WoodyFest 2008

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

Mtn Gal

Re: WoodyFest 2008

Postby Mtn Gal » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:41 pm

Excellent review Karen! Sounds like an amazing time! WoodyFest is so on my list of things to do before I die!
"Nobody can dim the light which shines from within." ~ Maya Angelou

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:24 am

This was posted yesterday on the WoodyFest discussion board in a thread about Favorite Moments from the festival. :)

"The most unforgetable moment from the 2008 festival was during the Ellis Paul set. When it looked like the rain was really going to break loose. Hundreds of fans were understandably running for cover. Ellis was standing near the front of the stage and looked as if he was bracing himself for a hurricane. Most of the rest of the crowd were on their feet dancing. In the middle of the stage two roadies were trying to cover the piano but Rad refused to stop playing. It looked like they were trying to cover the keys and he just kept going. They had most of it covered but he just kept playing. It was great watching the three of them playing like there was nothing wrong. We were lucky that nothing really came of it except a refreshing rain and a cool light show.

Thanks to all the people that make Woodyfest such a great festival."

:)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

danaj

Postby danaj » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:45 pm

I'm with David Amram The AMAZING on this one... The other 361 days of the year, you're wishing you were in Okemah!!! :D

Great festival, soooooo good to see Richard and Jela again, and KarenZ. Only saw BeckyG from afar... :(

I can't do any better than the folks above me describing the 11th annual Woody Guthrie Festival. So, I won't even try. :wink:

Sorry I missed Sunday night's Annual-Post-Woody-Fest-Sleep-Deprived concert at the Chouse. Once I got home on Sunday, fed the girlies something that didn't involve sandwich meat and bread :lol: I thought I'd just lay my weary head down for a little bit. No need for an alarm... And I woke up at 5:30. Monday morning! :oops:

Looking forward to next year!!!
“Life has got a habit of not standing hitched. You got to ride it like you find it. You got to change with it. If a day goes by that don't change some of your old notions for new ones, that is just about like trying to milk a dead cow.” -Woody Guthrie

monicar

Postby monicar » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:10 am

Thought you WoodyFest attendees would be interested in this! Saw CSN last night and they sang Joel Rafael's "This Is My Country" (of which Crosby and Nash sang back-up on the recording). Nash talked a little bit about Joel and Crosby and Nash performed it. It was GREAT and got an incredible response from the audience!

Betcha a lot of people googled Joel after the show!

Monica R.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:01 am

Monica - that's good to hear. During WoodyFest, Richard was talking with Joel (we're both fans of his) and mentioned that we'd bought his CD 'Thirteen Stories High' as soon as it came out.

Joel mentioned and seemed really pleased that CSN were covering 'This is my Country' during their US tour. I sure hope that it exposes Joel's music to a much wider audience - he deserves to be heard.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:27 am

Folks,

Here are links to several YouTube videos from this year's festival. Mary Jo Guthrie Edgmon appears in the first one.

Festival overview

John Gorka - "I'm From New Jersey"

Don Conoscenti

Alexinder Gunn on Good Day Tulsa

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:55 pm

For me and many others, Sean Flynn performing Phil Ochs' "I'm going to say it now" was one of many highlights of the 2008 WoodyFest:

Sean Flynn - Phil Ochs' Tribute

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:01 am

I have finally managed to get a pdf copy of my WoodyFest review which was published in Maverick Magazine (Issue 74, September) and am pleased to be able to share it here. The photos in the article are Richard's.

Jela
Woody Guthrie Fest 2008.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:12 am

Jela,

Wow....what a wonderful article! It really captures the spirit of this year's festival and it is so nice to have it posted here. :)

Keep up the good work! (Some people will do anything to get a hug from Jimmy LaFave or Sam Baker.) ;)

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:35 am

Jela,

AWESOME review! Thank you, thank you for sharing. You certainly captured the spirit of that festival.

And, Karen, you can add me to the list of "doing anything" to get a hug from Jimmy LaFave. :lol:

Monica R.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:06 pm

Thanks for the nice comments - much appreciated.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:14 pm

Jela

Fantastic!

8)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:28 am

Folks,

In the interest of tiem, I'm cutting and pasting from news I posted on the WoodyFest board:

Gene Shay's 2008 WoodyFest hightlights will air on the days/times listed below. This piece features Judy Collins, John Gorka, Jimmy LaFave, and others, plus a short interview with Woody’s kid sister, Mary Jo Guthrie Edgmon.

Saturday, April 4, 2009 between 5-7pm EST on Folk Alley (8 min)

Sunday, April 5, 2009 between 8-11pm EST (probably ~10:30pm) on WXPN (15 min.)

Wednesday, April 8, 2009 between 5-7pm EST on Folk Alley (8 min.)

It may be repeated on other radio shows as well. Will provide deatails as they are made known.

KarenZ

Return to “3000 Miles”