The Uptown Coffehouse - Bronx, NY - Jan. 6, 2008

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

Nance

The Uptown Coffehouse - Bronx, NY - Jan. 6, 2008

Postby Nance » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:26 pm

Hi Everyone,

It's been a long time since I've posted any messages. There were lots of old friends at tonight's show at the "Uptown Coffeehouse" in the Bronx (not to be confused with Manhattan :) ) I'm pretty confident that Shari will come up with a setlist....which was amazing!!!

Ellis really connected with the venue (The Ethical Culture Society) and a good deal of time was spent, with much laughter and good smiles, figuring out the history of the building as well as fine-tuning the differences/similarities of living in Manhattan vs the Bronx. I'm really glad that Ellis honored my request of "Angel In Manhattan". Though the time of the concert was "not afternoon brunch nor early dinner" and a bottle of Jack Daniels is yet to be found, I still say what I do everytime I hear Ellis, and meet old friends and make new...."This was the best show yet!"

Nancy

shari

Postby shari » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:22 am

Nance,

Right you are. I have the setlist. :-) And I have to heartilty agree that this was a fabulous show. Two weekends in a row - I was worried about overdose but the energy in the room this afternoon was fabulous. First the setlist:

Pre-Show Tuneup Rant about parking -- all who were there are smiling right now. :-)

Set 1

- If I Could Catch the Rain (Piano)
- Once Upon a Summertime (Piano)
- Maria's Beautiful Mess
- Jukebox on My Grave
- Wabi-Sabi (not wasabi)
- Alice's Champagne Palace
- Conversation with a Ghost
- Did Galileo Pray (audience participation)
- Take All the Sky You Need
- Million Chameleon March (Baby's 1st Protest Song)

Set 2 (entirely unplugged in the audience)

- Home
- She's History
- Black Top Train
- Rollaway Bed
- Angel in Manhatten
- Sweet Mistakes
- Hard Travelin

Encore: Calendar Man

Sleep is calling my name. I will try to post some stories tommorrow. It was a very, very, very fun time.

Night All!

Shari

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:05 am

Thansk for the reports, EP Devotees! 8)

My friend Ammon who recently moved to NYC was there. It was his first EP show without me, which is just wrong. :cry: (But I guess it qualifies him as an EP Devotee too.) :D

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:01 pm

Thanks for the report(s) Shari and Nance :D

Welcome aboard Nance!!!

Happy to read that the show was beyond expectation.... :D

I saw the start time of 5pm on the tour dates page and thought it seemed kind of an odd time to start a show...just goes to show ya, ya never, ever know what Ellis is capable of doing on any given night.... :wink:

Angel in Manhattan...what a treat.... :wink:

Karen...let's look around the country for an old car museum that might be open to Ellis performing a concert in.....like I said, ya never know. :lol:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:39 pm

Karen....

Just in case

http://lemaymuseum.org/

Afterall...lots of "old cars" out there with folks "singing their praises" :wink:
paddy

shari

Postby shari » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:10 pm

Karen,

I met Ammon there :-)! and I am looking forward to seeing him at more shows -- hopefully *with* you, but without you if that's how it needs to be.

:-)

Shari

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:41 am

Shari,

We've tentatively penciled in The Mansion in Middeltown, NY in March. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:57 am

Not to be a 5th wheel here.... :lol:

The Mansion looks promising -- I like the Sunday afternoon start times.

Their website looks cool, too -- with EP's photo among others...

http://www.friendsofmusic.net/
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:03 pm

...and if that ain't enough to whet the ol' whistle......

from The Mansion website:

Ellis Paul
Sunday March 16th, 2008 ~ 3pm
$22 members/$25 non
Ellis has been with the Friends of Music since the beginning...1995. We have seen his popularity grow from a small dedicated fan base to sell-outs in theaters and concert halls. Ellis, however, hasn’t forgotten about little ‘ole us and once again has agreed to play the Mansion in what will easily be a sold-out show. His intimate ballads and their provocative imagery, defines Ellis’s songwriting style at its best. It is with great pleasure to welcome back Ellis Paul to the Mansion.

:D
paddy

shari

Postby shari » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:40 am

YAY! I will be at the mansion. This will be my first time there....

Hope to see you!

Return to “3000 Miles”