in the crowd playing harmonica, which is how Jada ended up on stage. Ellis invited the harmonica players up, but they all declined. :)

My camera battery was almost dead so I had to rest up a bit back at the motel and re-charge my battery…then it was zoom to the Crystal for Sam Baker’s 3pm set. What can I say? He is really good and really funny. :)

The Saturday night line-up was the Red Dirt Rangers, Joel Rafael, ELLIS PAUL (Yay!), Jimmy Lafave and Judy Collins. Ellis’ setlist:

1. The day the levee broke
2. Once upon a summertime
(both on baby grande piano)

Then Radoslav Lorkovic (on piano except as noted) and Don Conoscenti (on electric guitar) joined him on stage for:

3. 3000 miles
4. Maria’s beautiful mess
5. Alice’s champagne palace
6. Take all the sky you need
7. God’s promise (rain begins)
8. Walking after midnight/change
9. Blacktop train (Rad on accordion)

What can I say about Mr. Paul except that it's never, ever enough! :)

Jimmy Lafave was his usual swoonworthy self ;) and it was a pleasure to hear Judy Collins for the first time live.

The Sunday hootenanny to close out the festival was just spectacular. It gets better every year. Almost everyone performed: Joel Rafael, nancy Apple, Rob McNurlin, Amy Speace, Tony Lee Thomas and Jon Vezner (whose solo sets I had missed), Ronny Elliott, David Amram, and also Ellis, who did as mentioned previously “minor key” with Audrey Auld and Monica Taylor on harmony. It ended with the house band and everyone singing Bob Childers’ “walking woody’s road”. Bad news: it’s over for another year. :(

Good news: only 355 days till 2009 WoodyFest! Be there or be square! :D

Sunday night, BeckyG, Richard and Jela and I caught DonCon's post-WoodyFest show at The Chouse in Norman, but only managed to stay for the first half since we had early-morning flights. Don also did the Leonard Cohen "halleluia" and it was simply spell-binding. Great closing to a great weekend.

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Re: WoodyFest 2008

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:22 pm

Great report - I just wish I could re-live it all again. WoodyFest is just the best festival ever!

Jela

Return to “3000 Miles”