WoodyFest 2009

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

WoodyFest 2009

Postby KarenZ » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:21 am

Folks,

We're one month behind (from last year) in starting a WoodyFest thread.....but it's now OFFICIAL! (Some things are worth waiting for!) ;-)

WoodyFest 2009 Sneak Preview

I know Jela is giddy with Mark Erelli making his WoodyFest debut. :D

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: WoodyFest 2009

Postby KarenZ » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:58 am

Jela,

I think I started this thread while you were away. Just noticed that Jonatha Brooke has been added too! :shock:

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:46 am

Karen and all Woodyfest folks.......

Just heard that on Gene Shay's Folk Show tonight Gene will have a segment on Woodyfest.

The Folk Show with Gene Shay

You can listen in on WXPN 88.5 fm in Philadelphia here and beyond by streaming the show through the station's website. Gene's show airs Sunday nights from 8-11pm EDT and please note you can email him some requests for him to play on the show. Those emails could start piling up fast if I know you Woodyfest folks..... :wink:

The world wide web is open 24/7 so start your search engines and let Gene know you're out there!!! :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:16 am

I missed this thread when it started - Karen wrote

I know that Jela is giddy with Mark Erelli making his WoodyFest debut

Too right I am and I can't believe that all my favourite people are going to be at WoodyFest this year - I will be in my element!

Noticed too that Butch Hancock has recently been added to the list - hope that he might put Joe Ely (and Jimmie Dale Gilmore) in his suitcase and bring them along as well.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:51 am

Folks,

The final schedule for WoodyFest 2009 has been confrmed. Ellis performs Friday night at the Pastures of Plenty and Saturday afternoon at the Children's Festival.

Here's a link to a printer-friendly copy of the schedule:

2009 WoodyFest Schedule

KarenZ

Jimmy Pollard

Postby Jimmy Pollard » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:38 am

My whole clan is there!!!! See you there!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:58 am

Jimmy and other WoodyFesters - see you there! I'll be heading to Okemah Tuesday morning. OMG! I'm not ready! :)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:41 am

Nice coverage of WoodyFest in today's Oklahoman! And a picture of Ellis Paul! I wonder how that happened? ;-)

Wanda & Woody: Rock Hall of Famer’s benefit leads into annual Woody Guthrie Folk Fest

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:04 pm

We fly to OKC on Tuesday and get to Okemah on Wednesday and are SO looking forward to the fest and all the great people we see there.

MonicaR - will you be there this year? BillE? DanaJ?

Safe travels to everyone who is on their way to WoodyFest next week.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:52 pm

Folks,

Here's another article promoting this year's WoodyFest that just happens to include a picture of Ellis! :)

Fayetteville Free Weekly: WoodyFest - July 2, 2009

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:19 pm

nice pic of ellis barefoot and blue (soon to be black?) skies!!

Boy Ellis is getting a lot of nice press for this event.. that is great media correspondences going on! :wink:
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:42 am

Wishing I was in Okemah, Oklahoma, but I'm there in spirit!!!

Can't wait to hear all about it!

Monica R.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:06 pm

MonicaR and all,

wish you could be here. Tuesday's night pre-festival benefit show in tulsa with Wanda jackson was wonderful....and last night's festival kick-off with SONiA and Jonatha Brooke at the Crystal in Okemah was absolutely spleniferous! Wow, wow, wow....two really amazing female singer-songwriters.....

Just got a minute or two to check e-mail here at the Okemah Public Library....where it's going to be 96 degrees today.... :)

KarenZ

monicar wrote:Wishing I was in Okemah, Oklahoma, but I'm there in spirit!!!

Can't wait to hear all about it!

Monica R.

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:11 pm

Sounds GREAT, Karen. I really, really like Jonatha's Woody album.

The 96 degrees sounds GREAT too. We are in the 60s here by the ocean. I am really getting tired of wearing socks in July. This is just plain crazy!

Passed on my cell number to Jimmy Pollard's son this morning, so hope to get some good phone calls throughout the weekend!

Tell everyone I said hello and enjoy the rest of your time in Okemah!

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:00 pm

WoodyFest was an absolute blast from beginning to end! I will post a report at some stage as I get my head together from all the wonderful experiences of the past 5 days. Don't know where to start and am currently in Norman OK using the public library to check e-mails etc.

MonicaR - we missed you and hope that you did get to hear some stuff by 'phone.

Sue Ellen - I was 'verklempt' - more than once - you know who I mean!

Karen and I got to sit up on stage during Ellis' set - WOW, WOW and triple WOW! I am SO lucky and sometimes can't believe that I get to have such wonderful experiences as a music fan. Everyone at WoodyFest makes us feel so special, we get treated so well and taken care of in just the best ways.

Will post more idc but we're not home until 25th so may be a while. Richard got some nice photos too so he'll post those idc too.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:53 pm

Thanks for the updates and safe travels all.

Also, I sent a friend the youtube link for Ellis doing Woody's "God's Promise" at Guthrie Center.

It went straight up on her Facebook Wall with the byline:

This is awesome!

8)
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:59 pm

Hi everyone,

I may never get caught up, but here's a little something for you. :)

Ellis Paul performing "Road Trip" at WoodyFest 2009

KarenZ

emilyg

Postby emilyg » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:41 pm

Karen,
How much fun! I was on the other side of the tree...I can't believe I missed seeing you at the children's festival!! Olivia experienced her first EP show and LOVED every second of it!! I'm glad I ran into you, Richard and Jela, Becky and the rest of the gang!!! I hope you all have safe travels home!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:23 pm

Emily,

I can't believe I didn't see you there either! But I'm glad I saw you at the Pastures! Good for Olivia! :)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:21 am

Rather than waiting to do a full posting as I've got free access to the Internet at the place we're staying in in Portland, Oregon I though that I'd start to share some of my WoodyFest memories......

First up was the incredible line up, if someone asked me for my top four musical favourites it would be Ellis, Sam Baker, Mark Erelli and Jimmy LaFave. To have the opportunity of seeing them in one place was like a dream come true.....

During Ellis' main stage set, as I've mentioned already, Karen and I got to sit up on stage, what an incredible memory that is and one that I will hold dear forever. In addition to the 'usual suspects' Don and Rad, Don's friend Patrick was part of the band and played percussion throughout. Patrick had had about 15 minutes rehearsal time beforehand but you'd never had known it, he was just 'spot on'. We heard two of the songs from the new CD 'The Day After Everything Changed' - 'Hurricane Angel' and 'Anna Lee'. Ellis also played the new 'Dragonfly' song (co-write with Sam Baker) and was accompanied by Monica Taylor for that. 'God's Promise' saw Ellis invite The Burns Sisters on stage to accompany him - they have recorded the song on one of their CDs. He also did a children's show and I only just got there in time as I was delayed by my first Sam Baker hug :lol:

Sam Baker - what can I say, I just love this man! As well as playing a set with a band (Rad, Don, Terry 'Buffalo' Ware, Audrey Auld) he hosted one of the songwriting workshops and I got to sit in on for most of that. It was absolutely fascinating to listen to him (and Ronny Elliott) talking about their writing and answering questions posed by the attendees, who were budding songwriters themselves.

Mark Erelli was making his WoodyFest debut and what a show! It was hot in the Crystal Theatre, literally and metaphorically. Introduced as 'the People's Choice' he was the overwhelming favourite when people filled in last year's feedback sheets in response to a question asking who they would like to see at WoodyFest, who hadn't appeared before. He received a great reception and I'm hoping that he gets invited back. Wonderful, wonderful set.

Jimmy LaFave - a stalwart of this festival and Saturday night headliner. Really hot band - Rad, John Inmon (guitar god), Glenn Schultz (bass) and Mark Patterson (drums). A storming set including 'Only One Angel' 'Hideway Girl' some Dylan covers 'Just Like a Woman' and 'Dusty Old Fairgrounds' and a very rare performance of Neil Young's 'Out on the Weekend'. As he started to get to the end of his set, during the last three songs - 'Oklahoma Hills', 'Will the Circle Be Unbroken' and 'This Land is Your Land' he gradually invited more and more performers on stage so that by the end it was full and the crowd was on its feet dancing, clapping anr singing along. Just brilliant!

It was lovely to see board members, KarenZ (we spent a lot of time together), BeckyG, Emily, BillE (and Margaret) DanaJ, throughout the festival. We also caught up with Austin friends as well as old and new ones in Okemah.

I will post more later as there are so many great moments to talk about. It's a wonderful festival, full of delights and once you go, you get hooked for all time.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:52 am

Folks,

I'm still not caught up, but I think I can finally eek out a few minutes to post the WoodyFest setlist:

Children's Festival
I got to the children's festival during the Red Dirt Rangers set and found Ellis on stage with them, so I'm not sure if/what I missed but I saw Ellis perform the last 3 songs of the Rangers' set with them:
Bed Song
Old Dan Tucker
This Land is Your Land

Then Ellis took the stage solo and did:
Because it's There
Road Trip (see link to video posted previously)
Dragonfly Races
I Like to Swing
My Mother Popped Out (poem)
I've Been Working on the Railroad/She'll be Coming 'Round the Mountain medley

Pastures of Plenty
Later that evening Ellis performed at the Pastures of Plenty, supported by Don Conoscenti (guitar), Rad Lorkovis (piano and accordion) and Patrick Turnmire (percussion):

Hurricane Angel (solo; on piano)
Take all the sky you need
Alice's Champagne Palace
Maria's Beautiful Mess
3000 Miles
Dragonfly/Was It You (with harmony by Monica Taylor)
Black Top Train
God's Promise (with harmony by the Burns Sisters)
The World Ain't Slowing down
Encore:
Anna Lee

Another terrific WoodyFest performance! :)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:39 pm

More memories from WoodyFest....

Headliners were Stoney LaRue/John Gorka/Jimmy LaFave.

SLR attracted a really young crowd and had them eating out of the palm of his hand - it was great to see so many young ones (girls) having such a great time at WoodyFest. They almost broke down thru' the security barrier in their enthusiasm for him but when he told them 'no' they all did as they were told and sat back!!! If they keep on with artists like this WoodyFest will just go on and on forever!

John Gorka - perhaps not an obvious choice for a headliner as he has such a mellow stage presence but I love his work and really enjoyed his set. He has such a self-deprecating wit and the crowd really warmed to him.

Jimmy - I've already mentioned :P

What else.....when John Flynn was performing on main stage two young girls, aged about 7 stood right at the front and about three of four times, during his performance shouted out 'I love you John Flynn' he laughed, clearly enjoying himself too and when he'd finished the two fans raced over to the signing tent as fast as their little legs could carry them! It was so funny to observe them.

Andrea Parodi from Italy sang Townes van Zandt's 'Tecumsah Valley' in Italian - it sent shivers down me and then surpassed that with 'Pancho and Lefty' where Andrew Hardin started off singing the first verse in English, Andrea the secon in Italian and throughout they alternated but at times harmonised, one in Italian, one in English - just stunning!

BettySoo - discovered her at this year's SXSW so was delighted to see her at WoodyFest. New CD is produced by Gurf Morlix and it's a winner. Has a really expressive voice and writes beautiful songs about relationships, good and bad.

'Ellis' boy' Chris O'Brien hadn't been scheduled to perform but due to Terri Hendrix's ill health late cancellation he got on the bill at the Brick St cafe and was really good. Particularly liked a song called 'Rosa'

So many great moments...there are more and I'll try to post again when time permits. (am currently posting from Sisters, Oregon Public Library)

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:14 pm

Folks,

Here's a link to a video about this year's festival posted by Ashley McKee for The Daily Oklahoman.(Warning - no EP coverage.)

2009 Woody Guthrie Folk Festival

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:05 pm

Folks,

Justr stumbled across what Jonatha Brooke wrote in her blog after performing at WoodyFest. It's sweet. :)

Jonatha's blog

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:50 pm

Folks,

Festival photographer, Jim Dirden, has posted his pictures from this year's festival:

WoodyFest 2009

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:48 pm

Here's a copy of my WoodyFest review which appeared in the October issue of 'Maverick' here in the UK.

Jela
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:59 pm

Jela,

Thanks for another terrific WoodyFest review! Appreciate the international coverage! You and Richard rock! :)

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:21 pm

Excellent Jela... what a nice 2 PAGE piece with a couple of excellent photos.. (Sam Baker for one , surprise surprise!! :)
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:57 am

Very nice read, Jela.

Your day job should be worried.....very very worried.

:wink:
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:23 pm

Thanks y'all for your kind comments.

Patti, I sent in 6 photos with the article knowing that 3 or 4 might be printed but left it to the Editor to decide which ones, the fact that Sam Baker was one of the chosen photos sure put a smile on my face :wink:

Jela

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:02 am

Excellent review, as always, Jela!! Thank you for sharing!

Monica R.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:05 pm

Thanks Monica. Maybe see you at WoodyFest in 2010?

Jela

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:39 am

I wish I could say yes, Jela, but I highly doubt it. With my son heading to college next year, it's just not financially prudent for me to be selfish. HA!

I will continue playing the lottery though, so you just never know.

My nephew turned 21 yesterday which was the 21st, so I played the daily number seeing as 21 is my lucky number. Woke up still poor. HA!

Funny ..... when I got my copy of Ellis' latest CD it was numbered 112. My son's b-day is 11/21, so that is also something I play and actually have been somewhat lucky. When I saw the number on the CD, I thought it was a "sign," so ran up and played the number ...... woke up still poor once again.

Hoping once of these days, I catch a break. I'm rich in many other ways though, so it's all good!

:D
MonicaR.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:24 am

Folks,

A review of the 2009 WoodyFest was just published in the February 2010 issue of Italy's Buscadero magazine. Unfortunately for me, I can't read Italian. But I think I've sorta figured out what Frederico Donnelli wrote about Ellis Paul and others. And it's always nice seeing pictures of Sam Baker, Rad Lorkovic, and Jimmy LaFave (*swoon*). :) I had the pleasure of escorting Frederico around Okemah. I guess one of the perks of being Media Chair is hanging out with cute, young, Italians. ;) And Frederico mentions me twice on the first page! I think it says he likes me. ;) Frederico is pictured on the last page with Steve Earle and his good friend Andrea Parodi.

The article is attached below and can be viewed by registered members of the board. The Dave Matthews Band is pictured on the cover. 8)

KarenZ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:29 am

Of course it says he likes you!!!!

I want your job in Okemah. He's a cutie!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!

Monica R.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:06 am

Great coverage for WoodyFest - perhaps it'll encourage more young Italians to attend in 2010!

Federico is a sweetheart; he went up even higher in my estimation when I found out that he was another Mark Erelli nut :wink:

Jela

Return to “3000 Miles”