FitzGerald’s – Berwyn, Illinois – 1/13/07

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

AndaleOrbea

FitzGerald’s – Berwyn, Illinois – 1/13/07

Postby AndaleOrbea » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:20 pm

Dear Friends:

Last night’s show was awesome! It was held in the Sidebar at FitzGerald's. It was a pretty small setting - probably about 80 people.

As you know, today is Ellis’ birthday (Happy Birthday EPaul!). Well yesterday’s show was fantastic. Karen flew in from Pittsburgh for an 18 hour whirlwind trip to Chicago, several of my colleagues from work and their spouses attended their first EP show (trying to make devotees whenever possible), and they were not disappointed.

Ellis did three – count them – three sets! How cool is that? 28 Songs!

Ellis received a few gifts, including guitar picks and a radio-controlled dragonfly for his birthday. We had a temporary (the one that was not the gift) dragonfly charged and ready for his use before the second set. There were only a few mishaps before the second set started – ‘Dusty’ flew into a woman’s hair and got trapped there and almost required emergency surgery (I’m kidding). He also nosedived into a glass of Chardonnay which spilled all over another woman’s lap. After that, Drunken Dusty passed out until the show was over. Thankfully the woman who got soaked with wine was totally understanding – I guess that’s the hazards of seating in the front row, although it could have happened to anyone.

Ellis also received a big ol’ monster birthday cookie from Pittsburgh, 48 cupcakes to share with the audience, with 43 candles, and a really nice ice cream cake from his manager Ralph and assistant Rachel. The treats were brought in on his final song (The World Ain’t Slowing Down) and he was really surprised. We all sang Happy Birthday to him immediately following the show. Thanks for everyone who participated!

Home by 12:15 am and up early to take Karen back to the airport. Thanks Karen for coming out. We’re so glad you could make it!

Here is the setlist from the show:

1. Maria’s Beautiful Mess
2. Walking After Midnight/Change (cover from Sam Baker) Medley
3. Alice’s Champagne Palace
4. 3,000 Miles
5. Take All the Sky You Need
6. Jukebox On My Grave
7. Wabi-Sabi
8. Calendar Man
9. Rollaway Bed
10. Martyr’s Lounge
11. Little Wood Guitar
12. Way Over Yonder in the Minor Key
13. Because It’s There
14. She’s History

Intermission I

15. Snow In Austin
16. Blacktop Train (Acoustic in the audience)
17. The Cat Came Back
18. Road Trip
19. Speed of Trees (Acoustic in the audience)
20. Sweet Mistakes (Acoustic in the audience)
21. God’s Promise
22. The Ballad of Chris McCandless (Acoustic in the audience)

Intermission II

23. Cotton’s Burning
24. If I Could Catch the Rain (Piano)
25. Once Upon a Summertime (Piano)
26. Home (Piano)
27. Did Galileo Pray?
28. The World Ain’t Slowing Down

It really was another fun Ellis Paul experience :D . Thank you Ellis for making it so much fun! And thanks to all the staff at Fitzgerald's! Bill, Abby and the rest. Ya'll made it a blast and were so helpful with all of the coordination that needed to be done.
Dean

mm

Postby mm » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:50 pm

It sounds like an over-the-top and incredibly wonderful experience! How fun it all sounded. Happy Birthday EP! I'm so glad Karen got to breeze in and out for that one in particular.

Hello Elaine and hello Dean, (I'm sure you were a perfect gentleman to those around you!!).

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:19 pm

WOW... what a show.. what a night... too funny about the drunk dragonfly!!
Thanks for sharing..
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:24 pm

Thanks for posting the report Dean! So nice NOT to have to post the setlist! :)

Let's see if I can add anything.....

Well, Ellis started out by commenting that it was Sunday night....and this was church. At that point I yelled "Amen, Brother!" I think he heard it through the din since he kinda looked over our way and smiled, but I'm not sure. :) (It could have been Dean's party hat and horn that prompted the smile.) :) After starting off with my all-time-favorite EP song (yes, I admit it) Maria's Beautiful Mess, I had to hold back an intense urge to shout out "I have been to the MOUNTAIN!" :) That so perfectly describes what it's like....

The pecan pie in "little wood guitar" magically changed to pumpkin. Elaine and I both looked at each other in shock and dismay. ;)

It was hard to stomp (Bonnie, you would have hated it!) on "Blacktop Train" because of the carpeting in church. T'weren't no Baptist church.....

It was such a thrill to hear "Ballad of Chris McCandless" again - it's been awhile - and I thought for sure that EP might be rusty on the words, but he nailed them all. :)

I only recognized one other person who I knew. That was kind of odd....but good for EP that quite a few persons (from what I determined helping with merch) were attending their first show. One woman told me she came to the show simply because the ad in the paper (or wherever) described Ellis as being a "storyteller and songwriter". When I asked her if she had gotten enough storytelling she replied "Oh, yes!". :) I sent them to the website to buy Essentials for the songs they wanted to hear again, since there were no copies of the CD there....

Great show all-around. :)

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Patti

Postby Patti » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:51 pm

It was such a thrill to hear "Ballad of Chris McCandless" again - it's been awhile - and I thought for sure that EP might be rusty on the words, but he nailed them all.

And don't you just love the introduction.... I could be happy with just hearing that ....well not really, but I do like it... especially the way his hand kind of flies in the air as he picks the notes one at a time. :)

Karen yelling out at his show, how could you!! Could it be the champagne from New Year has made you a changed woman!! Sounds like fun.
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

Return to “3000 Miles”